• Thread starter Thread starter vijaya901
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 22
  • Views Views 8,847

vijaya901

Regulars
ISP
DATA ONE
How to set MTU in UTStar 300R2U? I am having BSNL modem and those screens are not like MTNL 300R2U. After setting VPI and VCI it goes to another page where we can set Bridged, WINPPOE etc.,. Then goes to Service Name page and then it ends. There is no option to set MTU or TCPRWindow etc.,. Can some one help me? Settings in Windows registry is not getting effected.

Last edited by a moderator:
DRTCP: How do I use it, & what are all these settings?
EasyMTU, as easy as it gets to speed up your internet connection!
Para two :
Select the link showing the Device status of your modem UT300R2U.
to confirm whether MTU settings are possible.

Thanks for the reply. My modem software version is little different from the above. My modem details:
Board ID: 96338L-2M-8M
Software Version: 3.08.02.UB.01.14_1357_100807
Bootloader (CFE) Version: 1.0.37-10.1
Firmware Version: UT300R2U.0011.01
Hardware Version: UT300R2U 2.2

The MTU settings made in Windows Registry doesn't get effected. It still remains the same irrespective of the value we give in Windows. I tried few softwares which all changed it but only in Windows.

Last edited by a moderator:
1.Your modem listed No.10.in the link given by me.
img156.imageshack.us/img156/3443/25105080px5.jpg
2. Did you try DR TCP ? or EasyMTU program ?
3. Open WAn page and see UserId/password page.
( If in \"bridged\" mode will not appear )
Post screenshot of your modem's WAN page
REF:Max MTU: How do I find mine? Tweaking FAQ - dslreports.com

I changed from Bridged mode but still those options are missing. WAN page screenshot means which page? I am giving you the first page. This is the setting I presently use(bridged mode enabled for now) and I didn't get MTU even after changing from Bridged mode.

Detailed steps will help me in this regard.

http://img95.imageshack.us/my.php?image=67981840ua2.jpg

Problem :How to set MTU in UTStar 300R2U
1.Searched screenshots. There is no option available. in any model of UT300R2U
2. Try Dr TCP or TCP/IP optimizer from speedguide.net.
3. What is the present settings for MRU TTL and MTU etc.
4. More "Gyan" here. ::. Kitz - Tweaking MTU settings .::

Problem :How to set MTU in UTStar 300R2U
1.Searched screenshots. There is no option available. in any model of UT300R2U
2. Try Dr TCP or TCP/IP optimizer from speedguide.net.
3. What is the present settings for MRU TTL and MTU etc.
4. More \"Gyan\" here. ::. Kitz - Tweaking MTU settings .::

Thanks for the reply.

My current TCP Window as per Windows XP is 128000 and MTU is 1492.
But actual test from speednet website is TCP Receive Window 129220
and MTU 1460.

Changing in Dr.TCP or in other progammes changes the settings in Windows registry but still get the same old MTU 1460 from Speednet. They say may be my router is limiting the MTU.

If we don't have an option to change the MTU in this particular type router then can we change it work just as a DSL modem and disable the routing features?

I have connected this 300R2U via lan card. In olden days BSNL gave just a normal Dataone modem which was black in colour. It didn't have any router features I think.

Condition :.You want to be in Dialup( wanminiport) "bridged" mode.Modem UTStar 300R2U OS XP. Why you want to change the MTU etc. ?Are you able to surf the internet and access all web sites. ?Default Windows is 1500 and for PPP/PPPoE recommended 1492. Mostly earlier modems had no setting for MTU.

Condition :.You want to be in Dialup( wanminiport) "bridged" mode.Modem UTStar 300R2U OS XP.
Why you want to change the MTU etc. ?
Are you able to surf the internet and access all web sites. ?
Default Windows is 1500 and for PPP/PPPoE recommended 1492.

Mostly earlier modems had no setting for MTU.

To get most out of the connection 🙂 I am able to surf and access websites but if I manage to change the MTU then I think I will get litte more faster.

At present I am getting MTU of 1460. Regardless of anychanges in Windows XP it still remains the same.

My modem is already in bridged mode but still it is limiting the MTU.

/members/vijaya901/
will try further ideas later today.

1100AM 11th sept
At present I am getting MTU of 1460. Regardless of any changes in Windows XP it still remains the same.
Can you give the Registry ref or post a screen shot where MTU 1460 is shown as default ?
http://www.pctools.com/guides/registry/detail/280/
Disclaimer: Modifying the registry can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. We cannot guarantee that problems resulting from modifications to the registry can be solved. Use the information provided at your own risk.

Restart Windows for the change to take effect.
Normally , I do not attempt any changes using Regedit.
You have said , even if you change it with external programs like DRTCP/ etc
the MTU value remains same 1460.

/members/vijaya901/
will try further ideas later today.

1100AM 11th sept

Can you give the Registry ref or post a screen shot where MTU 1460 is shown as default ?
http://www.pctools.com/guides/registry/detail/280/

Restart Windows for the change to take effect.
Normally , I do not attempt any changes using Regedit.
You have said , even if you change it with external programs like DRTCP/ etc
the MTU value remains same 1460.

Thanks for the response. I tried it many times. Restarted may times. The programmes correctly show the values but still the websites shows MTU as 1460 and TCP window is also remain same. These programmes make changes in windows registry but this modem/router is not minding it and it uses its own value.

@vijaya901. Update.
Problem :MTU 1460 cannot be changed in Modem UT300R2U
External programs/Windows registry seem to change the MTU
but MTU remains 1460.
Para two:
open 192.168.1.1/main.html
IN menu Advanced WAN . In the page where you enter User Id and password
Option to enter MTU ( 1000-2000) may be available.
I find your modem menu pages same as Beetel 220Bx or 110Bx, TRY again.
Post Device status page. screen shot.
http://i22.tinypic.com/152byh3.jpg from Data base.
Presently using 110BX1
Device Info
Board ID: 96338L-2M-8M
Software Version: 3.12L.01.A2pB023k.d20k_rc2
Bootloader (CFE) Version: 1.0.37-12.1

I cannot find any option to put MTU. I am attaching the screenshots of UserID page and WAN status.

http://img148.imageshack.us/my.php?image=passwordkh9.jpg

WAN Device:

http://img98.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wanpa9.jpg

UPDATE: MTU always 1460 cannot change. ( modem UT300R2U ( beetel220BX equivalent )@members/vijaya901/If the option is not available , means the MTU/MSS can not be entered in modem.A firmware update may be required. Very difficult to get for UTSTAR and Huawei modems, from manufacturer's site/s. In Rapid share some links may be posted. Or you can try Beetel 220BX in Wiki here. ( * at your own risk !)This option may not be available also. ( I don't remember seeing it in Beetel 220BXwhich I used for more than two years and recently in Beetel 220BX1 )Will try for 110BX1 FW link.

Thanks for the reply. Can we just disable those router functions and use it just like a modem like some UTstar modems which BSNL gave when they intially started? Those black modems. In those types of modems we cannot even log into them(192.168.1.1).