MTNL FTTH In Mumbai

• Thread starter Thread starter joels
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 76
  • Views Views 36,717
mgcarley said:
FTTH has a radius of 10km using standard equipment, or 40km using long-reach stuff (5km or 20km respectively is a safer bet depending on the quality of the optics). Chances are that MTNL has the same kinds of troubles as everyone else trying to lay fibre, so they're keeping it hyper-local.
Most of these poor saps are untrained(Most of these guys are from the 'voice' era). All exchanges are connected to each other thru fiber optic cables, they only have to lay a new cable from the cabinet to the house. But for some reason they have not got their act together yet. In 2008 the then ED was quoted in the media that they would start rolling out FOC in Dec of that year. But when I mentioned this to the DE of my area, he tried hard to stifle his derisive chuckle. 🙁 Got a call just now from them about a complaint I had made about 2 weeks ago !!! 😛issed-off: wheels of this PSU turn slowly

socrates said:
Most of these poor saps are untrained(Most of these guys are from the 'voice' era). All exchanges are connected to each other thru fiber optic cables, they only have to lay a new cable from the cabinet to the house. But for some reason they have not got their act together yet. In 2008 the then ED was quoted in the media that they would start rolling out FOC in Dec of that year. But when I mentioned this to the DE of my area, he tried hard to stifle his derisive chuckle. 🙁 Got a call just now from them about a complaint I had made about 2 weeks ago !!! 😛issed-off: wheels of this PSU turn slowly
"only"If only it were so simple 🙂Laying a cable from the exchange to the building in itself is a task and a half - I'd be willing to bet that, even putting aside their money issues, societies across the city are stymiing MTNL's requests to lay cables.The equipment & topology for FTTH is a bit different from the equipment & topology for DSL (in MTNLs case, especially, because they never went to an FTTC model like most other providers in the world did, there is no intermediate for them).I'd also be willing to bet that part of the reason they require several users per society to sign up is to do with the splitting. They can't just split at the cabinet (would have been nice for them if they could - then it would have been a lot simpler for them to deploy FTTH), and because they have no money, they want to make sure the equipment is all paid for by the time it's installed rather than having any kind of RoI timeframe.Of course, they'd really have to sell the benefits of fibre which may involve offering better plans. Heck, I had trouble convincing some of my own neighbours.

Laying a cable from the exchange to the building in itself is a task and a half - I'd be willing to bet that, even putting aside their money issues, societies across the city are stymiing MTNL's requests to lay cables.
Like I said all exchanges are inter connected by FOC & if i am not mistaken even the cabinets are connected, this is my personal opinion as i have seen these blokes connecting the FOC to the cabinet near the ice cream parlour on T Kataria Marg (its relatively close to your place, i guess) 🙂 hence I thought its the same with most cabinets.
I think that MTNL has v foolishly not pushed/priced FOC aggressively which would have knocked the socks of the competition.
The usual excuse they give is BMC does not give permission to dig up roads i think that is a load of drivel. Everyone & his dog can dig up our roads but not MTNL. The cable to my bldg which goes from the front of Canara Bank has gone bad 5-8 years ago but they still haven’t repaired it for the same reason, so they have taken a cable from another bldg in my colony (cablewallah style).

socrates said:
Like I said all exchanges are inter connected by FOC & if i am not mistaken even the cabinets are connected, this is my personal opinion as i have seen these blokes connecting the FOC to the cabinet near the ice cream parlour on T Kataria Marg (its relatively close to your place, i guess) 🙂 hence I thought its the same with most cabinets.
Exchanges being connected by fibre is nothing new (even in India). On the other hand, cabinets being connected by fibre is relatively new in India. Probably they are readying the area for VDSL and/or FTTH - I haven't checked myself.
socrates said:
I think that MTNL has v foolishly not pushed/priced FOC aggressively which would have knocked the socks of the competition.
I think that's what I was getting at: the plans suck (considering what they offer could easily be delivered over copper).
socrates said:
The usual excuse they give is BMC does not give permission to dig up roads i think that is a load of drivel. Everyone & his dog can dig up our roads but not MTNL.
It's not. I get the same nonsense all the time. And if it's not the BMC, it's the society people. Only one person needs to object for a simple job to go completely awry.On the other hand, people digging up the roads currently are usually road construction (or water) companies which is a different kettle of fish - those guys are contracted by the BMC to do that stuff.Telecoms are not considered as an essential/basic service yet so it's not granted automatically to Telcos, whereas it is to water/road/etc companies. The fees are also much higher for Telcos as compared to say Electricity companies (despite the infrastructure being laid being visually and practically similar).
socrates said:
The cable to my bldg which goes from the front of Canara Bank has gone bad 5-8 years ago but they still haven’t repaired it for the same reason, so they have taken a cable from another bldg in my colony (cablewallah style).
Not surprised. Not even a little bit.

