MTNL thinking of dropping 4G plans

• Thread starter Thread starter volcano619
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 19
  • Views Views 6,543
Nooo!!!!

Nooo!!!!
Apparently... Yes.. 😕
I was seeking for a breakthrough again..turns out i'm not..

Following the suit of BSNL, probably.

Following the suit of BSNL, probably.
But if they introduce 4G at a more cheaper rate compared to those of Airtel ones...they can get huge profits... 😕
Ah..well..whom i to judge anyways...

^^That's just misguided. Apart from the networks turning to custard when they had unlimited 3G, did you happen to follow what happened to their balance sheets? Losing 650Cr+ a quarter doesn't sound profitable to me.

^^That's just misguided. Apart from the networks turning to custard when they had unlimited 3G, did you happen to follow what happened to their balance sheets? Losing 650Cr+ a quarter doesn't sound profitable to me.

I really don't get the principle..i mean they were the ones who gave UL plans at a cheaper rate...in fact they were the only ones who gave 3G UL plans..they still are...And many people used/using MTNL for that purpose...I just don't get it..Why so much Loss??..Please drive me through :huh:

2 words: Customer acquisition.Marketing costs a lot of money. Once the customers are on the network, it's cheaper to keep them there than to acquire more.Unfortunately in MTNLs case it would have backfired a little because:1. 95% of their towers are served exclusively by high frequency microwave backbones (500mbit/s) which just aren't that great compared to wired.2. Sheer volume. They may have underestimated how many people had Rs4500 kicking around to spend on 3G - they're used to people spending a few hundred bucks a month, now all of a sudden they can give a few thousand rupees? WTF? Where did all these customers come from? Oh crap, now we have to support them for 6 months (and so it began).I reckon if the wired alternatives were better, then point #2 wouldn't have happened. I had unlimited 3G in Finland but the network still did great because the wired alternatives were awesome so people's data usage wouldn't have been that high anyway. That's not the case in India.

I'm not very sure about network performance being impacted by unlimited plans. The data network has always been consistent here.Still, sad that they won't be launching 4G. And hadn't bsnl surrendered the wimax spectrum ? Or was their 4G based on wimax itself rather than lte ?

I'm not very sure about network performance being impacted by unlimited plans. The data network has always been consistent here.

Still, sad that they won't be launching 4G. And hadn't bsnl surrendered the wimax spectrum ? Or was their 4G based on wimax itself rather than lte ?
Nope..their WiMax was certainly not based on 4G 😕
And yes..it is indeed SAd..but they are considering to withdraw..not taken a decision yet...fingers crossed...

Spectrum is spectrum and isn't relevant to what technology is running on it, whether WiMax or LTE both of which are often marketed as 4G (but if we want to be nitpicky, are not what was originally intended as "4G")... Keep in mind, 4G is a marketing term, nothing more 🙂BSNL and MTNL both got 2.3GHz spectrum automatically but they had to pay the same rates as everyone else - BSNL has said it wants to give it's spectrum up and MTNL seems to be following suit, that's all.As for network performance, I suppose it all depends - originally it was possible to get a fairly consistent 5+mbit/s, but my understanding is now that it usually tops out around 1-1.5 and in some areas suffers even more. Maybe you're close to a tower or in an uncrowded area, I don't know (it's virtually impossible to tell) but I do seem to remember plenty of complaints about speed in months gone by.

MTNL has withdrawn its 4G Plans!!MG was indeed right about this one..!!I quote."Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited (MTNL), the India’s first 3G Mobile Operator & Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) has both decided to stay away from the 4G Revolution. Both the companies are no longer interested in High Speed Internet and are seeking BWA Refunds to re-structure their debt & expansion plans to turn profitable.As a part of new strategy, MTNL will offer VRS (Voluntary Retirement Scheme) to about 20,000 of its employess in Delhi & Mumbai which would cost about Rs. 2000 crores. MTNL has approached the Govt. to surrender its broadband wireless access (BWA) licence in Delhi & Mumbai that it got by Default at market determined prices of Rs. 4600 crores.Rather than being a part of 4G revolution, MTNL feels its important to improve & expand its present network. MTNL has posted a loss of Rs 929.7 crore for the quarter ended December, 2011.On the other hand, BSNL too has almost similar plans. It has requested a refund of Rs 8,313.9 crore for surrendering the BWA Spectrum in 20 circles. BSNL has submitted 2 plans, One for Pan India Spectrum surrender and the other proposal is to return spectrum in Maharashtra, Gujarat, Andhra Pradesh, Kolkata, Karnataka and Tamil Nadu only.BSNL has made a point that it had initially planned plan for WiMax technology to offer 4G services but now whole industry is adopting the LTE technology. BSNL cannot fully utilize the spectrum allocated to it in 2.5 Ghz Bands as the LTE-TDD technology is such bands is still not fully developed to offer commercial services."

Smart move I would say, atleast for next 5 years.3G has not caught up and its costly. Plus for most people speed of 2mbps while roaming is more than sufficient.So when you already have 3G there is no point going for 4G.