mtnl gateway mystry

lightgreen49

Regular
ISP
MTNL
ok u have gateway on ip connection setting under local area network .. but u also got gateway on the router home page thats an WAN ip 120.xxx.xxx.xx in my case .... i m on mtnl whats this .. can it come to any use if we put it directly under the local area gateway setting ... any expert hep plz.. e all know that mtnl sucks on USA servers ping ~374ms

tht 120.x.x.x is ur current IP address given to u by MTNL...... its dynamic and cant be controled by us...... u cant just put it in ur LAN properties IPv4 tab....... since ur LAN connection is betwn ur router and ur PC only....... also ur router will not recognise the 120.x IP..... since router is set with DHCP..... it will only understand IP's with a specified range...... like 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.200.......
Tht 120.x.x.x IP has nothing to do with ur ping....... u need to post a tracert of US server for us to find out where ur ping is increasing...... I play on US LOL servers everyday...... located in LA...... am getting 235-255ms ping...... try to ping and tracert the server below......
Code:
tracert 216.52.241.254Tracing route to riotgames-17.ext1.lax.pnap.net [216.52.241.254]over a maximum of 30 hops:  1

u r wrong bro!!! i check my ip /... google "what is my ip " and number of site shows up.. my ip ......120.xx.xx.xxnow go in router page ->device info->summary.. the ip ........120.xx.xx.1 (shown as gateway ip)now i want to know what is this gateway device ?? .. my gateway and DNS in settings is of router is (192.168.1.1)which redirect the packets to other gateway (and also to the DNS as defined in router page )i suppose ... my my query is is there a way i can change the route of packets in order to obtain better pings ???? (may be to instead of the static address of 192.168.1.1 of router to the dynamic ip as designed bby MTNL (u know they have 120 and 59 series IPs))

Routing of packets is in the hands of the ISP...... u cant chg it.........
U can use VPN servers but they mostly tend to increase ur ping further.......

lightgreen49 said:
u r wrong bro!!! i check my ip /... google "what is my ip " and number of site shows up.. my ip ......120.xx.xx.xxnow go in router page ->device info->summary.. the ip ........120.xx.xx.1 (shown as gateway ip)
How am I wrong???....... I said tht IP 120.x.x.x is given to u by MTNL dynamically.... which is correct..... u cant set it on ur own....... which is correct........
There r 2 IP's shown in the router..... 1.) IP Address 120.x.x.x ..... 2.) Gateway IP 120.x.x.x .......
Both r assigned by MTNL....... ur router has no control over it........ tht Gateway IP is the server u connect to, to get ur net.........
Once again........ u hav no control over these 2 IP's....... u can go to ur xchg and ask them to chg it...... I doubt they will entertain unless they find a fault in it.....
Stop confusing IP's betwn ur router == MTNL (120.x.x.x) ........ and router == PC (192.168.1.x)

panzer008 said:
There r 2 IP's shown in the router..... 1.) IP Address 120.x.x.x ..... 2.) Gateway IP 120.x.x.x .......
Both r assigned by MTNL....... ur router has no control over it........ tht Gateway IP is the server u connect to, to get ur net.........
consider the DNS senerio .. 1)there is a DNS by ISP .. 2)the DNS u can set in router.. 3)the one you can set n properties of local area connection
i accept the fact that 1)ip address 2)gateway ip is provided dynamically by ISP
the gateway set in router dynamically (120.xx.xx.1) is the ultimate gateway fo internet connection (i use pppoe mode) .. please state its specific role .. and what if we set the gateway in Local are connection ->properties