MTNL Triband questions

thedeadghost

ISP
pacenet
Hi Guys, I am still waiting for my triband connection since 5 months now, hopefully they have promised to do something in 20 days ! I would like to know the difference between ADSL MODEM and ADSL ROUTER. from what i understand modem can be used only with one pc and if opted for router it would offer multiple connection. I am looking for a wireless connection to my desktop and will also be using the triband on my notebook. Should I buy a Netgear wireless router and nothing else ? will it replace the ADSL ROUTER ? How does it work. I am confused. Please help. Thanks.

5months😕😕 i got my connection in 6 days...what's the prob with mtnl mumbai?

modem and router are used interchangably by a lay-man, so don bother.. u can ask MTNL to install wifi(wireless) at ur premises- a higher costing/rental - check their website for complete details. If u want to buy urself - then u've 2 options - either go for wireless router - Rs. 1800 approx (you'll require a adsl modem/router extra to connect it with wireless router) OR go for wireless ADSL router - Rs. 3700 approx(combo of both adsl modem and wireless router)....

5months😕😕 i got my connection in 6 days...
what's the prob with mtnl mumbai?

Who said he's from Mumbai?

Thanks guys ! Good observation "dantool" ...Sorry forgot to mention I am at Mumbai. I am still a bit confused on exactly what equipments should i go for to minimize the use of wires. I understand I will need a base unit where my phone line can be connected to. Please explain me in a more detailed manner. Thanks for your help guys. I appreciate it.

You will need a splitter to be connected to the line that comes in to ur house. From the splitter, one line will go to the router and the other one to the phone.You will have to use an ADSL2 enabled Wireless Router. Your phone line will be connected to this router. And then you can connect from your laptop to the router using the regular wi-fi stuff.So the only wires would be the 3 phone wires. Thats it. Nothing else.

Linksys is of no use for NU users who use PPPOE. My friend has it. It does not support telnet. Otherwise its a good router.

dunno... maybe he has a different model than the one mentioned here...

Kool,So I need to get a ADSL wireless router to minimize my wires, So the phone line which comes to my home will connect into the adsl wireless router and thats it ! ofcourse i need a wireless lan card for my pc,but thats the only wire that it would need huh ? But I hope the Linksys wireless router i specified is a adsl enabled and is support by mtnl ? or is there a specific model from Netgear that they support.