MTNL Mumbai MTNL should shut down

• Thread starter Thread starter Shbm
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 25
  • Views Views 4,525
The new FUPs are a pretty decent offering for users who don't have options like ACT, Excitel, and the like. Spectranet is mainly in the Thane-Navi Mumbai belt so doesn't count as a viable ISP for most of us.

Also, I agree that all these ISPs who advertise higher speeds are mainly focusing on cached content. I've used ACT myself and hardly get a 5Mbps speed on a so-called 70 Mbps connection.

So looks like MTNL is playing the 'tortoise' in the 'hare' race. They're slowly and steadily increasing their offerings. It just remains to be seen if their customers have the patience to wait till the finish line.

@ijsa

Privacy concerns aside. I am just saying false advertising is very dangerous thing.

Every ISP has to pay for bandwidth and that is why FUP exists sadly. By providing cached content these ISPs are circumventing it by technically saving that bandwidth which many users on the same network might try to stream. So saving a lot of bandwidth. So cached content is free for them which means that bandwidth you consume is not counted against bandwidth they have to pay.
Now with lower speeds than advertised (i.e what you pay for) all the uncached content you download is so much limited because of the speed (than what you could with really that much speed ) that the you probably will be okay with the limit other FUP ISPs provide. I hope you understand that I ain't trying to tell you that you can but the umbrella under the cached server and low speed isn't the best when it comes to transparency of actual data use.

Cached content for website and cache content for streaming are very different things. The later one isn't good thing.

Most Google streaming at doable at anything about 5-10mbps. ISPs too know that well so most people don't have any issue with the speed they get as most stuff is done in that speed without really knowing that they are being undersold for a reason they aren't aware of.

I am not siding MTNL as such but discussing it as you are on that forum right now, I am saying there are very few ISPs which are selling plans very truthfully. Most ISPs are using marketing buzzwords and disguising real speeds smartly by other means to provide average speeds to users and making users think that the great burst speeds they see on speedtests and cached content is great but fail to provide consistent internet speed which they advertise and we pay for.

Why MTNL didn't do this or that is completely the failure of our govt to understand 'digital revolution' starts with good internet.

EDIT :
Most people fail to understand why this is wrong, this is against net neutrality. Once we give in to favoring content which is popular this leads to a weird mix of censorship, accessibility and coercion. For now we think that only popular content is being cached which means lowers speeds on uncached content which also means we likely can or cannot stream/watch content which could be threatening to some ISP/govt armada as they control our actual speed. So in a way a censorship by not banning but forcing/discouraging users from watching content which they do not want us to watch. This isn't paranoia this is the reality elsewhere. And since cached content is for now controlled by private players, imagine what the ones with deep pockets can do as our govt. fails to provide any solution quickly and swiftly to such issues. Peering isn't great that is all I am trying to say.

Last edited:
My dear friend...... I agree to the point that most of the new ISP's are misleading with what they are advertising and what they actually deliver..

Now let me explain by realtime scenario...... all the isp's that I have mentioned are offering 50Mbps unlimited for Rs.695/- and what they actually deliver is 10 to 20Mbps which varies from one ISP to other. Now this 10-20Mbps is the actual realtime speed and not the cached contents that one might download...... you can actually check this.

So as I said earlier even this 10-20Mbps unlimited is better than MTNL's plan.

And what would you call live streaming TV channels realtime..... how could you categorise them as cached content....

and as per your version this forum should be totally unusable on these ISP's but that is not the case.......

And yes I am angry with MTNL........ having suffered for years under them......... Even paid for more than 3 months rental/ bill when the line was actually dead and all my complaints fell to deaf ears.....

@ijsa

Just to be clear as I mentioned before I am not defending MTNL nor I care to do that I am just saying imo they are amongst the least shit ISP in the pool of shit ISPs we got. I am not a fan of theirs but I am not even against them as their charges though high are fairly asterisk free.

So as I said streaming anything really requires 5-10Mbps, so the uncached content per month you consume is probably less than 200-300GB. And that is on the heavier side assuming you download from obscure websites. Most other users on a network are not that heavy users. 80% users are working which brings down monthly usage so low, old people don't consume so much (not 100% of them).
This is how ISPs manage to charge you less as the bandwidth they provide 'free' is somehow balanced by other non-heavy users on the network.
There are a lot of variables which help ISP coverup the cost of bandwidth. I am saying they aren't doing a service to you, they still are paying for bandwidth by buying in bulk and un-utilised is shifted to other heavy users. Pull down the cached content servers from ISPs and most small ones will shut down others will spike up the charges or add FUP or lower the speeds.

And what would you call live streaming TV channels realtime..... how could you categorise them as cached content....
Most 'realtime' TV channels are not being streamed LIVE as such but instead stored on servers days before the actual airtime. How do you think the GoT leaked almost a week before with the watermark of Star?

Some ISPs have started providing faster speeds for 'Google and Hotstar' which is what I mean to say is totally illegal and against net neutrality and not something we as subscribers should encourage or support. This is my strong opinion.

