• Thread starter Thread starter genexed
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 47
  • Views Views 8,703

genexed

Regulars
ISP
MTNL 512 combo unlm + TATA 1 Mbps UNLM
Connection is down everyday around 4pm for 3-4 hrs, this is driving me crazy. I didnt get any downtime in last 6 months and may be MTNL is making up for that, when server is down u can open only few sites like orkut, mtnl and just few more. I had to use a proxy server today to open all sites but because of proxy, speed was too slow. this really sucks!! I called up cc today and they said there is problem with numbers starting with 266 and 269. By the way anyone knows how can this be done : when my connection goes down and if i can still ping any proxy servers, I configure the internet explorer to add the proxy server and net starts working fine., little slow but works. Now i have 2 pc connected through my server using Windows ICS. I also need to configure the internet explorer of those pc for net to work, is there a way I can do something on the server or router itself so i'll not need to configure other pcs for proxy ?

if CC are sayin - the prob with 266... then it is exchange specific...i didn't have any prob for the last many months...

since yesterday I am also facing the same kind of Problem my exchange is 295 Does anybody Know by when it will get fixed

295 u mean 265 right?I can't understand what but they have surely made some changes for us, I use to ping my dns with 40 sec delay, now its around 180 and few of the US hosted sites are pinging much better. Just feel like its not the same connection.Ashish...ping 203.122.63.152 and tell me the time.Another thing is timing, why its mostly down around 4?@Sherkhan I asked the cc guy when it will get fixed, he said "humko kaya malum, bataya gaya tha yeh number down to Bata diya" as if he did a big favour for me.

After little search I found this

2651, 2652, 2653, 2656, 2658, 2667, 2668, 2685, 2686, 2696, 2669, 2952, 2953, 2955, 2956, 2664, 2954, 2658-1/2, 2658-8
Hauz Khas
Sh Bikram Singh
amhk@bol.net.in

So its the HAUZ KHAS exchange having problem, if it goes down one more time, i'll go there and find out wtf is up.

yep... its ****in annoying.. only sites that are hosted in india(or near) are accessible... im in hauz khas... one of the customer care told me: sir pls restart ur comp, unplug all wires...and plug the wires while ur comp is restarting...and i was rofl.

Hmm, you people are suffering because MTNL's DNS servers seem to be going down, or you aren't being assigned a DNS sometimes. This is a server misconfiguration on their side, and it does not really affect your internet access. Just use a different DNS server!

Details - OpenDNS
The above instructions are for WinXP, you can find more details for other OSes on that site. Go to its home page for any clarifications you want.

Please post back in this topic with a reply, to let me know whether it worked or not. HTH

Hmm, you people are suffering because MTNL's DNS servers seem to be going down, or you aren't being assigned a DNS sometimes. This is a server misconfiguration on their side, and it does not really affect your internet access. Just use a different DNS server!

Details - OpenDNS
The above instructions are for WinXP, you can find more details for other OSes on that site. Go to its home page for any clarifications you want.

Please post back in this topic with a reply, to let me know whether it worked or not. HTH

haha too funny, I dont use mtnl dns server at all!!!! and as I said using a proxy fixed the problem (without changing dns) so obviously wasnt dns problem.

using proxy doesnt use DNS hence u dont have to change DNS. but yes as prathapml said it looks DNS problem.

No its not merely a DNS prob..wen u directly ping the IP address DNS has no role..besides the connectivity is generally slow in the afternoons..Shi**y VSNL routers are most of the times dropping packets

ITS NOT A DNS PROBLEM, WHEN U PING A SITE IT CAN RESOLVE THE SITE IN TO IP BUT CANT PING IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I also tried changing dns serves, didnt work!!! Sorry for yelling...lolsomething weird happen, net was working fine.. I accidently disturbed the adapter and router got reset, on reconnect same problem it wont open most of the sites, tried changing dns servers but no use, then I played with router setting a little changed the mtu value to 1480 and rebooted, I could ping all sites now but couldnt open any of them, anyhow net started working after 1 hr on its own with default 1492. Not sure if its conincidence or what but a good idea to keep router on if its working fine.

i think this is exchange specific proble only... as i m not facing this kind of problem, i m just facing low speeds at some time of the day...

I'm routed through the hauz khas exchange as well and this problem's been bugging me for 2 days now. Surprisingly only few sites open and if you're lucky you might be able to conect to a particular site after a couple of reconnections. For ex. i finally managed to get through to link-removed after 3 reconnections.Its not a dns issue either since i've always been using opendns servers.Luckily my torrents downloaded just fine at the night although i still couldnt open most of the sites 🙂 Anybody using the hauz khas exchange been having really bad service (ie mostly my adsl line keeps dropping) in the recent months or is just me?