MTNL WIFI help..??

• Thread starter Thread starter halo12
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 9
  • Views Views 3,886

halo12

ISP
MTNL
I am currently using MTNL DSL 599 unlimited plan....I want to set up MTNL Wifi at my home. Does MTNL provide ADSL Modem + Wifi router.?? I already own a ADSL modem. What are the charges for MTNL Wifi router?? I am skeptical of buying Wifi router from a local dealer or shop because i do know how to set up Wifi. So, I would prefer to buy Wifi router from MTNL itself....

MTNL will charge you Rs 600/- for a ADSL modem + wifi router and Rs 300/- for a wired adsl modem/routerAs a unlimited triband customer you do not have to pay any rent for either case.

there is no rent for unlimited plans as Daddycool said. also the 600 charge is there... setting up a wi-fi is not that difficult. only one thing. when the guy comes insist on WPA2 security. these guys by default use WEP which can be easily hacked into. if u need any help post back here.

Also use MAC restriction to allow connection to known devices only. Thats the only thing which assures you complete protection.

Absolutely ..... Also use MAC restriction to allow connection to known devices only. Thats the only thing which assures you complete protection.

depends on the router you use.I would recommend that you buy one from the market...someone on Airtel recently bought Netgear N150 (costs around Rs 2300/-)ask this question when you have a wifi router.

MTNL will charge you Rs 600/- for a ADSL modem + wifi router and Rs 300/- for a wired adsl modem/router
As a unlimited triband customer you do not have to pay any rent for either case.

guys can anyone tell me the make and model of the wifi router and what upto what max range it operates?

thx

MBM

guys can anyone tell me the make and model of the wifi router and what upto what max range it operates?

thx

MBM

The max range dependency varies. MTNL Mumbai could give you a D-Link one or a Huawei one. D-Link is better than Huawei but both good but not-very-good.

Doesn't matter how powerful your device/antenna is the house which you live in and where you gonna keep the router matters.
Our indian houses are strong and walls are pretty hard to penetrate for wifi signals. And the room where the router is kept, you close the door of tht room and boom the signal goes down drastically in other rooms.

Try to keep the router in open space and rather center of the house. If you have a primary PC you won't have any issue w/ the connection other devices all over would get 60-80% of signal no matter what corner of room those devices are in.
Also make sure you don't have any other devices around it which could obstruct its signal.
If you gonna mount your router on the wall, try doing tht upside down and keep the antenna facing the ground so the signal isn't obstructed. And you get maximum coverage.

Read this Top 10 Wi-Fi Boosts, Tweaks and Apps
it might help you get some good tips.