MTNL WIRELESS ROUTER not fast for hosing game servers?

revelations21

ISP
Wifi
I have MTNL 450TC1 wireless router, and so i wanted to host a game server with it. (of Call of duty : Modern Warfare)But the people and my friends also, they say that their pings come high because of my slow connection.So what should i do? Take a better plan? or switch to some other netword? Thanks for answering.

I have MTNL 450TC1 wireless router, and so i wanted to host a game server with it. (of Call of duty : Modern Warfare)

But the people and my friends also, they say that their pings come high because of my slow connection.

So what should i do? Take a better plan? or switch to some other netword?

Thanks for answering.

Possibly both, but I think we need more information from you to help properly.

[*]Which plan are you on?
[*]What are the pings that your friends are getting when they try to connect to you?
[*]Where in India are your friends located?
[*]Which ISP(s) are they with?
[*]What pings do you get to, say, for example, the IP address 203.92.35.201?
[*]Are you connected to the router with wire or wireless?
[*]Is there a significant difference in ping when you connect with wired versus wireless? (wired pings are faster about 99.999% of the time)
[/list]

Possibly both, but I think we need more information from you to help properly.

[*]Which plan are you on?
[*]What are the pings that your friends are getting when they try to connect to you?
[*]Where in India are your friends located?
[*]Which ISP(s) are they with?
[*]What pings do you get to, say, for example, the IP address 203.92.35.201?
[*]Are you connected to the router with wire or wireless?
[*]Is there a significant difference in ping when you connect with wired versus wireless? (wired pings are faster about 99.999% of the time)
[/list]

1. I'm on a 512 kbps Unlimited plan. Should i change it to 1mbps atleast?
2. One of my friends told me that he can't connect and even if he could connect he'll get pings like 999 and thus will not be able to play. Other friends simply can't connect.
3. They are quite far from me, but i have some close ones too, like in my city.
4. BSNL, Airtel, and Mtnl.
5. I pinged to that address (wrote ping -t *ip address* and pinged) and i'm getting the ping time between 18ms to 22 ms.
6. Wireless.
7. I didn't try that. Will do in 5-10 minutes.

1. I'm on a 512 kbps Unlimited plan. Should i change it to 1mbps atleast?
2. One of my friends told me that he can't connect and even if he could connect he'll get pings like 999 and thus will not be able to play. Other friends simply can't connect.
3. They are quite far from me, but i have some close ones too, like in my city.
4. BSNL, Airtel, and Mtnl.
5. I pinged to that address (wrote ping -t *ip address* and pinged) and i'm getting the ping time between 18ms to 22 ms.
6. Wireless.
7. I didn't try that. Will do in 5-10 minutes.

Thanks for your answers:

1. It is something you can at least try, but as a second-to-last resort in case nothing else works (last resort would be changing ISPs). Whether or not it makes any difference to ping times remains to be seen, but frankly it's doubtful.
2. Ouch.
3. OK, but they're all in the same part of India - we're not talking like Chandigargh to Trivandrum 🙂
4. See what results a traceroute to their IP gives you - this might help you identify if there is a point which is having some congestion and whether that point is on MTNL's network or one of the other networks. The most recent TRAI report suggested that MTNL's links to other ISPs had some of the worst congestion, but I'm not sure if this applied to MTNL Mumbai, MTNL Delhi or both together.
5. That's pretty damn good for MTNL, actually (that's our server - it's located somewhere in Gurgaon).
6/7: Try it with wires. Wireless is generally bad for ping times, and I personally would ALWAYS prefer wired for gaming.

Have you made sure that the router's ports are forwarded for the game? The game itself will be listening on some port (like 61234 or whatever) and the router will need to be "told" what this is in it's configuration page. This may be all that is required to fix the issues.

Also, are any file-sharing programs running at the same time? These can *really* hurt your ping times, even on a high-speed connection.

