MTNL Mumbai MTNL Mumbai updates its pre-FUP speeds to 6mbps minimum for all plans

I am getting 40 Mbps on VDSL. Even though I stay within 500 metres from Prabhadevi Telephone Exchange, I cannot get 50 Mbps because of inefficient old underground wiring.

@d5aqoëp
Honestly, VDSL is not that different from ADSL. So along with distance what matters is the wire condition , number of joints it went through and also the equipment used to upgrade you. After all VDSL is still served through your same copper line.

It isn't about inefficient wiring, its about inefficient maintenance by our government for literally everything in India right from cables to bridges. They won't ever run a check until it breaks or is about to.

Anyway, If I were you I would be fine with 40mbps and would be happy if it reaches 45mbps. IMO, this is fine. Right now I am pay for 8mbps (as VDSL can't reach me I am about 1.5-2kms away from exchange and they would need to install an extra box after 900meteres which they won't) and for 8mbps I usually get around 7.5-7.8mbps. And I get this only after getting my data rate increased to 9mbps.

If you like MTNL, I would suggest go for fibre. Sadly, I been trying to get FTTH for almost a year now. No progress from exchange 🙁

Got synced to 8Mbps but my joy was nipped in the bud as it disconnects every FEW SECS 😡:frown:😡. Got a call again & was asked 'whats to be done'. I suggested that we try 6Mbps :closedtongue: looks like I have to be happy with 6Mbps, maybe if this holds then I should go for the BB-600-2M which has a bigger DL limit. God knows when these guys will improve their networks. Even my UL cant be made 1Mbps I have to stay with DL 6Mbps & UL 768kbps:frown: real sad state of affairs

Last edited:
@d5aqoëp
Anyway, If I were you I would be fine with 40mbps and would be happy if it reaches 45mbps. IMO, this is fine. Right now I am pay for 8mbps (as
If you like MTNL, I would suggest go for fibre. Sadly, I been trying to get FTTH for almost a year now. No progress from exchange 🙁
I pay for 50 Mbps and cannot get more than 40 Mbps. Even at 45 Mbps sync, MTNL server drops connection without dropping the sync. I get 10000 CRC errors per day. 4 years back when VDSL was new, I was getting synced at 60 Mbps. The phone line has stayed the same just that they have increased the loop length by increasing the distance from exchange.

I had asked them for Fiber connection but they flatly refused to give even though I am under 500 meters distance from the Prabhadevi mothership. They only give Fiber to adjacent societies and residential staff who stays in the staff quarters which is an alongside building. Fiber connection is paper only. They have to tell the babus and mantris that MTNL is future proof by having Fiber plans. They don't have the money or the expertise to lay the fiber to individual homes.

6483807625.png

Last edited:
@socrates
UPDATE : So 1500 had given me 2 numbers to call and get the speed upgraded. Of which one was 12540 (tollfree). At first this number wasn't working (got the message saying the line was dead .. duh!) In few hours it started working but was always busy. Finally was able to get through, the person manning the phone seem to be a technician so he knew exactly what needs to be done.
But what he said next was disappointing, he said not everyone will be given an upgrade, they (exchange probably) is slowly sending numbers for speed upgrade as soon as they clear it up. And my number hasn't been sent for speed upgrade yet.
How much time will it take? He said maybe a week. Will call in 2-3 days again and check.

not yet upgraded the 4mb speed is only as good as 2mb waiting for jio fiber to get rid of this.

I had asked them for Fiber connection but they flatly refused to give even though I am under 500 meters distance from the Prabhadevi mothership. They only give Fiber to adjacent societies and residential staff who stays in the staff quarters which is an alongside building. Fiber connection is paper only. They have to tell the babus and mantris that MTNL is future proof by having Fiber plans. They don't have the money or the expertise to lay the fiber to individual homes.

6483807625.png

Absolutely true When I spoke to my SDE. He had famously told me then they give it only to 'high value customers' & gave me some names of locally know businesses. If they think they can still fleece customers they have BADLY miscalculated with the advent of Jio Fiber

@d5aqoëp
So unfortunate 🙁
I am trying and failing to get FTTH. 2 years go when it all began I was told very low response in my area so they can't get me fiber.
Few months later they said if only there are 5 MTNL customers in my and nearby building they could try to get FTTH to me as digging up and installation for just one customer is too much cost. In 2 months I got them 5 customers, they requested us to fill the form n alloted a new number just for fiber (which they said is directly connected to mothership exchange). Been more than a year now, no progress. All the people have changed and I need to start forcing FTTH again to them. Hopefully soon.

As of now from what I know they are only giving FTTH where they are getting more than 3-5 customers from one building and some such buildings in the same area. Also they are going for new buildings, I mean the ones under construction. They are setting up FTTH there so a new owner just has to apply.
They surely have paying customers, so the plan changes keep happening.

I hope MTNL understands they need to send people and promote FTTH.

The reason they are targeting new bldgs is that many builders are installing fiber lines in their premises & using it as a modern amenity they are offering :biggrin: This saves MTNL the cost of laying a cable to every customers house as they have to only go upto a duct in that premises

I have started to get 6mbps..right now.

But I am on OLD (discontinued for new users) 660 plan. (truely unlimited - NO FUP)

So I am not sure if its a technical glitch or they migrated me to some new plan.

(mtnl website still shows old plan)

I have started to get 6mbps..right now.

But I am on OLD (discontinued for new users) 660 plan. (truely unlimited - NO FUP)

So I am not sure if its a technical glitch or they migrated me to some new plan.

(mtnl website still shows old plan)
What was the plan name?

They are migrating some old plan users to new plans, a friend of mine was on some old ₹699 or ₹799 plan, has been migrated to BB-800-2M.

DSL_Unlimited_Combo_660 .. very old plan. May be 5-6 yr old

DSL_Unlimited_Combo_660 .. very old plan. May be 5-6 yr old
Okay.
Asked my friend he says his plan was DSL Unlimited 666, 2mbps during night (10-8), from July he has be migrated the above mentioned plan.
Is yours Night unlimited or full unlimited? any case if the MTNL site says the same old plan yet, you might be lucky to get a speed bump but not the FUP limit. maybe check start of next month, new plan changes start reflecting on the site in new month.

Its full unlimited.

but speed are back to normal.

looks like it was temporary thing.

In case anyone is interested, the speeds and FUP is now valid till 28th December :biggrin:

Btw, can anyone confirm if they're migrating old users to the new plans?