MTNL Fiber to the Home (FTTH) to offer 10Gbps High speed Broadband

• Thread starter Thread starter ace_neo
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 174
  • Views Views 46,010
So anyone from Delhi on FTTH plan??

To be honest, the one who opts for FTTH plans now is a complete idiot or an MTNL employee.

MTNL may have announced the plans, but are they actually going around installing fiber? I was assuming implementation was months, if not years, away.

MTNL may have announced the plans, but are they actually going around installing fiber? I was assuming implementation was months, if not years, away.

In Mumbai all telephones exchanges are interconnected by fiber optic cables, so in most cases they will have to lay cables from the red junction boxes (I forget the names for these) 🙂they have on the roads to your residence.

In Mumbai all telephones exchanges are interconnected by fiber optic cables, so in most cases they will have to lay cables from the red junction boxes (I forget the names for these) 🙂they have on the roads to your residence.

I am assuming we will get FTTH before?

All Tel exchanges in Mumbai are interconnected by fiber & that work had begun in the 90's. If people remember the deep trenches dug into which grey plastic pipes were laid in a neat structured manner, separated by cement separators. You can see the cast iron lids to their ducts on roads with MTNL written on it. In fact the fiber comes to the duct in my colony but the last mile is the copper wire which had been reinstalled in 1991. I had mentioned this fact in another thread long ago but there was some jerks who tried to dispute it but they are welcome to their opinion :argue🙁or ignorance). I had even confirmed this with the DE for my area who confirmed that its laid upto the duct in my colony but no answer why it was never extended. The cat was let out in 2009 (during the April Problems) 😱by the SDE that the last mile fiber was given to 'High End User's' read those commercial establishments who could be milked as I was told it cost over a lakh. Yes that's right, not a typo. He gave some names in my area like a travel agency etc. :tongue2: :angry (2):

I am assuming we will get FTTH before?

That is the million Rupee question 😀

just imagine 10gbps with data limit of 100GB it will get exhausted in 81.92 seconds

120GB will get exhausted in 98.304 seconds

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 PM ----------

other questions also to be raised on such speeds... if theory wise I download 120GB, will my harddisk physically be able to write and store at that rate ?

Hi,Be realistic guys 10 Gbps .... there are no Ethernet adapters running at that speeds available of consumers worldwide.The ones which are capable are and /one which I know is the Cicso Catalyst series 🙁. Which is a switch !Regards:kiss:

exactly karanaparikh... this FTTH in india will still take minimum 15 years....

just imagine 10gbps with data limit of 100GB it will get exhausted in 81.92 seconds

120GB will get exhausted in 98.304 seconds

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 PM ----------

other questions also to be raised on such speeds... if theory wise I download 120GB, will my harddisk physically be able to write and store at that rate ?

1. This is only an issue if you have 100+GB of stuff queued for download. Furthermore, it also depends on the rate at which the server/host can send that information to you.

2. No, most hard disks have a maximum theoretical speed of 1.5 or 3Gbit/s, SATA3 has I think 6Gbit/s but rarely will you get anywhere even close to that.

Hi,
Be realistic guys 10 Gbps .... there are no Ethernet adapters running at that speeds available of consumers worldwide.
The ones which are capable are and /one which I know is the Cicso Catalyst series 🙁. Which is a switch !

Regards:kiss:

There are tons of 10gbit/s things around. Just... not meant for consumers.

It seems MTNL is run by some nerds. Its been 10 days since MTNL Mumbai announced the FTTH thing and there is no news or updates of the same on their website. This shows MTNL Mumbai's who cares attitude.Today while watching Hyundai Verna official launch live stream net disconnected every 10 min, really fed up with MTNL.:Freaky::bomb::hypnotized::aglerks::sniper:

the day mtnl launches FUP in unlimited plans, airtel and reliance will have very good business in Mumbai.

I am thinking of moving to Hyderabad to take advantage of Beam Fiber. In fact anyone looking for fast internet access at reasonable prices should move to Hyderabad. 🙂