• Thread starter Thread starter yohu123
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 106
  • Views Views 27,882

yohu123

The Immortal One
ISP
MTNL Triband 849NU (2048 down/512 up)
Hi,I just setup my wifi connection at my home using Linksys WRT54GC Broadband-G Wireless Router and DSL 502T modem with the MTNL Triband 849NU package. Now I am able to access the net on my wifi device and on my pc (thru lan). The problem is that i can only access the wrt54gc router's settings. I cant now access the 502t adsl modems settings page, when connected in the wifi network. I have changed the wireless routers local ip to 192.168.1.9 but still i cant access that of the adsl modems, which is 192.168.1.1I did try changing the wifi routers ip to 192.168.2.1 but after changing that i cant access the routers settings page anymore and have to reset the router (i had to do that 3 times). The adsl modem is in bridge mode and the wifi router is in pppoe mode (connecting using username and password). I repeat, i am able to access the net successfully on both, the PC and the wifi device. So can anyone pls help me access both, the modems and the routers settings pages, when connected in the wifi network? Furthermore, is there a way to turn on/off the net on my PC instead of the "always on" mode that i have to use now? This is because i need to restart my net connection before/after 12am/8am and dont want to manually restart the router/modem.And is there a way to enable internal lan between the PC and the wifi device, without losing net connectivity on the PC? This is because, I can enable the internal lan using the tutorial to manually enter the lan settings on the PC and I can even ping the wifi device from my PC. But then i lose net connectivity on the PC. No pages on the PC open whereas on the wifi device i can open pages smoothly. If i select 'Obtain an IP address automatically' from the LAN Network and enter the Preferred and Alternate DNS server address as 203.94.227.70 and 203.94.243.70 respectively (with DHCP Server enabled in Routers settings), I do have net connectivity on the PC and even a dynamic ip with which i can ping the wifi device. But then i wont be able to know the exact ip address of the PC to connect using the wifi device. Thanx in advance.

ive also noticed that sometimes when i connect my wifi device to the network, i get an ip conflict with the pc's dynamic ip. so that means i have to use a static ip on the pc but whenever i do that i lose my net connectivity on the pc too. what cud be goin wrong here? can anyone pls help me with the above prob?

D-Link DSL 502T on a Router - AAPT

As anthonix says...

1. DSL-502T to wireless router in a 'double NAT' configuration

You set up the DSL-502T to port forward to the wireless router.
You set up the wireless router to port forward to the LAN.

The DSL-502T is the DHCP server for your wireless router.
The wireless router is the DHCP server for your LAN.

2. DSL-502T to wireless router in PPPoE bridge mode.

When you set up the DSL-502T in bridge mode you lose access to the configuration page.
The DSL-502T becomes invisible until you reset the configuration using the reset button at the back of the modem. The wireless router authenticates with your ISP over the PPPoE bridge.

You port forward from the wireless router to the LAN.

The wireless router is the DHCP server for your LAN.

3. DSL-502T plugged into LAN port of wireless router

You must disable DHCP on the wireless router first.
Wireless router becomes invisible, so make sure your PCs can connect to the wireless router first, DSL-502T acts as DHCP server for the LAN.

You port forward from the DSL-502T to the LAN.

Unquote

Para two :Vadosity Router Tool (exe) Free 15.666KB
Vadosity Router Tool (exe), from Vadosity - Software Downloads - TechRepublic
http://i.d.com.com/i/dl/media/dlimage/33/07/9/33079_large.jpeg

setups 1. and 3. look very complicated and dont understand most of it. i have my dsl-502t setup in bridge mode, the wrt54gc wireless router setup in pppoe mode (with dhcp enabled). the lan settings on the pc has "Obtain an IP address automatically" with Preferred DNS Server: 203.94.227.70 and Alternate DNS Server: 203.94.243.70 With the above setup net connectivity works on both, the PC and the wifi device. Now the prob with this is that everytime my pc gets a dynamic ip address which makes it difficult to maintian an internal network. sometimes this even causes an IP Conflict when the PC and the wifi device, both r connected in the network. But if i do mention a static ip, subnet and gateway in the lan settings of the pc i get the internal lan setup but then i lose my net connectivity. At this point, is there any kind of ip setup i need to do in the 502t to recognize/forward the manual ip addr entered in the lan of the pc? The 2nd prob is that i cant access the 502t modem settings page, when it is connected in the wifi setup. But if i connect the 502t modem directly to the pc without the wireless router, then i can access its settings page.

