• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 2,472

leo9

Selective Citizen
ISP
Airtel broadband
Hi,

Something strange happened last week; no not strange, normal. My connection went phut..no DSL.

Lodged a complaint with MTNL; yesterday the connection appeared to become active. However, noticed 2 things; from a 2Mbps connection it displayed a downstream rate of 544 kbps and my internet connection would not work. Checked logs; seemed like an authentication problem. Called back MTNL; who said they would send someone the next day. Restored my earlier cfg backup still no joy.

Today 2 different guys landed up; one insisting that my password was the CA number; whereas I had already changed that and it was running for the last 6 years. The other guy then did something with the modem; apparently changed the password and the connection now worked. I had suspected this earlier and had tried to login to my account using my CA number but it did not show anything. Now, I am able to login to my account using my CA number and lo and behold; it shows today's date as the account activation date. Even the usage info page interface has changed. The plan assigned to me was a 256 kbps one and not the one I pay for.

I then called up the area manager; who admitted that they had shifted buildings and onto new Alcatel hardware and they have messed up big. Data migration apparently was a disaster.

This problem could be localized or could affect all Delhi users; suspect the first case.

So if any of you guys face this issue; wherein you have changed your password from CA; then try putting in the CA number as the password. But I guess even that may not work; as the account too needs activation. so if your DSL light is on; and internet does not connect; password may be an option. And do check the plan that has been assigned.

Cheers...

---------- Post added at 07:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

Dang..used to have a static IP, now been replaced with a dynamic IP in a new range...long night ahead..need to now use dyndns till the time I get a static ip....

cheers

may be they r experimenting on delhi now. Soon delhi guys will get fun sundays and then some more bandwith in night time... phheww.. O can be a good astrologer !!

hope so, could use the xtra bandwidth and time; I have a 12 midnight to 8.00 am unlimited plan, which just means some sleepless nights. the mumbai 10:00 to 8.00 and sunday plans look nice.i am worried about the experimenting tho; the guys from mtnl are the old pstn guys; trained and retrained but still stubborn. they come in and see a router not from them; they split a vein...have to handhold them thru stuff. Now they are getting a bit smarter; the guy who came in today had his own laptop and a spare router; probably one they know how to setup and use...

Update..got in touch with the DEADSL at MTNL and he came thru tho not all problems resolved. The following has been re-instated, I am on my regular package and my static IP is back; not my old one tho. My speed still remains 544 kbps; need it to be back to 2 Mbps..no response on that till now.I noticed a strange thing; when I set my modem DSL modulation at multimode; it connects at 562 Kbps (uses ADSL2+ AnnexM); but when I set it to G.dmt; it connects at a downstream rate og 544 kbps; where does this extra 18 kbps come from?Cheers..