MTNL+Linksys WRH54G Wifi setup

arjunsood2003

ISP
MTNL Triband
Hi.
Before i start, i earnestly tried searching for a solution to my problem in the forum and a lot of other places, but couldn't find any soln unique to my prob. I hope someone can help me here.

I need to establish a wifi network at my place using my MTNL modem (model T-KD318-MI) and Linksys WRH54G.

SETUP:
1. PCMTNL modem
2. MTNL modemLinksys router.

SETTINGS:
All my settings are as directed by MTNL 1504 staff 🙂

1. Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) on PC has-->
Use the foll IP addresses:
IP Address: 192.168.1.240
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.1.1

Use foll DNS server:
Preferred DNS: 59.185.3.11
Alternate DNS: 59.185.3.12

2. Advanced TCP/IP settings have:
DNS server addresses, in order of use:
Note: I have not done any settings on my Linksys router, except WPA2 security.

PROBLEM:
1. My laptop connects to my wifi network fine, but no site loads.
2. The network and sharing centre on my laptop shows connectivity from--
Laptop ---- linksys(my home network name) ---X--- Internet
Thus it shows no connection to the internet.

3.The network map looks something lik this-->
Laptop === linksys -------- Gateway ----X--- Internet
||
PC -------- Switch

4. The network map shows my laptop and T-KD318-MI IGD. This second device on refreshing sometimes changes to Linksys WRH54G too, and sometime later would again change to the T-KD.. device.

Note: Im being able to surf fine on my PC, so i hope i dont have to make any changes to my PC connection.

Thanks guys.

PS: I'm sorry if i might've put a lot of useless and noob stuff up there, but im really not good at tech details. Hence iv tried giving whatever i thought might be useful. 🙂

If your laptop connects via WiFi then check the TCP/IP properties on your laptop, select 'Obtain an IP address automatically' &
then enter the the DNS servers manually the ones you have mentioned above (point #2) should suffice.
I prefer to use OpenDNS entries.

This link may interest you Socrates model is different but the fundas are same 🙂

had the same problem... this worked for mego to wireless network connection propertiesthe internet protocol version 6 (TCP/IPV6) properties and check obtain dns server address automatically and obtain an ipv6 address automaticallysame for version 4

both my IPv6 and IPv4 settings on my laptop have their settings for IP and DNS set to "obtain automatically", as of now.

@socrates: which of these (IPv4 or IPv6?) DNS settings shd i change to the ones iv entered in my original post?
Thanks!

Update: i tried with IPv4 and it worked! thanks a lot guys! very much!

---------- Post added at 10:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 PM ----------

Guys, a problem still exists.

I lose my Internet connectivity periodically.
Like i earlier mentioned, the Networking and Sharing center on my laptop shows me connected to my router but disconnected from the Internet.

The problem is solved by refreshing the window 'View computers and devices' a couple of times.
Here, i see my laptop and a Linksys device. On refreshing, the T-KD318-MI IGD device shows up, and on refreshing again, the Linksys disappears and the T-KD.. remains with the laptop icon.

This is a pretty stupid way of goin around the problem, and often gets very nagging when the connection keeps dropping very frequently. I lose out on larger downloads that i start-n-forget as well..
Hope there's a permanent solution. 🙁
Thanks

I have unchecked IPv6, also pls add manually the DNS server entries. I know many guys who faced problems when this was kept as 'obtain automatically'. 🙂 I also suggest you try with OpenDNS server entries, my cousin recently had a similar problem but was solved after switching to OpenDNS.

I tried whatever u said, but the problem still persists.What i did -->1. Unchecked IPv6.2. Set IPv4 DNS settings to the one on my PC (provided by MTNL).what is OpenDNS? Here's what's different now-->1. The 'X' on the network map doesn't appear, and it shows me connected to the Internet.2. But my connection still drops, and i still have to refresh my network devices window until the Linksys WRH.. changes to T-KD.. 🙁