MTNL To Announce New Unlimited Plans On Oct. 2nd

Originally posted by jayesh@Oct 27 2005, 01:57 PM
what does hathway being or not being in your area have to with anything? they are just using the fibre of these guys to get into areas faster... they could use anyones fibre for that be it even reliance their competitor
I dont think you understand the implications of this. Last mile connectivity by Hathway means, we have to use their sucky LAN (or WAN or whatever you call it) for connectivity. This obviously increases the costs for Airtel and hence us, the customer. Plus, we are at their mercy for uptime. Since, their server will be getting bandwidth from airtel but rest is with them. So if their server goes down for some reason then we have to wait until Hathway sorts it out. Airtel wont be responsible for that... Also, we might have to use the sucky 24OnlineClient to login as it is with most cable ISPs :angry:

Originally posted by max@Oct 27 2005, 10:28 PM
I dont think you understand the implications of this. Last mile connectivity by Hathway means, we have to use their sucky LAN (or WAN or whatever you call it) for connectivity. This obviously increases the costs for Airtel and hence us, the customer. Plus, we are at their mercy for uptime. Since, their server will be getting bandwidth from airtel but rest is with them. So if their server goes down for some reason then we have to wait until Hathway sorts it out. Airtel wont be responsible for that... Also, we might have to use the sucky 24OnlineClient to login as it is with most cable ISPs :angry:
[snapback]29729[/snapback]
[/quote]

no it does not mean that... airtel till date has not outsourced its work ever ( don’t i know i am merely a consultant with them ). its not going to be pppoe over cat 5 but over a normal tele line ... they are just using the fibre to transport raw signals all over the place NOT cat 5 !

you got it completely wrong airtel will be providing a normal pppoe connection using adsl 2 equipment a la mtnl and the way they do it in delhi. In parts of delhi they have even used reliance fibreoptic to achieve last mile connectivity.the fibre comes to your doorstep carrying the signal with zero loss . you wont be getting hathway u will be getting std 256 kb airtel speeds like anyone else does in delhi.

this is not a pppoe 24 hr online crap system. this is a normal provision for carrying signals across distances. Last mile connectivity is not cat 5 e which we have gotten used to in india ... but the use of fiber to get a company signal upto your step .. from their own noc. or control room or whatever its called in common parlance.

let me reiterate in case you are still confused. Airtel leases fibre from hathway -airtel uses this fibre to deliver the signal to your doorstep- airtel adsl2 equipment converts it accordingly for your use. period

Last mile
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

The last mile is the final leg of delivering communications connectivity to a resident or customer. Usually referred to by the telecommunications and cable industries, it is typically seen as an expensive challenge because "fanning out" wires and cables is a considerable physical undertaking. Outside of the USA, the phrase "last kilometer" is sometimes used.

To solve the problem of providing the last mile, some firms are beginning to mix networks. One example is FWA, where a mobile network is used instead of wires to connect from a stationary customer to the wireline network.

jayesh, if thats the case then I have no problem with airtel BUT if that isn't the case then.... we are all doomed (well atleast some of us). Anyway, what happens if hathway is unable to provide last mile connectivity??Edit: any more news about unlimited offers from MTNL? (I dont want to hear about the 50% reduction in tarrifs crap!)

Originally posted by max@Oct 28 2005, 11:31 AM
jayesh, if thats the case then I have no problem with airtel BUT if that isn't the case then.... we are all doomed (well atleast some of us). Anyway, what happens if hathway is unable to provide last mile connectivity??

Edit: any more news about unlimited offers from MTNL? (I dont want to hear about the 50% reduction in tarrifs crap!)
[snapback]29767[/snapback]
[/quote]
nothing happens they have a plethora of last mile providers to choose from hathway is just one. there are firms whose entire business is based on leasing out fibre to isps telecom providers etc. they are called lmcp last mile connection providers

ya more then airtel i`m waiting for mtnl to come out with unlimited plans... as if i have to take airtel then i`ll have to take an airtel landline connection too.. which i cant.. for certain reasons...so well mtnl better come out with unlimited plans!! ..and ya 50% tariff reduction isnt good if the quality of service provided isnt up to the mark..

OK, here's another update, lol. Called up the Del. GM today to ask him abt the new plans and tariffs. Told me that he'd left MTNL and moved to UP, hehe. But dropped a hint that MTNL's unlimited plans will cost more than Airtel's. So then i asked him staight up whether he could confirm this and predicatbly he said that since he wasn't with MTNL anymore, cudn't confirm and that i should call them up.So then, I called up the Marketing head and he said that though he didn't have the official information yet, said that there would be NO unlimited plans this time around but they have lowered their tariffs on some plans(entry level ones) and existing plans such as 590NU will have increased daytime usage limits eg. plans such as DSL399 will have 700MB usage limit as opposed to 350 earlier and the addnl usage cost will be lowered from Rs1.20 to 1.00. Said that he'll let me know if anythin official reaches him before closing hour today.

Originally posted by waterloo_sunset@Oct 28 2005, 04:21 PM
eg. plans such as DSL399 will have 700MB usage limit as opposed to 350 earlier and the addnl usage cost will be lowered from Rs1.20 to 1.00. Said that he'll let me know if anythin official reaches him before closing hour today.
[snapback]29797[/snapback]
[/quote]

Bad that there is no unlimited plan but for average user 700 Mb in 399 is good, hope they make 590NU to atleast 1GB day usage, then its worth it.

nah 590NU with a minimum of 5gb is worth it... one gb still less.. cause if you give a NU plan then your targeting downloaders more then normal surfers(like the dsl 399 plan does) and for downloaders 5gb ought to be good enough for now ....

I would love it even if they give 2 GB in 590 NU.....at the moment they give just 500 MB atleast they must match BSNL to give 1 GB

waterloo_sunset, in that case all my hopes are with airtel starting out service in my area...chicmagnet, as far as I understand, they will give you a landline connection BUT they will charge you ONLY if you make any calls...