1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

MTNL Mumbai MTNL Mumbai updates its pre-FUP speeds to 6mbps minimum for all plans

Discussion in 'MTNL Broadband' started by beyondinvisible, Jul 8, 2017.

1. socrates

socrates Retired
    Regulars

Strange looks like all have not been informed as the lady i spoke to was aware & surprised to hear its not been done fr me as its over a week then tht work had started

2. demonicult

demonicult unspecified
    Regulars

@socrates
    UPDATE : So 1500 had given me 2 numbers to call and get the speed upgraded. Of which one was 12540 (tollfree). At first this number wasn't working (got the message saying the line was dead .. duh!) In few hours it started working but was always busy. Finally was able to get through, the person manning the phone seem to be a technician so he knew exactly what needs to be done.
    But what he said next was disappointing, he said not everyone will be given an upgrade, they (exchange probably) is slowly sending numbers for speed upgrade as soon as they clear it up. And my number hasn't been sent for speed upgrade yet.
    How much time will it take? He said maybe a week. Will call in 2-3 days again and check.

socrates likes this.
  3. socrates

socrates Retired
    Regulars

In my past visits I have seen in the server room that this process is down MANUALLY. Yes that's correct. 1504 also told me some devices have to be installed ( wonder where) & the most imp point what happens if ppl's lines cant take the upgraded speed. I think most would vote with their feet & leave (if they have a choice)

demonicult likes this.
  4. beyondinvisible

Regulars

MTNL is the only decent option for me still. I called up Hathway to enquire about their plans and was told it's on the website. When I told him the website plans look old, he couldn't give me any new plans.
    I'm on an old unlimited plan for MTNL, which is ok. But it's frustrating to see others getting such awesome speeds thanks to their providers.

socrates likes this.
  5. demonicult

demonicult unspecified
    Regulars

@beyondinvisible
    imo, MTNL is the only decent ISP right now.
    People will disagree but overall I been an tri band user for 10+ years and never had any major problem with them. Most issues for me have been resolved in less than 2hrs of complaining unless its an issue where they have to visit.

On side I have tried various other ISPs and they either have bad plans, expensive plans or shitty customer service.
    The cable guys give ridiculous plans but their service is shit, 3 out of 7 days its down or is terrible. During day time speed is terrible and rest of the time when I pay for 10mbps I get speed anywhere between 0-10mbps. This isn't a problem for downloaders but I like consistent speed as most of the time I am on a skype or hangout conf call and it stutters randomly. Quite annoying.
    Airtel has laughable post FUP speeds.
    Tikona plans are confusing and their speed isn't consistent for me.
    Hathway support email bounces back, when I call they say we don't serve your area but I know a person who has hathway and their house is less than 1km from me.
    In my experience, I have not seen any ISP that I can say is good or gives me a good reason to switch.

Speed is something you cannot complain about with MTNL, their plans range from 2mbps to 16mbps on your old copper line, FTTH is a yet another different discussion. Sorry to be blunt but your problem isn't MTNL but paying for internet, not everything can be cheap. Most people want cheap internet but want to suck the ISP dry so the caps have to be imposed. If you are willing to pay a bit premium you can get good speeds with manageable FUP limit. Its a compromise for good internet one has to pay as infra isn't cheap.

/rant start
    There was time when you really need high download cap as speeds were terrible and everything had to be downloaded and hoarded, but people need to understand we have passed that phase now and if you want to watch something you can download and watch or better yet stream that shit at good speeds you have at your disposal. Once people start living that mentality and stop hoarding or stop growing their collection for no apparent reason (now), bandwidth costs will go so so low that we will get good speed plans from our ISPs.

We need to start using internet instead of trying to store it on our hard drives.
    /rant over.

#15 demonicult, Jul 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    socrates likes this.
  6. d5aqoëp

d5aqoëp Active Member
    Regulars

I am getting 40 Mbps on VDSL. Even though I stay within 500 metres from Prabhadevi Telephone Exchange, I cannot get 50 Mbps because of inefficient old underground wiring.

demonicult likes this.
  7. demonicult

demonicult unspecified
    Regulars

@d5aqoëp
    Honestly, VDSL is not that different from ADSL. So along with distance what matters is the wire condition , number of joints it went through and also the equipment used to upgrade you. After all VDSL is still served through your same copper line.

It isn't about inefficient wiring, its about inefficient maintenance by our government for literally everything in India right from cables to bridges. They won't ever run a check until it breaks or is about to.

Anyway, If I were you I would be fine with 40mbps and would be happy if it reaches 45mbps. IMO, this is fine. Right now I am pay for 8mbps (as VDSL can't reach me I am about 1.5-2kms away from exchange and they would need to install an extra box after 900meteres which they won't) and for 8mbps I usually get around 7.5-7.8mbps. And I get this only after getting my data rate increased to 9mbps.

If you like MTNL, I would suggest go for fibre. Sadly, I been trying to get FTTH for almost a year now. No progress from exchange :(

socrates likes this.
  8. socrates

socrates Retired
    Regulars

Got synced to 8Mbps but my joy was nipped in the bud as it disconnects every FEW SECS :mad::frown::mad:. Got a call again & was asked 'whats to be done'. I suggested that we try 6Mbps :closedtongue: looks like I have to be happy with 6Mbps, maybe if this holds then I should go for the BB-600-2M which has a bigger DL limit. God knows when these guys will improve their networks. Even my UL cant be made 1Mbps I have to stay with DL 6Mbps & UL 768kbps:frown: real sad state of affairs

#18 socrates, Jul 24, 2017 at 12:08 PM
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017 at 1:32 PM
  9. d5aqoëp

d5aqoëp Active Member
    Regulars

I pay for 50 Mbps and cannot get more than 40 Mbps. Even at 45 Mbps sync, MTNL server drops connection without dropping the sync. I get 10000 CRC errors per day. 4 years back when VDSL was new, I was getting synced at 60 Mbps. The phone line has stayed the same just that they have increased the loop length by increasing the distance from exchange.

I had asked them for Fiber connection but they flatly refused to give even though I am under 500 meters distance from the Prabhadevi mothership. They only give Fiber to adjacent societies and residential staff who stays in the staff quarters which is an alongside building. Fiber connection is paper only. They have to tell the babus and mantris that MTNL is future proof by having Fiber plans. They don't have the money or the expertise to lay the fiber to individual homes.

[​IMG]

#19 d5aqoëp, Jul 25, 2017 at 5:11 PM
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017 at 5:17 PM
    socrates likes this.
  10. Sher

Sher Regular
    Regulars

not yet upgraded the 4mb speed is only as good as 2mb waiting for jio fiber to get rid of this.