mtnl triband+netgear wi-fi router+imate jasjam

• Thread starter Thread starter jerry17
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 19
  • Views Views 5,099

jerry17

ISP
MTNL Broadband
Has anyone tried connecting a windows pda phone to the wi-fi router with MTNL broadband? My phone detects the wireless network but is not able to connect. The network keeps toggling between available and not available. Any ideas what could be wrong? My laptop works absolutely fine wirelessly.

your pda phone needs tweakin...

its definately ur pda that needs some tweaking. i have a laptop as well as my Nintendo wii using the wireless and the wii kept disconnecting, then i had to move it closer and now no problem. but i have noticed one thing, i have two wireless routers (one b and one g) and both have terrible range in mumbai. the same routers had amazing range in the US, but thats also prolly coz the walls there are wood.

^ yup, same here. i have a router which would give range even outside the house in US. but here in india, i hardly get any range from my room to the hall. its because of the bricks and cement construction.

yea viralbug...i have the same problem and its so annoying. router is in the living room and my bedroom is like 10 steps away from the router, but the signal is always "very low" and disconnections galore. haven't been able to figure out anything. i even got a 9dbi antenna to boost signal, no luck 🙁

yea viralbug...i have the same problem and its so annoying. router is in the living room and my bedroom is like 10 steps away from the router, but the signal is always "very low" and disconnections galore. haven't been able to figure out anything. i even got a 9dbi antenna to boost signal, no luck 🙁

You guys may be right. I just got back from the US and the phone was connecting to the wi-fi router just fine. Here, it detects the network, says connecting and then says unavailable. I am like 2 feet away from the router and still the same problem. Whereas, my laptop connects to the router even if I take it to the parking lot. I somehow don't understand how the signals could get weak; maybe its the air in India. 🙂

Netfreak, that would help only if I had a problem with the signal. My phone is 2 feet away from the router. It has to be some other problem. It detects the network even if I am 50 feet away. It's just that it doesn't get connected. I have tried adding the phone MAC to the router settings. I have tried enabling/disabling encryption; everything.

have you tried bringing your phone and router on the same channel? Default channel for many products is 6 in US, try setting it to 11.

thx for the awesome link netfreak...gonna try it out this weekend and let u know what happens.

okay.. did it work with other routers? Can you try it when you visit some shopping mall's food court ?
it worked in the US. Tried on multiple routers in different cities. I had tried in a mall here in Mumbai about 3-4 months back. Had not worked that time either. Is that because we use 11 instead of 6 in the US?

Yaa channel in Asia is different from channel in US/ EU.Have to change channel to use my laptop in most hotspots in US.