mtnl modem problem

• Thread starter Thread starter ajinkya_rbk
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 9
  • Views Views 1,940

ajinkya_rbk

ISP
mtnl
mine is 590_nu plan. mtnl provided me with ut300r2u modem alost 1.5 yrs back....now its on/off switch is not wrking properly(it remains on even if the switch is off)......im paying Rs 80 +tax all this period ...now im thinking of buying my own router...so i have few questions1)what is the normal procedure to tell mtnl that i dont want thr modem?? i.e do i have to go to mtnl xchange n lodge a complaint or it can be possible with a call??2)what router u suggest? plz include d price if u know3)is it advisable to use own 's router?

i dont use on/off switch. one common main switch for comp/router/monitor, so after shutdown that switch goes boom!anyway i think if u hand over ur modem to MTNL with a letter (make sure that u tell them that u still want ADSL connection otherwise they might simply disable ADSL line as well), they will unmark "modem on rent" checkbox in their system.

well with rental routers you have the advantage that if it goes bad, the company replaces it for free (at least here on airtel)...and the company configures it for you. you don't have to worry about things going bad due to some experiment. i personally rent the modem but bought my own wireless router...

mine is 590_nu plan. mtnl provided me with ut300r2u modem alost 1.5 yrs back....now its on/off switch is not wrking properly(it remains on even if the switch is off)......

im paying Rs 80 +tax all this period ...now im thinking of buying my own router...so i have few questions

1)what is the normal procedure to tell mtnl that i dont want thr modem??
i.e do i have to go to mtnl xchange n lodge a complaint or it can be possible with a call??

2)what router u suggest? plz include d price if u know

3)is it advisable to use own 's router?

try talking to their CC guys.... see whats their policy on replacing DSL routers....if you can get a new one from them, then great......

Personal routers are a pain in the ass if anything goes wrong....as i am experiencing now....

it took me quite sometime and a phone call to my networking expert friend to get the wireless router working. i just hope now that it does not reset itself somehow so that i do not have to do it all over again.

actually i had posted long back abt this. i am looking for a simple convertor which converts ADSL signals to LAN signals. No embedded linux, no extra ethernet ports, nothing.One side telphone socket on other side, LAN socket and just LAN and ADSL LEDs, thats it.it wud be so cheap.

im not thinking about wireless router.......actually one of my frnd bought a dsl or Netgear basic router fr just Rs.1300....n in this 1.5 yr period i have paid almost Rs.2000 fr this mtnl router (which the mtnl guy changed once but was more shitty than d previous one)so guyz plz suggest a router (basic not wireless)

well you can actually buy a pretty decent wireless router at that price.the point we are suggestion is that if you get your own router... be prepared to find out ways to configure it to use on your connection.

if configuring means setting pppoe connections in advanced setup on router configuration page n other thngs than i can do it pretty decentlyif u cannot suggest router on public forum can i pm u or mail u??n router comes with 3 yr warranty n i stay near lamington rd,mumbai so even if smthin happens it can be repaired quickly

@ajinkya_rbk So long the modem/router/wifrouter settings are in English, there is no problem, in case you find some difficulty or snag. You buy a modem with a fancy label and your efforts to find details about it, googling and yahooing will be a difficult task. Sometimes I select a Russian/spanish/portugese web site and get it translated by Google ,to answer somebody's query here . Stick to brands like Netgear/D-Link/Linksys/Buffalo, where support is easily available on their websites.May be you will changeto/get/acquire a laptop soon, and a WIFI router will be a good purchase now.Para two: BTW BSNL sells the modem deducting 50% of the rent already paid from the full cost for the same modem.First get yours exchanged, if same scheme available in MTNL !!!!