• Replies Replies 103
  • Views Views 102,814

amish

Star gazer
I got banned!
ISP
MTNL Mumbai BB_600 @12mbps
Friends

I got this idea just now. IPTV is plain internet protocol TV that is it works on network interface.
Even MTNL wants CPE with multiport i.e. multiple ethernet ports.

Now in my opinion, IPTV STB does nothing but captures IP packets and converts them to
TV signals. This is similar to streaming video that we see on the net.

My question is, is there any software which captures IPTV packets and displays it on
computer? This way we will save STB deposit and its monthly rent! And being software
based STB we can even record stuffs easily at scheduled time and day. And almost
unlimited data can be recorded based on harddisk space.

I think it should be possible. I havent googled for this. Now I will go and do that!
Mean time u can ponder too.

----

I did some research and it seems my idea is possible and is already being worked
upon, here is the link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_tele...rnet_television
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LinuxTV

I will have to ask MTNL/IOL but I doubt if they will be knowing anything about all these.

IPTV STB would also demodulate/decrypt the signals using some kind of authentication which would most likely be hardware based. 😕

demodulation is done by broadband modem in bridged modem. whichwould simply convert ADSL signals to ethernet (IP) one.yes encryption/authentication would be there. but it would again be based on"internet protocol". so that can be integrated in software too.i am sure once IPTV becomes popular, all such software would come intolimelight.I already have found some softwares. But dont have IPTV.i can do further research, i want sponsors.anyone wants to sponsor my research? LOLDisclaimer: i will make best attempts but can not guarantee positive results.

i think the softwares u found on the net are basically using feeds which are broadcasted on the internet rather than local provider...anyways, that article on indiatelevision had this part:Time Broadband is now preparing to deploy IPTV services on both TV & PC delivery. so maybe there is some hope for the future.

those softwares are based on same technology that IPTV uses.they may already be IPTV ready but i dont know how to try it.infact linuxtv already has STB firmwares to download which can be puton STB hardware (chip). that means that same software is used on STB.so on comp we dont need STB at all it would be direct network connectionand the same software.

STB is just another PC (wiht video out and remote senser) running MIPS processor.It gets TCP/IP feed of signal and creates video signal that gets sent to video out.There are software tools + smart card readers that one can use to get IPTV on PC.In this case smart card "should not" be required. So a pure software solution should work.THat is if IOL is using some "open" standerd.

exactly!i have a question.just like earlier when portbinding was not there, ppl could use some1 else username and password on MTNLsameway is it possible to use some1 else's IPTV subscription?since its new. may be port binding on IPTV is not yet implemented.any idea? i donot intend to cheat MTNL but just wanted totry these IPTV softwares and if I like it, I might just go forMTNL. otherwise MTNL should give demo offer where theyrefund deposit of STB if i discontinue within 3 months.

yes its on rent (100rs a monh) but deposit is 999Rs. what if i dislike itafter a month or 2. what if i am not satisfied with quality/service?so thye should basically return 999rs if i return it within 3 months.this way customer will feel secure and they will def attract morecustomers. i am sure registration for IPTV would atleast doubleif they offer 3 month demo.

The lady from IOL who called me told that Deposit of Rs.999 is not refundable, I asked her than why do u call it Deposit, she got stumped... 😀Yes if they give trial offer, that is refundable deposit for STB, I would also apply for it...

QUOTE(Amish @ Nov 2 2006, 12:04 PM) [snapback]67485[/snapback]
i have a question.

just like earlier when portbinding was not there, ppl could use some1 else username and password on MTNL

sameway is it possible to use some1 else's IPTV subscription?

[/b]

I dont think that it would be possible unless u too have an IPTV subscription coz they do make certain hardware changes at the exchange to enable such stuff on ur line.

Agreed With cyberwiz But again Internet is a Land Of HackeRzZz.Your idea of Software solution was great ....After all it's Computer It can Emulate ......lolZZZZ Don't hate the Hacker Hate the Code....

nope changes are same as that is to be made on broadband line. DSL line is their basic requirement for IPTV. but i am not sure if port binding would be done on IPTV port.

Tell me why you receive 256 speed ? Some guy on forum receive 512 ;Coz it's been changed in exchange.Dude tell me why You can access Mtnl broadband at HOME and the telephne line in your office won't work for broadband?Answer:- ActivationDude you require activation lolzzzzzI always welcome Beta testing ..who know it canbe "Hope"HOPE is a good thing.

One line: 3 Signals.Just as to use Triband u need to activate ADSL on each of the telephone lines, same way to use IPTV, u need to activate IPTV on each of the telephone lines.Pre-port binding era we could use anybody's a/c but the telephone line should be activated with ADSL. Even if IPTV does not have port binding IPTV should be activated on the telephone line...