• Thread starter Thread starter google_singh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 4,415

google_singh

Regular
MTNL's broadband services from January

Press Trust of India / New Delhi November 3, 2004

MTNL will start its broadband services in New Delhi from January next year and will bundle the broadband connection with its telephone service in which local calls will be free to the subscriber.

"We have placed the purchase order for broadband with the vendors and will start the service from January. We are creating a capacity of 3.5 lakh lines distributed 50:50 between Mumbai and Delhi. We are targeting one lakh broadband subscribers in both Delhi and Mumbai with 50,000 each in the metros," R.S.P Sinha, CMD, MTNL, told newpersons on the sidelines of a function.

Sinha said MTNL is planning to charge a composite monthly payment where the local calls may be free.

"We have a plan doing away with the local call charges. We may charge a lumpsum amount which may include cost of both the local call and broadband charges", Sinha said, adding MTNL is already offering the lowest tariff in call rates and the same can be expected in broadband also.

MTNL will invest Rs 200 crore in its broadband initiative which will be spent over the period till December. Ericsson will provide the equipment for broadband.

The PSU is targeting a broadband subscriber base of 10 lakh by December 2005 and out of that it expects 500,000 each in Mumbai and Delhi.

Sinha expects that by January-end MTNL would be able to offer high-speed internet access.

"After meeting the minimum broadband speed of 256 kbps for broadband, Sinha said the maximum speed can go up to 20 MBPS".

Cool! 🙄

Inspired me to write this mail:

http://sify.com/finance/equity/fullstory.php?id=13604051

\"After meeting the minimum broadband speed of 256 kbps for broadband, he said the maximum speed can go up to 20 Mbps\", he said.

Wow, even MTNL guys know what broadband is supposed to be! Very impressive indeed. Congratulating on b*st*rdizing the concept of broadband Internet in India.

In other news, I have decided to move on to night only package. Because it seems that is the only package that delivers what it promises OFFICIALLY. Great marketing your team is doing when it forces a customer to move onto a package that costs 360 instead of 880 he was previously paying!

Not surfing online during the day s*cks, but at least that will result in me retaining more of my  hair on the scalp that i tore out when I come to know about the hidden features that came with Sify Broadband Package after paying 3500 for getting a network cable extended to my home.

regards,
Sushubh [/b]

heh dude, mtnl is in few cities only. its BSNL that would replicate MTNL's services in other cities. and u seem to be missing the point.the day there is an alternate service that provides 256kbps connectivity for like 1000 bucks a month, Sify WILL drop its prices. they will have to. to comply with TRAI's recommendation, and to handle the competition.

I have had a bad experience with MTNL during dialup days ... their customer service is worse than sify.

lol, MTNL didn't have customer sevice, it had customeron par ehsan