MTNL Problem --Not able to open some sites

osinghrathore

I m MTNL broadband user from delhi.
From past three days not able to open many sites some of them are:
www.filemirrors.com
www.thinkdigit.com
www.zdnetindia.com

At times I was not able to open eBay also but currently its opening ( how long god only knows)
Though they are opening on other ISP's nets even when I tried opening them using dialup they opened but not on ADSL

Even complained abt it to MTNL CC but all in vain ( as I had guessed)

Are there any more users getting same problem?
or Only I m getting this.

will check all those sites when i'm home and will let u know my findings 🙂u'll have to wait till morning for that 😀

Same here osinghrathore...feels like a maintenance activity (not sure though). Its happened with me once before, though this time for a longer period. Lets have patience.

MTNL has put out a message saying that their undersea cable has been damaged. Here is the message ... Dear Customer {username snpexim},There has been a major submarine cable failure about 20 kilometers away from Mumbai which is hit by a ship.We are observing constraint of International Bandwidth which is leased by MTNL.You might have observed speed problem during last two days during peak hours.The restoration may take a couple of days and we request your co-operation.Internet HelpdeskMTNL, Mumbai.Message came in today at about 7PM.Best wishes.

Yes, I just read the news in today statesman, There is an undersea cable cut which affects 50 STM links. But it affected more to BPO sectors. Half belongs to VSNL & half to reliance. Vsnl is routing the US bound traffic through singapore & both are using their backup route. So no serious outfall is observed though latency increased a little since the traffic is being routed through different route.

Originally posted by snpexim@Aug 4 2005, 11:37 PM
MTNL has put out a message saying that their undersea cable has been damaged.  Here is the message ... 

Dear Customer {username snpexim},

There has been a major submarine cable failure about 20 kilometers away from Mumbai which is hit by a ship.

We are observing constraint of International Bandwidth which is leased by MTNL.

You might have observed speed problem during last two days during peak hours.

The restoration may take a couple of days and we request your co-operation.
Internet Helpdesk
MTNL, Mumbai.

Message came in today at about 7PM.

Best wishes.
[snapback]19982[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanx mate... I guess posting a problem here is far more efficient then contacting MTNL CC, at least here you get some satisfactory information.
and yes actually I was also worrying about the low speeds I was getting ( its 8-15 KBPS now, contrary to 29-30 what I get generally)

well the data from delhi to mumbai is no longer going over - mum-del-xx-stm1.bbone.vnsl.inbut ratherekm-del-3rd-stm1.bbone.vsnl.inthats the only change in routing i have noticed..No idea how can links over land can be affected by a cut in the sea..maybe a routine change made by MTNL unconnected with the fault...anybody got any idea wat "ekm" stands for??MTNL never sent that mail to delhi users..atleast i didn't get it.any link of that damaged cable news on the net?

Is this the same cable damage that blacked out Pakistan? I couldnt find any other cable damage news. But that was quite sometime ago and this problem is relatively fresh. Maybe its the cable repair process that has affected the mtnl connectivity.

Any ideas how long this will take? Its getting kinda annoying reading pages from Google cache :angry:

EDIT: uh, never mind I found it...its the Bombay High culprict Samudra Suraksha that took the cable with it to sleep with the fishes. No talk of repair estimates though 🤔

yup, on the VSNL side it was the same cable while for reliance it was Flag Telecom's cable which got damaged, a company which they had taken over recently...Thank God we have much better connectivity than Pakistan...they were stuck with no internet for abt a week..the BPO units (not sure how many can exist there 😛 ) were severely affected..Pakistan telecom was routing int'l calls over satellite links

Originally posted by cyberwiz@Aug 6 2005, 10:18 AM
yup, on the VSNL side it was the same cable while for reliance it was Flag Telecom's cable which got damaged, a company which they had taken over recently...

Thank God we have much better connectivity than Pakistan...they were stuck with no internet for abt a week..the BPO units (not sure how many can exist there  😛 ) were severely affected..Pakistan telecom was routing int'l calls over satellite links
[snapback]20143[/snapback]
[/quote]

Ah well i was facing dns resolution issues... too

so just used a diff dns server

here are some

Originally posted by cyberwiz@Aug 6 2005, 10:18 AM
yup, on the VSNL side it was the same cable while for reliance it was Flag Telecom's cable which got damaged, a company which they had taken over recently...

Thank God we have much better connectivity than Pakistan...they were stuck with no internet for abt a week..the BPO units (not sure how many can exist there  😛 ) were severely affected..Pakistan telecom was routing int'l calls over satellite links
[snapback]20143[/snapback]
[/quote]

Ah well i was facing dns resolution issues... too

so just used a diff dns server

here are some

Originally posted by cyberwiz@Aug 6 2005, 02:37 PM
yes its a DNS problem too...thanx  🙂
[snapback]20164[/snapback]
[/quote]

Guys I dont think it was a DNS problem as I was able to reslove DN's to IP's but was not able to ping or trace them.

And just traced them, found they are following different route now
see the router names are chenged now
earlier it was stopping at. mum-del-xx-stm1.bbone.vnsl.in (courtesy cyberwiz)
now: this is going thru nsj-mum-1st-stm1.Bbone.vsnl.net.in

nyways happy now that the problem is gone..... 🙂

ok guys...everything is fine now...everything is back to normal...all the sites are working perfectly for me...do let me know if u find otherwise...