Connection booked: July 2018
Connection done on: 06 Jan 2019
Following is the basic info of the connection
ONU: Alphion 2018 model supporting GPON. (In bridge mode)
Plan: FTTH-2000-100MBPS (Rs. 2000 for 1000 GB data @ 100 Mbps)
Router: Asus RT-AC88U as main router + Asus Blue Cave as Wifi Mesh node connected with Ethernet CAT7 cable.
Switch: NetgearXS708E 10Gbe Switch.
PC: On 10Gbe Aquantia AQC107s PCIe card
Initial speedtest result
Right now the connection is working flawless.
- Good speed to most sites
- Excellent pings to most gaming sites.
- The ONU is good and has given solid 23 hr sessions since 1 week. 0 CRC or FEC errors.
- Connection is stable and IP refresh is fast within 10 sec.
- Excellent telephone voice quality. No khar khar.
- Took 6 months to install. Your mileage may vary. Third party contractors do the wiring and install.
- The quality of wiring is a bit questionable as it is coming from terrace. They have no permission to dig roads.
- Shameful upload speed of just 10 Mbps on FTTH. Download and Upload speeds should be same.
- Definitely expensive compared to BSNL or any other FTTH providers.
I am a little confused, doesn't every router with a WAN port do that?
Oh thank you. Maybe that is the case. The one I got doesn't seem to have Gigabit ports then. it has 4 LAN ports and all seem to be 10/100Mbps port, I guess I need to ask the exchange for that modem.
Every router can dial PPPOe connection. But your ONT needs to be in bridge mode for it to work. We cannot set the ONT to bridge mode ourselves. MTNL exchange guy needs to remote login to your ONE and set it to bridge mode.