mtnl iptv on windows media center

• Thread starter Thread starter amish
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 103
  • Views Views 102,823
IPTV is actually meant to run on COMPUTER. STB is infact a (mini) computer which converts IP (internet protocol) signals/packets to TV signals.If u have card reader (i think its called CAM), u can decrypt signals and see directly on PC.

i guess the STBs are locked with proprietary codes so it would require more effort to get them on the computer.

yes, if only some one can get the firmware out and convert it in to software 😀

Hi- I once hv tried this, as I said earlier, and got audio/video of poor quality. If anybody using MTNL iPTV, just connect one port(port no. 2 is assigned for IPTV access. allow all ports for iptv access in modem config.) of CPE to your PC. Let another port be connected to STB. Tune into a channel say COLOR thru STB. Now run VLC-media-open network-choose protocol UDP-put address as 226.11.3.27 (its for COLOR) and port as 5000 or 6000 or 7000. I think it should be working. Many IPTV providers around the globe is providing it directly on PC. Aksh/MTNL people say they do not hv info of such kind/or just they lie for the sake of STB sale.....donno.... Use Wireshark to determine these addresses and ports for other channels.Share your results/experiences!!

Does is mean signals are not encrypted? May be once STB authenticates, VLC can sniff the packets!

I think signals are not encrypted. STB has to be logged into their network(as when I start STB, it shows message "initialising the network" and then "logging". The default user ID is 11 followed by phone number and password 12345678. If there is anyway to login thru VLC I think STB will be redundant.

i had tried getting iptv streams working on the computer long back and was ultimately able to get a few seconds of video which conked out due to lack of bandwidth since i had to have iptv box switched on and tuned to the channel i wanted to watch on the comp at the same time. it seems mtnl uses encryption which is decrypted on for a particular stream only when its being recieved by its iptv box. each channel has a seperate stream whose addresses i had picked up from a packet sniffer and had to enter it in vlc.most of this is now obvious to everybody here but the bottom line is that mtnl only gives enuf b/w for one stream of iptv not more so its pretty useless to try getting it working on pc unless you are good at breaking encryption algorithms imported from Israel (yes mtnl's broadband and iptv both use technology borrowed from Israeli companies)if you want tv on computer you are better off getting hold of a 2mbps or more line and then purchasing a proper us based proxy and then setting up boxee for hulu etc. thats what will happen to tv once all these proprietary crazy asses get over themself.../srry for the blabber/

i think some1 already said that ...u can initiate steam using STB and once connection is established then further packets are not encrypted. i.e. first start channel on STB/TV and then u can view same channel on VLC

Hi- I once hv tried this, as I said earlier, and got audio/video of poor quality. If anybody using MTNL iPTV, just connect one port(port no. 2 is assigned for IPTV access. allow all ports for iptv access in modem config.) of CPE to your PC. Let another port be connected to STB. Tune into a channel say COLOR thru STB. Now run VLC-media-open network-choose protocol UDP-put address as 226.11.3.27 (its for COLOR) and port as 5000 or 6000 or 7000. I think it should be working. Many IPTV providers around the globe is providing it directly on PC. Aksh/MTNL people say they do not hv info of such kind/or just they lie for the sake of STB sale.....donno.... Use Wireshark to determine these addresses and ports for other channels.

Share your results/experiences!!

I recently got the iptv and tried the method mentioned above by ranjit, was successful partialy (sound to some extent but the picture was 90% scrambled) i had to use a different address 226.11.2.77 and port was 6000. currently use the iptv connection on my tv but plan to shift it to my pc using a tv tuner or a software method.

had a hard time finding the address for colors .. was a trial and error after i scanned using wireshark. So far the results are very encouraging .. will do some more trials and post.

- Cheers :redface:

I think signals are not encrypted. STB has to be logged into their network(as when I start STB, it shows message "initialising the network" and then "logging". The default user ID is 11 followed by phone number and password 12345678. If there is anyway to login thru VLC I think STB will be redundant.

Is this topic dead or do somebody has solution????
It would be great to watch TV on PC in digital format unlike through STB which converts it to analog.....

I think for now it's not possible to watch iptv directly on the computer:
i had some success initially, was able to get the iptv address of almost all channels flawlessly & was also able to capture relay packets worth a few GB's using Wireshark but then ran out of luck on further research...

Check here:
https://broadband.forum/bsnl-iptv/39998-bsnl-iptv-iptv-pc-through-vlc-player/3/

Now the procedure i followed required a motherboard with 2 ethernet ports - i have XFX 680i Ultra Mobo, this i figured out after a lot of otherwise useless attempts to get iptv to work on vlc. I simply bridged the 2 ports - port(1) from computer was connected to router which was configured for iptv & then port(2) to STB. when the transmission started i was able to capture all the packets using Wireshark - by this method i could note down the ip address/port # of each channel manually as & when i change channels on the STB. now when i removed bridging in the same session & tried VLC player - it didn't work - which made me believe that there could be some hardware encryption involved here & after trying a lot of other combination finally gave up - i also disconnected my BSNL IPTV(Provided by MyWay) for other reasons so could not keep up with further research on this subject. But the process i followed could be easily used to research more on IPTV packet sequence - Good luck for those of you who would continue to work on this matter. Do contact me for any further information you may need w.r.t the procedure i used.

P.S: Don't give up guys even if there is hardware encryption there should be a way of decrypting it using the software when connected to the computer & using the method i followed & with the help of Wireshark you can easily get ip address/mac address of your STB & also of all channels etc. So Game ON !

I am still getting scrambled audio n video on VLC.

