MTNL To Announce New Unlimited Plans On Oct. 2nd

I agree with Max-- give me a true, unlimited, always-on, full speed 256 kbps connection with no restriction on p2p traffic - I can easily transfer 75 GB worth of data every month if I keep the computer running all the time.
Which is enough for me.

Originally posted by max@Oct 25 2005, 06:42 PM
Forget about Mbps connections yaar! I will settle for even a 256Kbps connection at this point ... >_>
[snapback]29420[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, I already have a router running 24x7 and pull about 10-15GB a month on my sucky 64Kbps (its more of a 48-56Kbps connection). If I get a 256Kbps unlimited (truely unlimited) connection, I will be able to download as close as possible to the theoretical limit of 81.73828125GB per month 😀

Cant pull in 81 GB because your computer would burn up in the heat 😉 And anyway there would be a 1% or a little bit more downtime in 30 days, I'm sure that much downtime happens anywhere in the world 😀

Originally posted by yogi@Oct 25 2005, 07:47 PM
Cant pull in 81 GB because your computer would burn up in the heat 😉
And anyway there would be a 1% or a little bit more downtime in 30 days, I'm sure that much downtime happens anywhere in the world 😀
[snapback]29434[/snapback]
[/quote]

hehe true.. throw in bittorent / emule/ newsgroups 75-80 gb might be easily possible

yeah, I need that much data transfer for bit torrents, emule and newsgroups. And the occasional voice call 🙂

lets not lose sight here ppl.. the unlimited lines not yet out 😀 anyways.. to reply to waterloo.. i did register but still dont have an account summary.. anyways if it doesn't show up next month i will check the bill.. and if it exceeds i will register a complaint.. hmmm.. 24x7 wow the possibilites are endless.. hope it comes soon.. anymore news?? by anyone else?

lol yaaa.. over optimistic people... but it happens.all i want is an unlimited connectio nfor now. will see about the downloading later. and ohh even i`m right up there with you fellas when it comes to downloading 😛 😛

downtime? What is this downtime? I dont have the word downtime in my dictionary. My router's uptime has been better than my ISP's uptime. They are a bunch of fools when it comes to maintaining their servers... I don't understand whats so difficult in maintaining servers??

I pulled in around 17-18 GB in the first month after i got my NU connection. But i had holidays then and cud keep awake. Now with college find it hard to keep awake. Averaging 10-12 GB for the last 2 months but then there's not much stuff left to download anyway and am running out of space. Gonna buy a Sony DVD Writer tomorrow to transfer all the movies onto disks 🙂 I want 24x7 u/l for a couple of reasons. One being that i can get proper sleep so i don't have a throbbing headache in the mornings, i can download anything anytime of the day, listen to net radio all day, freedom from billing screw-ups.

Looks like Airtel is coming to bombay - please read a small section on page 8 in the TOI today - October 26th. Seems like mtnl will finally have some competition 😀But who knows when they will actually start giving connections ?

Mubaikars r very lucky when it comes to frequent power cuts. Out here in gurgaon.. i consider myself lucky if i have a uptime of over 16 hrs, my best to date is around 3 days , i don't know tat happened, maybe the power guys forgot to shut the switch or sumthing 😛Yogi, it might take sum time, coz airtel has got all it's wiring done underground.... and i don't know wether they have done their wiring in mumbai.

Originally posted by yogi@Oct 26 2005, 07:44 AM
Looks like Airtel is coming to bombay - please read a small section on page 8 in the TOI today - October 26th.
Seems like mtnl will finally have some competition 😀
But who knows when they will actually start giving connections ?
I LOVE YOU MAN!!! (err...don't worry not that kinda LOVE. I am straight 🙄 ). ATLAST SOMETHING OFFICIAL! 😀 Good observation!!

WiZaRd, Ever since Reliance has taken over BSES we have had crappy power supply. They manage to trip the grid every 5-10 days >.>

ya i agree with max... not only the cost has increased a lot.. but frequent power cuts have become the norm with reliance... well ya it would take time for airtel to setup thier sevices.. and i think initially it would only be for airtel customers i guess...but if i have to buy an airtel phone(landline connection). .then i dont think i can go for airtell 🙁

Guyz, dont get too excited abt airtel coming to ur city. Covering the whole city will take a substantial amount of time and as far as Airtel is concerned u can never be sure if they will ever cover ur locality , they have been providing broadband in Delhi since the past 3 yrs but still don't cover many parts of Delhi. One more thing, if ur area is remotely "sakari" ..u can pretty much kiss goodbye to any sort of wired connectivity from Airtel.

heh. my area is sarkari. i am planning to rent a place 😛in another case, if your area is sarkari, you would need two things to make your life easier...1. connections. get someone on an important position to call airtel head in the region.2. they apparently would spread line to your area (if its close enough) if you can find them enough customers in your region. a friend got his connection after committing for 8 lines.