MTNL Mumbai FTTH Review

• Thread starter Thread starter d5aqoëp
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 66
  • Views Views 21,943
Upgraded to RT-AX88U.
RT-AC68U is 2 yr old. I don’t know if in warranty or not. But it is actively getting updates from Asus every 2-3 months and is compatible with Mesh.

MTNL's new ping record for speedtest

8290029260.png

Joking aside, MTNL FTTH is the best connection I have ever used in India. Routing is near perfect. Excellent pings to most sites. Heck I get 1-2 ms pings to Google and Open DNS.

Last edited:
@demonicult If you are interested, I have a used ASUS RT-AC68U which sells for Rs. 12 ,000. I have it on sale for Rs. 5,000.
PM me if interested.
Thanks. I will PM you in if required.
The problem is MTNL doesn't have ONTs with gigabit ports available. This makes it a little pointless for me to upgrade to a gigabit router when the source for my connection is going to limit me. So I need to first hunt for a gigabit GPON ONT which works with MTNL and then the router upgrade.

By the way, does turning OFF power to your ONT shut down the telephone line as well? Can you check? For me if I turn OFF my ONT, my telephone line goes blank. Is that usual?

Thank you for confirming that. I have a EPABX system with multiple lines and I was wondering if I messed up the wiring somehow as unlike before a splitter is not connected to this, the ONT itself is a splitter now so.

I hate the fact that there are so little options for fiber connectivity. There aren't much of the options for ONT nor the options for a fiber switch. Everything has to go through that ONT, which means the ONT needs to be good quality.

I purchased a cheap GPON ONU from AliExpress. But alas. It is incompatible with MTNL. Always shows LOS light which means it does not detect any light activity on the Fiber. It’s lying on my attic. 😢

@d5aqoëp I think you need to get it configured from MTNL. I think its like how ISPs give connection to limited MAC addresses and only they are allowed to connect. Because I remember when they configured my ONT/ONU the MTNL technician called the exchange and told them that they connected the unit to my line. Only then the unit was able to receive anything from the fiber line until then FIBER light stayed red.

Sometime last month, I met one of the MTNL fiber guys and told them to give me options to buy some ONT/ONUs as this one is just doing okay. They said an office in Powai did a huge installation and they bought around 20 units themselves which MTNL configured it for them. He was supposed to tell me which ones within a week but haven't heard from him yet. So theres hope I guess.

@demonicult
I had a word with server guys and according to them, only Alphion based ONUs will work because their OLT checks for serial numbers of Alphion ONUs to give access. I contacted Alphion and the prices of their ONUs are exorbitant. Going in the range of 5000 for a simple 4 port ac wifi based ones.

I think @varkey has a Netlink ONU, right?

@d5aqoëp @Nikhil Sharma

Any idea about these?

Yep, I use a Netlink ONT, it's just some chinese device rebranded, there appears to be multiple brands using the same Chinese OEM.

It's decent but nothing great.

However as @d5aqoëp mentioned, Alphion OLTs seem very specific to the type of ONT which is supported. I've seen some Chinese ONTs though which allow you to modify the serial number and other things as reported to the OLT.

Also, in some cases it might just be a matter of whitelisting the ONT, my LCO appears to have whitelisted the ONT serial number so if you connect anything you else it won't register with the OLT, although it's not tied to a brand specifically.