MTNL Trump Vidyarthi - Free Calling within MTNL + Free SMS!!

• Thread starter Thread starter vebk
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 23
  • Views Views 44,776

vebk

Mr. Advocate
ISP
Airtel 8 Mbps 'Unlimited'
Just accidentally came across this page on MTNL Delhi's site. It advertises a prepaid connection called MTNL Trump Vidyarthi.

Amazing rates!!!!! (if only I got a good trump signal in my house! 🙁 )
In a nutshell for Rs. 275 p.m. you get Rs. 50 talktime and:
[*]Unlimited free calls within MTNL
[*]Re. 1 calls to other providers
[*]Re. 1 STD calls
[*]Unlimited SMS within all networks
[*]Rs. 0.50 SMS (STD)
[/list]Is this too good to be true?!?! Is here a catch?!? (I assume for starters you have to have some kind of student ID to get such a connection).

Details below:
(a) New Trump Vidyarthi SIM Pack (Starter Kit)
MRP (inclusive of Tax) Rs. 350/-
Free Talk Value Rs. 50/-
Validity One Month
Call Rates
(A) Local Calls
(i) Within MTNL N/W FREE
(ii) Other N/W Re. 1/- p.m.
(B) STD Calls Re. 1/- p.m.

SMS
(i) Local (Any N/W) FREE
(ii) STD Re. 0.50 per SMS
(iii) ISD Rs. 2.50 per SMS

(b) New Trump Recharge Coupon
MRP (Exclusive of Tax) Rs. 275/-
Free Talk Value Unlimited on local MTNL network + Rs.50/-\"
Validity One Month
Call & SMS Rates Same as above

UPDATE: There is an ambiguously worded disclaimer:
This Promotional offer will be implemented w.e.f. 01.07.2007 to 28.09.2007 .

Do they mean you have to sign up for this plan within these three months, or that these rates only apply for this three month period?

wow! now only if i was in delhi.......that disclaimer is kinda confusing. i dont see why they would introduce this plan only for 2-3 months. i think its a typo.

Well the only thing I can think of is that perhaps these are introductory rates, and after 28-9-07 they would increase the charges.

^ if that was the case i dont think they would have said "w.e.f 01.07.2007 to 28.09.07", they would have just simply said "w.e.f 01.07.2007" and then increase the rates later on. still could be a possibility.

MTNL is damn cheap otherwise too. I recharge with rs 1100 coupon, get full talktime and validity 5 months.Call rates: To MTNL landline/Mobiles" 60p/minOther LL/Mobiles: 1.20 pmSMS :25 paiseAll this with no monthly add on scheme rentals.Coverage : Not as good as Airtel/Hutch, but pretty decent & much better than Idea & TATA

@boygr8, Wow...those rates are pretty good for MTNL. But MTNL Mumbai is a lot costlier! 🙁

the plan looks very good and another advantage of having mtnl would be that u can roam on bsnl's network for free upto250-300 minutes/month!

Is this too good to be true?!?! Is here a catch?!? (I assume for starters you have to have some kind of student ID to get such a connection).

The answer to why they are offering such a scheme lies here -

COAI

MTNL has lagged way behind private operators in subscriber numbers inspite of having reasonable rates. Catching subscribers young is the way to go as most people don't change their subscriber/ cell number too fast..

[*]Unlimited free calls within MTNL

Does this mean all MTNL (fwp , gsm and landline) or only mtnl gsm phones ??

I hate when people who have very low incomes use Airtel coz they think Airtel is cheapest, while in reality Airtel is ripping tyhem off

The answer to why they are offering such a scheme lies here -

COAI

MTNL has lagged way behind private operators in subscriber numbers inspite of having reasonable rates. Catching subscribers young is the way to go as most people don't change their subscriber/ cell number too fast..

MTNL's rates are far from being reasonable. In Mumbai, both Airtel and Hutch offer prepaid rates which are much lower than Trump. With Hutch you can activate h2h @ 30p offer and m2m @ 99p so that your calling becomes at 30p ( onnet ) and 1 re ( offnet ). While with airtel the basic calling is 1 re to any mobile phone. With MTNL onnet calling is at 90p and offnet at Rs1.5 which is WAY WAY higher than the other operators. MTNL's SMS rates are reasonable but thats hardly their USP.

MTNL's network is improving but I mean they really don't offer good value for money, atleast in Mumbai.