MTNL introduces new BILL-CAP based Circuit Breaker Plans

• Thread starter Thread starter rohaan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 80
  • Views Views 17,308
Source. Triband Tariff.
GR8 to see MTNL introducing new plans at such dirt cheap rates and waiting for the unlimited plans to have there speed bumped up.:hysterical:😀

actually this should be a bit worrying . . . mtnl is the only one who has so far no FUP plans. I think they are joining the FUP bandwagon too with the introduction of these plans. They have adapted Airtels bill cap idea in these plans. If they reduce unlimited pricing or increase speeds for same price . . which ever way . . .it seems quite likely that they will come with some form of FUP restrictions.

While these plans may seem to be an excellent deal for many users, the last standing FUP-less ISP may be falling too . . .!

ps: AFAIK mtnl has always counted uploads as well as downloads as data usage for its limited plans.So dont think its a new fine print they have just added.

actually this should be a bit worrying . . . mtnl is the only one who has so far no FUP plans. I think they are joining the FUP bandwagon too with the introduction of these plans. They have adapted Airtels bill cap idea in these plans. If they reduce unlimited pricing or increase speeds for same price . . which ever way . . .it seems quite likely that they will come with some form of FUP restrictions.

While these plans may seem to be an excellent deal for many users, the last standing FUP-less ISP may be falling too . . .!

ps: AFAIK mtnl has always counted uploads as well as downloads as data usage for its limited plans.So dont think its a new fine print they have just added.

My thoughts exactly after i read the fine print. But you are wrong on the part that MTNL always took uploads into account when counting downloads. I was on the 598 ltd plan (previously it was called DSL 599) from 2005 till July last year. This is the first time they are taking into account the uploads. See http://mtnlmumbai.in/triband/htm/tri_faq.htm#17 Ans #17 that should remove all doubts & http://mumbai.mtnl.net.in/triband/htm/tariff.htm#tariff 7th column of limited plans. 🙂

Agree with socrates about the uploads not being counted in the usage & that link says it all. 🙂 This is the first time they have done it for these two plans. I hope the contagian does not spread to other limited plans :O

I think MTNL has introduced these plans to stave off competition from Tikona. Tikona has an almost identical plan at Rs. 499/-. They even call it a circuit breaker. MTNL's is a bit better because it allows you to continue using beyond the circuit breaker at reduced speed.And btw, that plan too counts both downloads and uploads.In my case at least, I was recently seriously contemplating switching to Tikona since their access point is on my building terrace. But with this, I think I'll switch over to this 497 plan and try for a while.

Plan 2 is actually INDIRECT Fair Usage Policy plan.

497Rs@2mbps till 5GB and then 10p/MB ~ 1Rs/10MB ..so u get ~ 5 more GB @2mbps till 999Rs. so overall u get 10GB @ 2mbps for 999Rs

After that it becomes an unlimited plan but speeds reduced to 256kbps.

So indirectly is 2mbps unlimited plan @ 999Rs with FUP CAP of 10GB after which ur speed is limited to 256kbps

daddycool, tikona has a plan of 2mbps with circuit breaker 799 plan. But after the limit you are cut short to 512 kbpsTikona - in 499 after reaching INR 999 circuit , are you stopped the internet facility?I am talking of Mumbai

In Tikona in CB 499 - free usage of 5 gb@ @MBps then Rs10 paisa per MB till your bill reaches Rs 999 then "net" is cut, otherwise the 799 has free usage of 8Gb @ 2Mbps after that 512kbps no disruption in services.(mUMbai)

Any ways nice initiative to update their old plans and to attract further customers all at the expense of quality

Regards

daddycool, tikona has a plan of 2mbps with circuit breaker 799 plan. But after the limit you are cut short to 512 kbps
Tikona - in 499 after reaching INR 999 circuit , are you stopped the internet facility?

I am talking of Mumbai

As Karan mentioned the biggest circuit breaker plan of Tikona is CB499. The FMC799 which you are probably referring to is what Karan has also explained and is not a circuit breaker plan. Which one is better is totally dependent on your personal need. If your requirement is normally within 8GB but could be heavy in some months then the FMC799 is a decent plan. But if you are going to be almost always under 8 GB then the CB499 of Tikona or even the MTNL new 497 plan could save you money. In recent times my metered download on MTNL has been just around 2 GB per month so I think the new 497 plan will work for me. I am aware that my uploads will now be metered too.
I used to be happy with MTNL while I used their 2 mbps limited plans. My problems started after I switched to unlimited plans. My downloads peaked at over 20GB then. Not any more. So I am inclined to try this now. I will first update all my software and then switch 🙂

Popcorn,Usage is always individualized to the user , I have always looked for reliability and quality over usage in an ISP,what matters here is your preference over MTNL or Tikona or even Airtel.Plans can be innumerable but what is a use of a plan if the net is only down?Regards

So many complicated plans!!! Instead of reducing no. of plans, MTNL increases them thus increasing customer and call center frustration 😀LMAOThe day MTNL introducs FUP on its 1Mbps U/L Rs 999 plan, is the day I will stop using internet ;P or probably not 🙂

If these plans get a good response then MTNL will be tempted to include the uploads in the usage calculations & maybe also start FUP 🙁

Yeah but seriously, if they have a plan to meter download only as before and they introduce another at the same or lower price where the data limit is 2x the old one metering both download and upload, we still benefit because for most of us the upload is still a fraction of the download unless you are a torrenter. Like they have a 598 (i think) which allows 2.5 GB download and they introduce 497 with 5 GB download plus upload, I believe I will get more than 2.5 GB download anyway before I complete my 5 GB quota.
What do you think?

I think you are right also we have to consider that in the DSL 598 they charge 0.60/MB whereas in the new Freedom 497 plan its 0.10/MB 😀 Personally I wish thay had capped it at 7GB per month limit, I guess I am being greedy, after I read the fine print I saw that my usage (DL+Upload) is usually just above 5GB :redface: , still I might give it a try for a month or too. If I don't like it then I will revert to the UL 599 plan AND hope they forget to reduce my sync rate 😀