Mtnl Internet Conection Sharing Over Lan

• Thread starter Thread starter nischal
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 11
  • Views Views 6,575

nischal

Guys ! .. This is my First topic post . I went through lots of topics on setting up manual dial .. and finally was succeful todaythanks friendsI have new probelm through now .. and i canot just resolve it .. I have laptop which is conected to the desktopmy adsl router is conected to my desktopi dial manully ussing windows ppp dialier from desktopnow how do i dial from my laptop or / maybe use internet from my laptop w/o going thru the pain of dialing through dektop everytime before i want to use the laptop.. Earlier .. before using Windows PPP dialer .. ie . when iwas using PPPoE ... i had enabled ICS for my desktop mtnl (lan) .. and i just had to switch on the router and i could access the internet on my laptop..Please help .. !

How is ur Laptop connected to dektop?

QUOTE(baudhayan @ Feb 8 2007, 11:56 PM) [snapback]79124[/snapback]
Use a free & easy configurable Proxy Server like AnalogX.[/b]

My laptop is connected to dektop via Lan card .
Ip address of dektop - 192.168.0.1
Ip address of laptop - 192.168.0.2

I have used proxy programs
ANAlogX will make internet accessible on my laptop .. but that is not the issue
the issue is that iwanna dial thru the ppp dialer on my laptop .. and the laptop is connected to dektop via lan .. the router is connected to dektop via ethernet
i can dial from desktop and connect to the internet . Once i dial on desktop i am able to surf from laptop
but i am sure there is a way to dial from laptop

p.s. laptop dekstop bioth run windows XP pro

guys please help me
accessing internet on my laptop is very imp for me
i have tried searching on google a lot but no help

If u are using a hub connected to router to connect both ur desktop and Laptop, just create a dialer in the same manner as u created on desktop..if it doesnt work post the error here.

QUOTE(cyberwiz @ Feb 9 2007, 12:01 PM) [snapback]79159[/snapback]
If u are using a hub connected to router to connect both ur desktop and Laptop, just create a dialer in the same manner as u created on desktop..if it doesnt work post the error here.[/b]

cyberwoz .. dude not using a hub . My laptop is connected to my dektop directly using RJ cable . My desktop has 2 lan cards .. one lan card is connected to the DSL 502 router and the second lancard is connecting laptop via RJ cable.
there is no hub in between

never used a hub

Its cyberwiz dude..anywayz ..with the setup u have its not possible to connect to router and internet without switching on the desktop..get a hub mate...

one thing i'd like to point is that u're using 192.168.0.1 IP range, while the default is 192.168.1.1...and one more thing...why r u connecting your laptop with the desktop...just plug the laptop directly on the USB port...that way u will be able to directly dial from the laptop and can access the desktop as well, but you need to assign IPs to your desktop and laptop both..."obtain automatically..." shit won't work...so your config should look something like this...

router IP - 192.168.1.1
desktop IP - 192.168.1.2 (with gateway 192.168.1.1) (connected over ethernet)
laptop IP - 192.168.1.3 (with gateway 192.168.1.1) (connected over USB)

this way u can dial from either and get connected...but i don't think u can surf on both simultaneously like this...only one would work...may be the proxy thing works, but i've never tried that...see if that solves ur issue...

QUOTE(coolbuddy_79 @ Feb 9 2007, 11:06 PM) [snapback]79260[/snapback]
one thing i'd like to point is that u're using 192.168.0.1 IP range, while the default is 192.168.1.1...and one more thing...why r u connecting your laptop with the desktop...just plug the laptop directly on the USB port...that way u will be able to directly dial from the laptop and can access the desktop as well, but you need to assign IPs to your desktop and laptop both..."obtain automatically..." shit won't work...so your config should look something like this...

router IP - 192.168.1.1
desktop IP - 192.168.1.2 (with gateway 192.168.1.1) (connected over ethernet)
laptop IP - 192.168.1.3 (with gateway 192.168.1.1) (connected over USB)

this way u can dial from either and get connected...but i don't think u can surf on both simultaneously like this...only one would work...may be the proxy thing works, but i've never tried that...see if that solves ur issue...[/b]

EUREKA EUREKAAA!
guys i managed to connect my laptop to internet w/o using proxy and stuff..
i have created a virtual coneection of my dektop internet connection on the laptop
enabled the sharing for dialup connection on dektop
and in laptop i have to just click connect and vola !
its connected
coool anyways thanks alot friends

QUOTE(agg @ Feb 10 2007, 12:56 AM) [snapback]79272[/snapback]
EUREKA EUREKAAA!
guys i managed to connect my laptop to internet w/o using proxy and stuff..
i have created a virtual coneection of my dektop internet connection on the laptop
enabled the sharing for dialup connection on dektop
and in laptop i have to just click connect and vola !
its connected
coool anyways thanks alot friends[/b]

But one thing still beats me! Why do you want to keep your desktop switched on just for surfing from your laptop? You are wasting electricity, aging your desktop components unnecessarily, spoiling your monitor.....got the point? Why not simply get a hub (they are quite cheap nowadays) and get it done with?

IF the connection is from a ADSL router then why do you need a hub ? It has total of 4 ports, out of which 2 are assigned for LAN. Use the spare one for your laptop. Well, atleast Sterlite SAM300 gives you that. Or else, just get a wireless ADSL router from MTNL. That way you won't need a cable to connect to your connection.