MTNL Delhi MTNL Delhi updates its pre-FUP speeds to 8mbps minimum for all plans

:emoji_thumbsup:

My nearest exchange said technically its not fissible for them to provide 8 Mbps speed , so stuck at 4 mpbs .. hence moved to new local broadband and downgraded MTNL plan for backup purpose

tictactoe, why can't I quote your post?

Anyway, came here to say the same thing. I'm with the Hauz Khas exchange. Apparently only connections within 1.5 KM are able to receive the "upto 8 MBPS" speeds, which is ridiculous!

I'm on the 2 MBPS plan and I don't even know which plan to upgrade to. How much are you paying for 4 MBPS? And what's the new broadband that you've gotten?

You can't quote his post as it was at the time the last reply in this thread. It is implied that you are either replying to the last post or in general context of the topic, if you don't quote someone specific. 🙂

tictactoe, why can't I quote your post?

Anyway, came here to say the same thing. I'm with the Hauz Khas exchange. Apparently only connections within 1.5 KM are able to receive the "upto 8 MBPS" speeds, which is ridiculous!

I'm on the 2 MBPS plan and I don't even know which plan to upgrade to. How much are you paying for 4 MBPS? And what's the new broadband that you've gotten?

Not that it isn't true but there are some misconceptions along the way for most. Easiest way to explain is, from exchange to you the speed kinda drops off as it travels the distance. So for 1-2km you can easily get 4-6mbps if you have good stable connection. For anything above that its really where ADSL2+ is the blame more than anything. So to compensate with the loss in speed with distance they need to provide higher data rate than the actual speed which makes it difficult at certain point when the distance is far too much as too much data rate/higher bandwidth would just make your connection very unstable. They can only give you the data rate to a point where you don't keep disconnecting.

But the distance between exchange to you isn't really the road distance per se. Also take in account how many places it has been joined to reach you which causes connection instability.

Distance from Exchange to you (the MTNL box in your building) could be less than the road distance as the underground wiring by MTNL is quite an old good underground infra and city around us has developed differently.

So if your present 2mbps connection is stable, just upgrade to higher speed this month and see how it is. As I said before higher data rate would be provided to you to bring you close to speed you pay for.
For my 10mbps plan, my data rate is between 11-11.5mbps. This gives me speed between 9.5-10mbps.

You can't quote his post as it was at the time the last reply in this thread. It is implied that you are either replying to the last post or in general context of the topic, if you don't quote someone specific. 🙂

Thanks, I suppose that's why we can't quote the first post as well? Interesting feature that I haven't seen elsewhere.

Not that it isn't true but there are some misconceptions along the way for most. Easiest way to explain is, from exchange to you the speed kinda drops off as it travels the distance. So for 1-2km you can easily get 4-6mbps if you have good stable connection. For anything above that its really where ADSL2+ is the blame more than anything. So to compensate with the loss in speed with distance they need to provide higher data rate than the actual speed which makes it difficult at certain point when the distance is far too much as too much data rate/higher bandwidth would just make your connection very unstable. They can only give you the data rate to a point where you don't keep disconnecting.

But the distance between exchange to you isn't really the road distance per se. Also take in account how many places it has been joined to reach you which causes connection instability.

Distance from Exchange to you (the MTNL box in your building) could be less than the road distance as the underground wiring by MTNL is quite an old good underground infra and city around us has developed differently.

So if your present 2mbps connection is stable, just upgrade to higher speed this month and see how it is. As I said before higher data rate would be provided to you to bring you close to speed you pay for.
For my 10mbps plan, my data rate is between 11-11.5mbps. This gives me speed between 9.5-10mbps.

Thanks, that was really informative. I don't fully understand why a higher data rate would lead to more instability but I'll accept it. The issue I'm facing is that I'm on a Rs. 999/- plan @ 2 MBPS, and because all the plans in Tri - Band are now, on paper, upto 8 MBPS, I was told by Customer Care the actual 4 MBPS plan is for like Rs. 3K something (don't remember the exact figure). That's too much of an increment in cost and not enough in speed for me to accept. 😡

I also managed to speak to some higher ups, and they admitted that this is the best speed my area can receive, and that they're in the process of upgrading to fiber, but who knows how long that'll take.

How much is your 10 MBPS plan?

I think there is someone in the area that has leased from Airtel and is offering 10 MBPS for like Rs. 2,000, no FUP. It makes sense to opt for that. It's just that Airtel, itself, is not far from launching and their "up to 40 MBPS" offer for around Rs. 1K sounds super tempting, which is why I'd rather wait. If I didn't have to keep shelling out for installation, I'd probably have five different ISP's by now. 😛

Thanks, I suppose that's why we can't quote the first post as well? Interesting feature that I haven't seen elsewhere.
Yes, the first post also referred to as the OP is what this entire topic or thread is all about, so again it is implied.

Thanks, that was really informative. I don't fully understand why a higher data rate would lead to more instability but I'll accept it. The issue I'm facing is that I'm on a Rs. 999/- plan @ 2 MBPS, and because all the plans in Tri - Band are now, on paper, upto 8 MBPS, I was told by Customer Care the actual 4 MBPS plan is for like Rs. 3K something (don't remember the exact figure). That's too much of an increment in cost and not enough in speed for me to accept. 😡

I also managed to speak to some higher ups, and they admitted that this is the best speed my area can receive, and that they're in the process of upgrading to fiber, but who knows how long that'll take.

How much is your 10 MBPS plan?

I think there is someone in the area that has leased from Airtel and is offering 10 MBPS for like Rs. 2,000, no FUP. It makes sense to opt for that. It's just that Airtel, itself, is not far from launching and their "up to 40 MBPS" offer for around Rs. 1K sounds super tempting, which is why I'd rather wait. If I didn't have to keep shelling out for installation, I'd probably have five different ISP's by now. 😛
I am from Mumbai, so our plans don't match up.
Anyway now you are on 2mbps plan at 999 so why not switch to the 999 plan which is upto 8mbps? You will get the maximum possible speed and will test your connection strength without paying anything extra.

yes ditto, was facing same issue of unstable connection but stabilized now, but lame mtnl infra cant even handle small 8mbps speeds, they should increase it to 4mbps after fup for plans more than 1k. They are still very expensive.

I am from Mumbai, so our plans don't match up.
Anyway now you are on 2mbps plan at 999 so why not switch to the 999 plan which is upto 8mbps? You will get the maximum possible speed and will test your connection strength without paying anything extra.

That's the problem, even my plan has been upgraded to upto 8 MBPS, on paper, but my speed hasn't increased. On a good day I've seen download speeds of about 220 KB/s but that's as high as it goes. Because the upto 8 Mbps is contractually anywhere between 2 - 8, and I'm at the bottom end of that range. 😡

yes ditto, was facing same issue of unstable connection but stabilized now, but lame mtnl infra cant even handle small 8mbps speeds, they should increase it to 4mbps after fup for plans more than 1k. They are still very expensive.

exactly, at this stage I'll be happy even to get like 300 KB/s d/l.