Read the ref thread fully. try 192.168.0.1 to access modem. wait, let me checkup.
Search for other information. Check your Wi-fi settings
Answer
for wireless etc
Answer
for router

thanx for all ur help essbebe but the links u provided r for someone who is just about to setup a wifi network whereas i have already passed that stage.yes, i have used the exact pppoe method in the wireless router (as mentioned in the tutorial of the link u gave me).so the wireless router connects to my mtnl triband connection using the pppoe method and the dsl 502t modem is in bridge mode.i have net connectivity on both, my PC and my wifi device connecting to the wifi network i have setup.and i think the modem setup tutorial might solve one prob wherein i cant access the 502t's settings page when it is setup in the wifi network.so i will definitely give that a try tonight.but thats not a major prob.the big prob right now is able to disconnect/reconnect the wifi router since the pppoe connection is performed from the router now and not using the PC (as it was prior to setting up a wifi network).until and unless the wireless router isnt restarted, the mtnl seesion isnt refreshed and due to this im losing day time MBs since the session passes the 8am mark.and the 2nd prob is establishing an internal lan using wifi network.currently, the PC doesnt use a static ip addr and due to this i sometimes get a 'IP Conflict' message when both, my PC and wifi device r connected in the wifi network.if i mention a static ip address, subnet mask and default gateway in the lan settings of the pc (which does establish an internal lan), then i lose the net connectivity on the PC.so my question regarding this is...if i do mention the static ip addr on the PC, do i need to do some kind of port forwarding in the 502t router? has anyone else having a mtnl triband connection setup a wifi network using a Linksys router?plz help, thanx.

@Yohu:I want to check if my understanding is correct:1. Your phone line is connected to dsl 502t which is in bridged mode2. Your Linksys router is connected to dsl 502t3. Your PC and wifi device both use the internet from the linksys router.Is my understanding correct?

1.PortForward.com - Free Help Setting up Your Router or Firewall. There you get a program Portforwarding which enables us to convert an IP to "STATIC" ip. USUALLY 192.168.1.X where X is above 100 usually.
2. Have you tried the tool I listed :Vadocity? Any clue ?
3. I am having SMC wireless router +beetel220BX adsl2+modem. will post Screen shots later. Can access both without any problem.
Which page in WIreless router you are interested ?

@Yohu:

I want to check if my understanding is correct:

1. Your phone line is connected to dsl 502t which is in bridged mode
2. Your Linksys router is connected to dsl 502t
3. Your PC and wifi device both use the internet from the linksys router.

Is my understanding correct?

yes uve got it right.
and the linksys router connects to the mtnl triband connection using pppoe and net connectivity is available on both, the PC and the wifi device in this configuration but i can neither access the 502t modems settings page nor can i setup an internal lan, maintaining the net connectivity on the pc.
and finally, how do i turn off/on the wifi router automatically at a scheduled time, so that i dont cross the 8am limit of my 849NU package.
earlier i used to connect thru a pppoe dialer on my pc.
but since the pppoe dialing is done thru the wifi router, i need to restart the router.

@essbebe: i dont want to forward any ports for an app to run correctly on my pc. i was just askin what additional configuration do i need to do to setup an internal lan and maintain the net connectivity on the pc simultaneously.

