mtnl iptv on windows media center

• Thread starter Thread starter amish
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 103
  • Views Views 102,843
The STB and card will be required even in the case of IPTV coz, if you don't have it and send unencrypted content through a particular phone line, I can split the line or even route the data stream to my pc and broadcast multiple channels simultaneously all over the place. They do not want that to happen now, do they?

:rofl:If hacking for free viewing is merely "signal" piracy, not "commercial" piracy, then reconfiguring it to view your paid subscription on PC in addition to STB shouldn't fall under any category of piracy at all.... it should become consumer's right!!

Technologically yes,IPTV can run on PC without set top box, you only need to have the decryption system in your system, this is the concept of i2tv.mitesh

Actually my guess was right, IOL's IPTV uses unencrypted signals, at least for live-TV. I could discover required IP addresses and port numbers corresponding to all available channels without much trouble, and figured out how to watch them on any PC/laptop connected to the broadband connection (Type of connection does not matter, so the best part is that it includes WiFi too!). But the irony is that I am still waiting for my line's noise issue to be resolved, and worse- I am not even sure whether they will really be able to fix that at all:wall:VoD must be using higher levels of authentication and/or encryption. Haven't tried to dig deeper into that, but with the kind of content available as of now it is not worth the time anyway!

Very interesting indeed. Even if regular pay channels are available in unencrypted form, that should be sufficient. You can then watch multiple channels simultaneously and in multiple locations as long as there is enough bandwidth available. Have you tried that?

No, I don't think we can watch multiple channels simultaneously.It uses IGMP protocol to join a multicast stream, but when we request a new channel, their server seems to automatically stop the previous stream to your connection. So, my guess is that it may not be possible even with high bandwidth.

That is the problem with online services. Usage can be tightly controlled. Unwinding the encryption/ decryption component of a DTH system will not face similar problems. But that is a completely different problem.

IPTV - It uses internet protocol (not PC) for transmission of TV. Whenever the registered STB is connected to IPTV server, its certificates are first checked while bootup, then after verfication only STB boots & get ready for viewing. The certificates are stored on a special chip on STB board. So it is that chip which virtually communicates with IPTV server, so I think we cannot watch IPTV service provided by MTNL or anyone else on PC. Don't relate watching live online TV channels from some sites to IPTV IPTV or DTH?IPTV is point-to-point service and here the channels are transferred via broadband line which may get loaded if demand suddenly increase causing lose to quality of transmissionDTH is direct from satellite and independent on number of viewers, also can be received throughout country with good Audio/Video quality.So I prefer DTH over IPTV

so I think we cannot watch IPTV service provided by MTNL or anyone else on PC. Don't relate watching live online TV channels from some sites to IPTV

I do understand the difference between IPTV versus internet TV, and I still say that I am able to watch IPTV. They use UDP/IGMP multicast for TV which is almost like broadcast itself. The server keeps on streaming requested video content (channel) to your modem, and then it can be watched simultaneously by all clients connected to it, no encryption. I am no network expert, but if I got it right, server doesn't even keep track of how many client on your network are actually listening to the stream and correct reception of data is not verified. So, depending upon the error rate on the line, you may receive 0% or 100% of it. I am able to watch the channel tuned ("selected" is a better word here) by STB on other PC's, so rest assured that it is not an internet server.

For VoD they seem be using different protocols (unicast with RTP or RTSP or something) which supports better authentication etc.

Yes, very true IPTV uses internet protocol for transmission of Video or meta data encapsulated in the stream. This is true too, only registered Set top Box can connect to the Broadcast server of IPTV and this is done at BIOS of STB. These certificates are stored in flash of STB(this may vary depending upon the implementation by manufacturer). This authentication is checked is only checked while STB is getting boot(this task is done by EMM's). Once Set Top Box is authroized it can view all the FTA content broadcasted by the broadcaster but for viewing encyrpted channels again keys are required which are called as ECM's. I haven't related Youtube stuff and IPTV at all as i know these are totally different. The PC with SIP can get connected to IPTV server and view the channels as well (I am not sure about its limitation as of now but will update). Yes, this is very true that IPTV service providers like MTNL,Bharti,Reliance doesn't support this feature but technologically we can't deny that it is possible.
IPTV or DTH?
Very well explained and true too. But like IPTV channels may freeze if a demand of particular channel increases but in the same way too DTH is also gets directly affected by the climatic changes like thunders and all, i my self has opted to Tata Sky DTH.
But what about the content delay in DTH ?

Santosh,
Hi, I know what you are doing is technically possible but for my knowledge could you please explain the connectivity of your set up by this i mean how u r connected to modem or router with PC and set top box.
thanks,
mitesh

Hi, I know what you are doing is technically possible but for my knowledge could you please explain the connectivity of your set up by this i mean how u r connected to modem or router with PC and set top box.
thanks,
mitesh
It is simple, the telephone line is connected to the modem and telephone instruments using a splitter, just like an usual broadband setup. STB is then connected to the modem through ethernet connector, while PC can be connected through either ethernet or wifi. My modem has USB port too, but have never used it so far.

Let me put the "PC viewing" this way- as of now all their TV channels (60 or so) don't seem to use STB registration as mentioned by you/kedar, and the data too is not encrypted. May be as long as that is true, we will be able to watch it on PCs. If they implement registration with security certificates and/or data encryption (may be for select channels), then obviously it shouldn't work... unless they officially support it by offering specific s/w or cards (or else if somebody hacks it!)

Thanks for info, this is the scenario I expected again here I would like to say is even if all the channels are encrypted then also you will be able to channels if your provider provides you the SIP membership of the IPTVserver. Santosh one thing more please , which player u r using to view channels is it MCE UI LIVE or something else.