MTNL Fiber to the Home (FTTH) to offer 10Gbps High speed Broadband

• Thread starter Thread starter ace_neo
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 174
  • Views Views 46,011
Business Line : Industry & Economy / Info-tech : DoT, regulator differon national broadband network plan

TRAI and DoT also differ on defining broadband speeds for consumers. While the regulator wants the minimum speed to be increased from 256 kbps to 512 kbps, DoT does not want to specify it in the policy. “It is universally recognised that the minimum speed as per definition of broadband in India is very low i.e. 256 kb per second. What has been proposed by the Authority as part of the National Broadband Plan is a minimum download speed of 512 Kbps immediately and 2 Mbps by January 1, 2015. It is absolutely essential that this definition is adopted; failing which, there will be serious quality of service issues,” TRAI said.

Thats what I was saying ....... INDIA is going to be FASTEST BROADBAND COUNTRY (in dreams) thanks to DOT. I say black days are ahead once there recommendation of no speed defining becomes a rule........ we will again see those 56k/64k/128k days in the name of FUP if all goes the way DOT wants it to be.

isnt lithuania poorer than india??
Hayai FTW!! 1Gbits!!!

What you are going to do with 1 GBit/s??
100 Mbps is more than enough for normal home usage.
Otherwise you will kill some parts of your computer. 😛

isnt lithuania poorer than india??
Hayai FTW!! 1Gbits!!!

Heh. No. Not a chance. They have streets adorned with gold and one of the strongest currencies in the world, although soon presumably they will adopt the Euro (I think it's already directly spendable there). All 3 of those countries (EE, LV, LT) are strong in supporting European BPOs and Technology firms.

(OK I made that first bit up about the gold... but it's a common thing to hear in Eastern Europe for some reason... I used to hear it about Helsinki also).

Thats what I was saying ....... INDIA is going to be FASTEST BROADBAND COUNTRY (in dreams) thanks to DOT. I say black days are ahead once there recommendation of no speed defining becomes a rule........ we will again see those 56k/64k/128k days in the name of FUP if all goes the way DOT wants it to be.

I also think the minimum speed thing is silly, and that the definition should be re-worded in such a way that it encourages providers to give good speeds. Perhaps it should address the FUP as well, and say that speeds "post-FUP" should not be less than 512 or something.

Maybe another scam waiting to be unearthed here :rofl:

It's happening all too often all around the world.

Its too much, if the speed is 1mbps, then how can they publicize as 10mbps 🙁it should be like 1mbps unlimited for 500-600p.m. and 10K unlimited for 2.5-3K per month

There's nothing wrong with removing the limitation of bandwidth from the equation when it comes to things you want to do online. Whether 100mbit/s or 1000 it doesn't matter - the whole point is to allow you to do more. Your downloads shouldn't affect your IPTV or perhaps you should be able to watch Youtube HD while downloads are going, or download while gaming without your ping times going to hell.

Nah.

Its too much, if the speed is 1mbps, then how can they publicize as 10mbps 🙁

it should be like 1mbps unlimited for 500-600p.m. and 10K unlimited for 2.5-3K per month

I can "should be" anything you like - suggestions can be made until the cows come home - but there are realities to face when it comes down to cost/profit and what is actual fair usage as well.

Unlimited is a bad model for ISPs - can you imagine if you got unlimited power, water or telephone usage? We all know how well the power/water/phone companies are working now - imagine what the service would be like if they gave unlimited without restrictions? People could leave the A/C on when they're not at home, the taps running for no good reason and just call up timbuktu for the hell of it.

I'm not saying people would necessarily do that, but wastage increases a lot more when you get "unlimited" of something.

As I've mentioned - as a consumer, I hate the FUP. As a business, I see it as a necessary evil, but only if the FUP is indeed fair to the consumer.

I had a similar refrain when some got a 128 kbps speed from the cable wallah connection 🙂 after they migrated from dial up.
Can you tell us what part of the computer gets 'killed'? :scared::aglerks::iomg:

I also think the minimum speed thing is silly, and that the definition should be re-worded in such a way that it encourages providers to give good speeds. Perhaps it should address the FUP as well, and say that speeds "post-FUP" should not be less than 512 or something.

If the existing 95% BB providers at the moment had the same way of thinking as what is your approach towards BB, then I guess hardly anyone would have been bothered about what BB definition is or not ! But the majority of mentality here is why the hell a customer need anything above 256/512 kbps. Most of the biggies are finding ways to exploit the current 256 kbps definition to their advantage by applying FUP of 8-10-25 Gb etc. of 2/4 mbps plans. Even that was not enough throttling torrents & even some major filehost traffic are becoming common tactics even on those tiny 15-20 Gb limits.

Now even MTNL is also heading towards the same & that too on a fibre Optic network capable of 10 Gbps.

And i have full faith that even if the govt. somehow able to build & provide Open access fibre in the country these looters will again run 128/256/512kbps plan on that fibre too. which will be more of a injustice to such a brilliant technolgy.

I had a similar refrain when some got a 128 kbps speed from the cable wallah connection 🙂 after they migrated from dial up.
Can you tell us what part of the computer gets 'killed'? :scared::aglerks::iomg:

I have seen Bittorrent kill hard drives on more than one occasion (just consumer rated ones, and I think mostly in laptops) - constant writing of small bits of information here and there shortens the lifespan (that's why I turn the caching way up).

If the existing 95% BB providers at the moment had the same way of thinking as what is your approach towards BB, then I guess hardly anyone would have been bothered about what BB definition is or not ! But the majority of mentality here is why the hell a customer need anything above 256/512 kbps. Most of the biggies are finding ways to exploit the current 256 kbps definition to their advantage by applying FUP of 8-10-25 Gb etc. of 2/4 mbps plans. Even that was not enough throttling torrents & even some major filehost traffic are becoming common tactics even on those tiny 15-20 Gb limits.

I've noticed that trend too, yes. There's nothing wrong with the FUP per-se, it's just that it should be fair as per the price paid. Australia's FUP is good - post FUP, the speeds are unfortunately quite shit (64 or 256k) but while it's running at full speed, the data caps are anything from 10 to 1000GB depending on what you pay - said caps are better in Australia even compared to the US for approximately the same price.

Now even MTNL is also heading towards the same & that too on a fibre Optic network capable of 10 Gbps.

And i have full faith that even if the govt. somehow able to build & provide Open access fibre in the country these looters will again run 128/256/512kbps plan on that fibre too. which will be more of a injustice to such a brilliant technolgy.

Unfortunately it's looking that way. The government should just give me the nationwide broadband network project 😀

I have seen Bittorrent kill hard drives on more than one occasion (just consumer rated ones, and I think mostly in laptops) - constant writing of small bits of information here and there shortens the lifespan (that's why I turn the caching way up).

Thanks 🙂