MTNL IPTV: IPTV To Be Launched

lost_soul

[OP]
Apr 17, 2006
Check the link....

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/2162349.cms

While this may bring good news to the beleaguered cable viewers.... I am wondering whether there would be any new unlimited no caps plan that could be launched as well.

(S)aint

Regular
Regulars
Oct 2, 2005
:huh: They havent mentioned it anywhere else..not even on the website...I think they're just testing the service......

GSV13

Special Member
Regulars
Apr 14, 2006
Just one day to go!! Lets wait any extra charges aren't mentioned clearly .Are they going to charge additional for set top box.

indianarchie

Regular
Regulars
Jan 7, 2006
Would 256 kbps be enugh for clearly viewing the channels on IPTY or would a boost be needed? Also, I am assuming that the channels can be viewed on the TV instead of the computer. Am I right?

max

Regulars
Regulars
Oct 6, 2005
256Kbps has nothing to do with IPTV. The bandwidth is not restricted.

maahkaal

Regulars
Regulars
Feb 6, 2006
Mods please merge the thread started by neatfreak on IPTV with this one. The only thing lacking now is mtnl providing an unlimited connection. I'll also be more than happy if they increased the limit of 590 NU plan from 1 GB to 5 GB.Mtnl please make it happen !!!

amish

Star gazer
Regulars
Jul 3, 2006
Mumbai
IPTV will come on separate wavelength, just like broadband and telephone line are separate. So it wont be related to broadband bandwidth or speed or data limit.You should be able to watch it on comp with tv tuner card.

RockStar

May 27, 2006
Yes it has got nothing to do with the bandwidth.. right now they have provided two way splitter if we upgrade to TPTV they will give us a three way splitter the third line will go into the set-top box which mtnl will provide... But well anywayzz right now they just have 20 channels.. they say they will be adding upto 200 channels soon!

amish

Star gazer
Regulars
Jul 3, 2006
Mumbai
upgrading channels should not take time once they stabilise. its just the matter of tying up with channel broadcasters.any idea abt STB cost? installation cost? its launching tomorrow and charges are specified nowhere!i was wondering how many ppl would switch from cable tv to DTH, when STB would be must. but now with launch of IPTV, cable ops are going to have to run for money. finally its time to bid them and their monopoly adieu. they tortured us a lot.time to heal our woes and salt their's!

randomboy

Sep 20, 2006
I am very sceptical about the service. MTNL Linemen are not trained to handle even the broadband part let alone the iPTV part. The scenario is going to be that we will see a program the call up MTNL for complaint The see another program after 1-2 weeks :D