MTNL is out of Ports

• Thread starter Thread starter sanke1
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 2,640
ISP
MTNL
Today my neighbor went to Prabhadevi exchange to start his new triband connection for which he had applied a month ago. The ppl over there told him that we are currently short of ports so we cant giv u new connection at the moment. :yahoo: I mean how can they run short of ports ??? If they run short of ports wat can be a solution for it ?? How come BSNL providing net to whole of india never runs short of ports ??????? :O Firstly they run short of Routers, then wires and now this sensation of runnin short of ports... :rofl:

may be they meant IP...as MTNL doesn't use the NAT protocol, it assigns global IPs to each user...so may be they're out of IPs... 😕

looks like IP problem. now a days i get lots of "address allocation failed msg in logs when i try to connect"

Yes it is true. In Delhi too, MTNL is running short of both IPs as well as ports. I got this info from the same source as I got this info.

MTNL has run out of infrastructure...And being a govt organization it has to go through a long tender process to buy new equipp (DSLAM and servers) and maintenance contracts for these.

There are any number of class A owners that lease ip's out, there is a yealry cost for this, worked out Rs.1500/yr when i was witha private ISP. I;m sure a govt. organisatoin would not have too much trouble to acquire these.Only a matter of time..but then for govt. agenceis, ppl are used to waiting right 🙂

I think IP is least of worries for MTNL / BSNL it is things like Servers and DSLAMS that they can't do anything about. It migh take months for a tender process to complete.

The point which sankei has taken has nothing to do with port binding.The problem he is mentioning is not that of IP but of the ports in DSLAM.This is the problem not only in Mumbai but also in DELHI in most of the major exchanges.Ports are not finished in a day or two.If tendering process takes time, why not proper planning done in advance.MTNL must address this issue, plus the issue of shortage of routers.

Issue is not with MTNL or BSNL. It is due to QUOTA.All purchases made by MTNL/BSNL have to have certain percentage of parts procured by govt factories and they in turn raise golbal tenders. That means companies like BHEL / ITI have a quota in every Parts AND Services that is baught be MTNL.Rest of the purchases can be made in open market. That how MTNL started broadband in the first place.

Issue is not with MTNL or BSNL. It is due to QUOTA.

All purchases made by MTNL/BSNL have to have certain percentage of parts procured by govt factories and they in turn raise golbal tenders. That means companies like BHEL / ITI have a quota in every Parts AND Services that is baught be MTNL.

Rest of the purchases can be made in open market. That how MTNL started broadband in the first place.
quota is everywhere!:yahoo:

Not sure whether this is reson for getting slow speed for past 12hours ?

no. not all. this port binding is not responsible for port scarcity. port binding has saved many of the ignorant subscibers, as many of them like my friends have not changed their password.Moreover port can be reutilized if the person who is bound to that port surrender his connection.Scarecity of ports is totally poor planning what ever may be the reasons.