mgcarley said:
Exchanges being connected by fibre is nothing new (even in India). On the other hand, cabinets being connected by fibre is relatively new in India. Probably they are readying the area for VDSL and/or FTTH - I haven't checked myself.
x720 said:
Just to add. Cabinets in my area too seem to have fibre. Been like this for a while now.
Yes Laying of FOC started in1990-91 in Mumbai & connecting the cabinets around 1995 in my area.

socrates said:
Yes Laying of FOC started in1990-91 in Mumbai & connecting the cabinets around 1995 in my area.
I'm not entirely convinced the cabinets would have been connected by fibre in 1995 - ADSL wasn't even ratified until 3 years later and the connecting of fibre to cabinets didn't even start happening in the highly developed world (Japan) until the early 2000s and the rest of the developed world until the mid 2000s.The cabinets I've seen of MTNL in Mumbai were all connected by a rather thick copper cable to what is effectively a switchboard (unpowered, I believe) where all the twisted pairs from each subscriber's house come to be plugged in - similar to this (except without the white unit at the bottom http://www.infos-reseaux.com/photos/image.php?id=99)If it were connected via fibre, you'd see inside these cabinets all sorts of neat and interesting things including but not limited to the DSLAM itself, batteries and other bits and pieces. You would also be able to hear fans (and see fan vents) since both the DSL equipment and the fibre equipment need to be kept (relatively) cool, sort of like this http://www.infos-reseaux.com/photos/image.php?id=101

mgcarley said:
If it were connected via fibre, you'd see inside these cabinets all sorts of neat and interesting things including but not limited to the DSLAM itself, batteries and other bits and pieces. You would also be able to hear fans (and see fan vents) since both the DSL equipment and the fibre equipment need to be kept (relatively) cool, sort of like this http://www.infos-res...mage.php?id=101
The cabinet in front of 'Natural's Ice cream parlour (T Kataria Marg) looks similar to this.

socrates said:
The cabinet in front of 'Natural's Ice cream parlour (T Kataria Marg) looks similar to this.
Interesting. One would have to wonder then why they aren't offering higher-speed plans if there really is a DSLAM in that cabinet - after all, that's part of the point of bringing the equipment closer to the user.Maybe I'll have to get one of the guys to send me a picture if possible - the ones on LJ road between Shobha and Victoria High School were pretty bare-bones (as described) last time I saw them open.

Stay like 2 mins walking distance near prabhadevi exchange , asked for FTH plan months back , said no space for new ppl as of now try later ...
even now problem !
for ppl who have FTTH connection do you guys have Connection dropouts ... like may be internet just stops !
You HAVE to reboot the router ? on VDSL this is a new frustration !
if no dropouts, i will ping them again and again for a FTTH line !!! ,
is it better to shift to FTTH ??
also does your connection get a static ip always (for free) ?

Yes, you need to reboot the router every 10 hours. This is a fixed behavior with MTNL connections.
The static IP is free, though when i applied there was a confusion and they charged me for it. Now I have to go and get a refund.

can anybody tell me if it is available in kharghar sector-11 navi mumbai
i am using dvois ion ssv broaband 4mbps@rs-1400/-
my speed test:-

I also approached the exchange for FTTH (Mulund). They said they need minimum 3 connections , and with that they will try level best to give it.
I then took the 8Mbps plan on DSL for now.
Now I really think , FTTH is not worth because even looking at minimum cost :
FTTH : Rs 1050 for FUP 25 GB (10 Mbps speed)
DSL : Rs 1050 for FUP 28 GB ( 8 Mbps speed).
What is the advantage of FTTH ? At least the FUP should have been higher !
Is MTNL doing this on purpose or what ! ? It doesnt want people to take its FTTH connections ? Really sad
What do you think guys ?

FTTH only exists in their heads lol.
I havent seen anyone yet who has gotten a FTTH connection.