@OP.If you are trying to have a lan party then the wifi vs wired ping makes a little difference. But if you are trying to play with other players on the internet then whether your pc is connected via ethernet or wifi should be of little consequence. I play a lot of CS and CS: Source on steam and have never noticed any difference between the two modes of connection.Now if you are trying to host a server over the internet, your bandwidth in terms of download speed isn't the relevant factor. Your upload speeds are in fact more important. Your connection should have the bandwidth to send out data to all players connected and that is a function of your upload speeds. Now on your 512 mtnl plan i guess your upload speeds will be about 256kbps. 256-320kbps upload speeds would normally suffice for CS 1.6 server for 4-6 players max. With current generation games like CS : Source and COD:MW with the high res textures and huge maps the bandwidth requirement in terms of your uploads goes up significantly. You'd have to get at least a 2Mbps plan IMO and am still not sure whether it would suffice(your uploads will be 1mpbs on the plan). The cost of the plan could be prohibitive. Alternatively there are lot of game servers available for rent online. Many Indian servers too. Don't know the pricing. But should be more cost effective than a 2Mbps plan. The server rent can be shared by all players. Plan cost would be borne only by you I guess . . so. . . my 2 cents.PS: I have the 450TC1 as well. Works perfectly well for steam servers online as well as for wireless lan gaming.

@OP.
You'd have to get at least a 2Mbps plan IMO and am still not sure whether it would suffice(your uploads will be 1mpbs on the plan). The cost of the plan could be prohibitive. Alternatively there are lot of game servers available for rent online. Many Indian servers too. Don't know the pricing. But should be more cost effective than a 2Mbps plan. The server rent can be shared by all players. Plan cost would be borne only by you I guess . . so. . . my 2 cents.

PS: I have the 450TC1 as well. Works perfectly well for steam servers online as well as for wireless lan gaming.

1. He's talking about over the net.
2. Being ADSL, it has a limited upload speed, no matter which plan you take. In most cases it will MAX OUT at 1mbit/s due to the technology in use, and that's only if MTNL "opens the taps" fully. From memory, all MTNL plans have the same upload speed, though they have a scheme where you can pay them to increase it up to a maximum of (I think) 768kbit/s.
3. MTNL Delhi's 2mbit/s plan is only Rs1899 compared to us Mumbaikars who would have to pay Rs3999 or whatever for the same.

Thanks for your answers:

1. It is something you can at least try, but as a second-to-last resort in case nothing else works (last resort would be changing ISPs). Whether or not it makes any difference to ping times remains to be seen, but frankly it's doubtful.
2. Ouch.
3. OK, but they're all in the same part of India - we're not talking like Chandigargh to Trivandrum 🙂
4. See what results a traceroute to their IP gives you - this might help you identify if there is a point which is having some congestion and whether that point is on MTNL's network or one of the other networks. The most recent TRAI report suggested that MTNL's links to other ISPs had some of the worst congestion, but I'm not sure if this applied to MTNL Mumbai, MTNL Delhi or both together.
5. That's pretty damn good for MTNL, actually (that's our server - it's located somewhere in Gurgaon).
6/7: Try it with wires. Wireless is generally bad for ping times, and I personally would ALWAYS prefer wired for gaming.

Have you made sure that the router's ports are forwarded for the game? The game itself will be listening on some port (like 61234 or whatever) and the router will need to be "told" what this is in it's configuration page. This may be all that is required to fix the issues.

Also, are any file-sharing programs running at the same time? These can *really* hurt your ping times, even on a high-speed connection.

No, man, i should thank you for your answers.
And sorry for replying so late, i had my exams -_-.

And, yes, you were right, wired is better for hosting. I never could differentiate between playing games with wired or wireless.
But there was a lot of difference in wired and wireless when hosting.
Wired was obviously better.

Okay, i don't know about that game Call of Duty : Modern warfare.
But i tried hosting a server for Age of Empires 2. (I know it's a pretty old game)

And well, people from all over India connected, one person from Indonesia, one person from Malaysia, and one person from England also connected.
And, *drum roll*, when i told them if they were lagging, they said that just a bit. And the people in India said they weren't lagging at all !
Yeaah ! *High five*

And well, my speed was coming at 60kbps that time when i asked this question, (it's still coming that way), before it used to be 150kbps.
I called the Mtnl in delhi and they told me that (don't remember much) that something was broken/not well? Don't remember sorry 😕. It was kinda related to a submarine cable cutoff i guess. and because of that people in my area were getting low - download speeds.

So i guess it'll be all right when i get it like that.

Thanks for answering mate. =D.

im always host cod4 server at gameranger ; u have 512 then u r able to host only 8 players server ;