MTNL Delhi MTNL Delhi updates its pre-FUP speeds to 8mbps minimum for all plans

Well, I guess what I'm asking is what's the point of going to 6 or 8 if I'm not even getting 4 at this data rate? I'm not even getting 3, it's 2.3 mbps tops. Unless they've throttled it in some other way this has to be attributed to the physical distance of the copper wires. The connection is more or less stable but I did notice sometimes it was taking time to connect, and the fact that attenuation went up from 42 to 50 is another indication that connection quality is moving in the wrong direction.

What modulation you use......

I have had tried G.DMT with some good experience (more stable) when line stats were bad.... my adsl stats below
-- dead tinypic image removed --

Well, I guess what I'm asking is what's the point of going to 6 or 8 if I'm not even getting 4 at this data rate? I'm not even getting 3, it's 2.3 mbps tops. Unless they've throttled it in some other way this has to be attributed to the physical distance of the copper wires. The connection is more or less stable but I did notice sometimes it was taking time to connect, and the fact that attenuation went up from 42 to 50 is another indication that connection quality is moving in the wrong direction.

Indian DSL ISPs cap user speed by applying it to the user ID and not the sync rate. That is why after you finish your data quota (FUP), even though the sync rate remain the same, you speed gets reduced.

In your case the sync rate was increased, but, your user ID is still capped to the old speed. You way want to have them look into that.

Last edited:
@Karan, what a bunch of! Making me put in all this effort...
I suppose I will have to call again and let them know.
Thanks for telling me this.

yes... I think you are using ADSL 2+ i.e. G992.5 AnnexM..

Try using G.DMT AnnexA

@Karan, what a bunch of! Making me put in all this effort...
I suppose I will have to call again and let them know.
Thanks for telling me this.

Yeah, it seems to be a recurring trend with MTNL and BSNL, whenever a customer upgrades their plan, they seem to change the sync rate and forget the user ID.

yes... I think you are using ADSL 2+ i.e. G992.5 AnnexM..

Try using G.DMT AnnexA

How do I do that?

Yeah, it seems to be a recurring trend with MTNL and BSNL, whenever a customer upgrades their plan, they seem to change the sync rate and forget the user ID.

Really frustrating from a consumer point of view. I have to go through the trouble of investigating the issue at every step. I would never run a business in such a manner.

@ijsa, I found the settings.

6WqOG7m.jpg

Am I supposed to just uncheck ADSL 2+ or all except G.Dmt?

You would need to uncheck all but G.DMT. As it stands right now, it will always default to ADSL2+. Be advised, if MTNL has setup ADSL2+ as the only modulation allowed and you choose G.DMT only, the modem will not sync, just in case you start wondering why it isn't connecting.

Also on that page, unckeck both Annex L and M options as well.

If it does sync with G.DMT, post the numbers on here, would like to see how much of a change there is.

@ijsa
Am I supposed to just uncheck ADSL 2+ or all except G.Dmt?

Yes... do as told by @Karan .... only G.DMT with Annex A..... that will be unchecking Annex L & M....

If the settings don't work out for you... revert to old settings.....

As per my experience G.DMT is good for unstable lines with bad ADSL stats..... if you find it stable.... check the Max, Rate supported in your ADSL stats..... if it shows better than 4Mbps.... you can revert back to MTNL CC accordingly......

And G.DMT modulation does work fine on MTNL.... I have had used on 2 different exchanges.... using on 1 still.....

@Karan @ijsa

So, the ADSL Diagnostics test failed but the internet is still working and the speed is the same as it was.

ywxhuGk.jpg

uX27pUj.jpg

YP9ktVU.jpg

So no change except the failure of the test.

Should I revert back? G.DMT doesn't seem to be causing any problems so why is the test failing? OnePlus point I noticed is that the wifi is connecting more quickly and smoothly after a reboot (from the router page) than earlier.

Hmmm... ADSL diagnostics should not fail, especially if you have sync. It would normally give that error when you don't have sync. Check again and see if it shows anything now or not?

As for the wifi, there isn't any link between the modulation and the wifi, they are completely different. unless the modem is under load trying to sync using ADSL2+ and suffers less load for G.DMT, allowing it to multi-task better. Shouldn't ideally be that way, but you never know. 😛

No harm in continuing if the line is more stable, but I can only tell that with the attenuation and SNR. Lets wait and see.

Still nothing. I'll keep this for the time being. Very strange indeed because it keeps us in the dark. Are there third party software's that can also conduct an ADSL diagnostics test?