Only progress I made till is that I changed my PC Mac Id same as of STB(using S Mac) and now there is no need to change the channels on STB what you want on PC(even no need to connect STB). I directly put the address and port and it starts playing... but scrambled one.

Now there is one direction on which we can head on.... For MTNL users, the USER ID is 11 followed by phone number i.e. 11xxxxxxxx and default PASSWORD is 111111 which is required when STB is installed. When we switch on IPTV normally on TV, one can see the message on screen... "INITIALISING THE NETWORK".... and then... "LOGGING INTO THE SYSTEM". It is this "LOGGING INTO THE SYSTEM" which I think uses the USER ID and PASSWORD mentioned above. This step is missing while playing on VLC. If somebody can breakthrough this I believe IPTV on VLC is very much possible.

So guys, try to find someway to log on(perhaps on server or something else... i donno...).... Posting this problem to VLC forum VideoLAN Project Support may help.....

I think for now it's not possible to watch iptv directly on the computer:
i had some success initially, was able to get the iptv address of almost all channels flawlessly & was also able to capture relay packets worth a few GB's using Wireshark but then ran out of luck on further research...

Check here:
https://broadband.forum/bsnl-iptv/39998-bsnl-iptv-iptv-pc-through-vlc-player/3/

Now the procedure i followed required a motherboard with 2 ethernet ports - i have XFX 680i Ultra Mobo, this i figured out after a lot of otherwise useless attempts to get iptv to work on vlc. I simply bridged the 2 ports - port(1) from computer was connected to router which was configured for iptv & then port(2) to STB. when the transmission started i was able to capture all the packets using Wireshark - by this method i could note down the ip address/port # of each channel manually as & when i change channels on the STB. now when i removed bridging in the same session & tried VLC player - it didn't work - which made me believe that there could be some hardware encryption involved here & after trying a lot of other combination finally gave up - i also disconnected my BSNL IPTV(Provided by MyWay) for other reasons so could not keep up with further research on this subject. But the process i followed could be easily used to research more on IPTV packet sequence - Good luck for those of you who would continue to work on this matter. Do contact me for any further information you may need w.r.t the procedure i used.

P.S: Don't give up guys even if there is hardware encryption there should be a way of decrypting it using the software when connected to the computer & using the method i followed & with the help of Wireshark you can easily get ip address/mac address of your STB & also of all channels etc. So Game ON !

I do not know if this post would be of any help. I have IPTV from MyWay in Bangalore (Cox Town). Last month when I was having some problems a MyWay man came to my house to sort it out. There was some problem with the settop box. After he finished it has started raining and the guy was forced to stay for some time. We got chatting and he asked me if I wanted to connect the IPTV to my computer. I was not really interested to watch TV on my computer but for want of anything to do with the guy I asked how. He looked at my router which is a wa3002g4, logged on and fiddled with the settings and then said that it will not work on this router. He took out a D-Link router fiddled with it, started VLC player and there I could see the IPTV channels being broadcast on it. He installed another software called Cisco IPTV viewer and again show me the channels that I normaly see on my TV via the settop box on my desktop. Since I was not really interested I did not notice what setting he used and where but was curious to know why my router (WA3002g4) was not suitable but his (D-Link) was. He told me that for IPTV to work the router should have an IGMP(or ICMP not sure which) Proxy and snooping. Without these two it is not possible and my router had the snooping part but not the proxy part. A few of the things I recolect him doing are as follows

1. Router had only two PVC connections. The first one was on PPPOE mode with my dataone username and password. The second connection was on bridge mode

2. I have two eternet connections on my PC and he connected both to the router. He opened two lan connnections on the desktop. The first connection has an IP address of 192.168.1.2, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.1.1 and on the second the IP address was 10.250.6.xxx(do not remember), subnet mask 255.255.255.128 and gateway 10.250.6.xxx(do not remember)

I am sorry I can not tell you exactly what he did as I was not paying much attention but the little I remember I have posted. But the important thing he showed me that I can connect on the the net and also to the IPTV server at the same time. While my computer was connected I did not switch on the settop box so do not know if that too would works simutousely or not

----------

I am still getting scrambled audio n video on VLC.

Only progress I made till is that I changed my PC Mac Id same as of STB(using S Mac) and now there is no need to change the channels on STB what you want on PC(even no need to connect STB). I directly put the address and port and it starts playing... but scrambled one.

Now there is one direction on which we can head on.... For MTNL users, the USER ID is 11 followed by phone number i.e. 11xxxxxxxx and default PASSWORD is 111111 which is required when STB is installed. When we switch on IPTV normally on TV, one can see the message on screen... \"INITIALISING THE NETWORK\".... and then... \"LOGGING INTO THE SYSTEM\". It is this \"LOGGING INTO THE SYSTEM\" which I think uses the USER ID and PASSWORD mentioned above. This step is missing while playing on VLC. If somebody can breakthrough this I believe IPTV on VLC is very much possible.

So guys, try to find someway to log on(perhaps on server or something else... i donno...).... Posting this problem to VLC forum VideoLAN Project Support may help.....

Please see my previous post. The MyWay man put my IPTV user name, password and some ID number in the proxy server setting in the D-Link router he used when he was show me how to view IPTV on my computer.

IOL (which provides IPTV services in Mumbai through MTNL) seems to have something called PCTV on their site Welcome IOL Netcom Ltd., which offers TV on your PC without any additional hardware like TV Tuner card, STB, etc.

But their customer service number 126000 seems to be always busy. And it seems IOL and MTNL no longer are affiliated with each other?

Has anybody contacted IOL for this PCTV service?