@yohu123 .1. No harm in reading the Linksy's instructions and doing the whole set up afresh.( references are given , for others who may open this thread at a later date., including myself , if I buy Linksys!))2. Please try In always connected PPPoE mode. Ensure all OK. Then try Bridge mode/dialer. 3. I have gone through the Linksy's instructions, ( with number of screen shots additional links ). To access the router :in IE 192.168.1.1` default admin BLANK password admin ( unless you have changed both) Local Ip address 192.168.2.1. In computer Ipconfig /release Ipconfig /renew Now 192.168.1.110 255.255.255.0 Defualt 192.168.1.1 etc 4. IMPORTANT : When you have selected Autoconfiguration , nothing is entered in the page all 0.0.0.0 etc. CHECK this instruction again.PS: I did not read your reply when I drafted this. Please kindly ignore any unnecessary instructions.

i had gone thru the instructions that came on the cd initially but that didnt work for me since it gets a bit complicated with mtnl triband and its adsl 502t modem.secondly, the adsl modem is in bridged mode and the wireless router is in pppoe mode.this was the only configuration thru which i cud establish a wifi lan as well as net connectivity on all the devices in the network.thirdly, i will definitely try a release/renew on my pc coz maybe that was preventing me from opening 192.168.2.1but i guess if both, the adsl modem and the wifi router r having the same subset range ie. 192.168.1.x then accessing the settings page of either one might cause a prob.im in the office right now, so will get to try this out only when i get home around 7:30pm.also, finally does anyone know a way to schedule the restart of the wireless router itself since that is the only way a mtnl session can be refreshed?

ok...i was able to assign 192.168.2.1 as the local ip for the wireless router.
ipconfig/release/renew did the trick! :thumbsup:
i also setup an internal lan and was able to ping both, the PC and the wifi device, from each other.
now the only prob remains is im still not able to access the dsl 502t's modem settings page ie.192.168.1.1, ONLY when its connected in the wifi network.
i tried to change the local ip addr of the 502t modem to 192.168.24.1 but when i click on apply it displays a blank page, after which the settings screen shud refresh.
the refresh doesnt happen and stays on the blank screen.
i waited for 5mins but still the screen wudnt refresh.
so i had to close the browser and open the settings page of the modem again using the old ip 192.168.1.1 indicating that the changes werent applied.
i also noticed that i cudnt access the wifi routers settings page (whose local ip was changed to 192.168.2.1) until i setup a manual ip addr for the lan on the PC.
so do i need to keep changing the static ip to that of the modems, each time i want to access its settings?
shudnt i be able to access both their settings from the PC since the modem is connected to the wifi router and the router is connected to the PC?
and finally, i followed the guide provided by ur link, venkz.
but the part where it says to type "o 192.168.1.1" in telnet....it isnt able to access either 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1 and says that the connection to ip failed on port 23.
i am able to access the 192.168.2.1 settings page of the wireless router though from IE but telnet cant.
i use Zonealarm Security Suite 7 and even unblocked port 23 in its firewall settings but still no use.
can u guys still help me with these two peculiar issues?
thanx.

1.Start/Network/Lan/properties/TCP/IP/ properties.
Assign automatic IP and DNS.
1a. or assign 192.168.1.X ( >than3) to Desktop and 192.168.1.X+1 to laptop.
subnet 255.255.255.0 and default gateway 192.168.1.1 for both.
1b. Opendns 208.67.220 and 208.67.222.222 for all ISPs.
2. In Modem also assign automatic IP address and automatic DNS.
3 Do not give any entries.
4 This is the set up here Beetel 220Bx accessed with 192.168.1.1 and
SMC wireless router Barricade smc7004. in 192.168.2.1
DHCP enabled and range 192.168.1.3 to 192.168.1.255 selected.
http://i23.tinypic.com/9b8wpg.jpg
http://i23.tinypic.com/oidiro.jpg

5 Confirm whether you tried in always On mode PPPoE ?
DyNamic IP changes.often.
IP Info - Find your IP address

i have already established the internal lan by assigning 168.2.x to pc and 168.2.x+1 on the wifi device.and they now talk to each other thru ping.so thats not the issue here.in dsl 502t modem, pcv0 is in bridged mode so i dont provide a static ip addr or subnet mask.but i need to provide a local ip and subnet mask in the modems settings to access its configuration page.and the wireless router is using pppoe mode and connecting to my mtnl triband account using username and password.so i am in "always on" pppoe mode since i now dont use a dialer on my pc to connect to the net.all i cant access is the configuration/settings page of the dsl modem and nothing more.i can access the wireless router's settings page without any probs.and since im in the always on mode, i needed to manually restart either the dsl 502t modem or the wireless router to start a fresh session.