And yes I am angry with MTNL........ having suffered for years under them......... Even paid for more than 3 months rental/ bill when the line was actually dead and all my complaints fell to deaf ears.....

From my experience, and I keep saying that all over the sub MTNL is only good if you manage to get your line fixed and stable. If that doesn't happen your internet will be shit forever and there is no point trying to fix it. Line good = MTNL internet stable. Now I applied for fiber few years ago and they yet are installing it. So can't comment on its stability yet. (And yes I applied about 2years ago, their growth is slow af. Thanks govt.)
Got a call last month, they asked if I am still interested in getting the fiber as they are finishing the pending installations. They said it should happen in the next two months, lets see.

Whenever I complain for line or internet issues they add credit/don't charge for that many hours/days until its recorded as fixed. I am lucky to not have my internet down for more than 1hr most of the times, but in this calendar year only once was my internet down for more than few hours i.e. down for 2 days. A tree feel on the junction box of my area bringing down all lines down. My next bill reflected the downtime and was charged less.

Over the years I've applied and tried various ISPs which in my area none provided me stability. Some don't come at all and the ones I tried weren't stable.
and as per your version this forum should be totally unusable on these ISP's but that is not the case.......
Please do read again carefully what I meant to say. I am trying to say providing a switch to ISP to control your speed based on data you request is a dangerous path to take.

Last edited:
Most 'realtime' TV channels are not being streamed LIVE as such but instead stored on servers days before the actual airtime.
Realtime means LIVE as in news channels...... how can you cache them....... and live stream..... tryout JIO TV.....

Their are other things also like twitch.tv....... and whole lot of thing....... just give up your bias and you will discover.....

Why are you so hell bent to impose your cache content theory..... you get at least 10Mbps unltd...... which is any-day better than MTNL 8Mbps FUP....

And you must have some kind of divine blessing that your complaints with MTNL are resolved within 1 hours...... take a poll and you will realise the truth...

I keep saying that all over the sub MTNL is only good if you manage to get your line fixed

yes.... I used to say that MTNL was not for faint hearted...... as long as MTNL was the only option.... but now why should I give damn about it...... I pay the monthly subscription and I need proper service...... why do I need to manage...

@ijsa

What you think is a theory of mine is an actual fact. And you sticking with semantics and not even trying to understand what I am trying to tell you about what peering is which you clearly don't understand is just leading to a dick measuring contest and I am not interested in that. Isn't it obvious that LIVE content examples you give is clearly not cached and why isn't it apparent to you that isn't what I am trying to tell you. LIVE content really is very little % of streamed content.

I don't want to argue with you as its pointless. You are anti MTNL and I am not quite neutral about it. I hate the way they run it but I am okay with the transparency I get. I am anti false advertising and cheating customers and you are clearly okay with that. We will never agree with anything. You are okay to pay for service which you don't get and I've no problem with that perception of yours.

I don't know why you feel I am trying to sell you at getting MTNL nor is anyone trying to do that here. I was just trying to tell you the present ISP scenario of India and how peering is skewed the market in thinking we are getting high speed internet from all. There are only few ISPs actually selling that rest are not. Anyway, I will say it again all this is because you chose to reply in a MTNL sub where users discuss their issues with their ISP. No one is trying to sell you anything. That is all.

Neither am I telling you to leave MTNL..... you can very well enjoy transparency without bandwidth....

But the point you keep on conveniently ignoring and try to impose on others...... Live content is very little..... that might be the case with you with your FUP's....... but not with us...... I use live TV, twitch and n number of other things that are not cached.....

I do agree that they are giving 10Mbps instead of 50Mbps but still better than MTNL poor bandwidth + FUP...

@ijsa As I said you stick with semantics and force the discussion on a single use case makes its quite pointless to have a sane discussion with you.

It is pointless because you have not said anything with substance..... you criticise other ISP's for false advertising but very comfortable paying 5X to MTNL for similar service with FUP....

MTNL has direct peering with google, youtube, facebook servers situated in Mumbai. Just type ping google.com in cmd window and see the pings same as MTNL’s own DSL gateway. I get around 5-6 ms. This has been confirmed by server guy at Prabhadevi Telephone Exchange.

So all peering theory floated in this thread is pure nonsense.

MTNL has direct peering with google, youtube, facebook servers situated in Mumbai. Just type ping google.com in cmd window and see the pings same as MTNL’s own DSL gateway. I get around 5-6 ms. This has been confirmed by server guy at Prabhadevi Telephone Exchange.

So all peering theory floated in this thread is pure nonsense.
Once again not a theory but a fact, check different threads of ISP reviews on this forum itself about the new super fast ISPs you will see. There are few ISPs which even advertise this explicitly (which is against net neutrality)

CDNs and server peering are two very different things.
The CDNs are what serves the website content which caches essential website files to load websites faster and from the closest server to you. CDNs do not cache content for long, as soon as they are updated as soon as content is updated. Server peering cache content like video files or static files which do not need to be changed for days/weeks/months.