MTNL connection for VOIP Only

positivepause

ISP
Time Warner
Hi,

I live in boriwali(E) , kajupada area. I have inquired the broadband from Tata indicom and Airtel but both of them have told that my address is not under there service area so they declined the request.

Can anyone suggest a good plan for the VOIP connection so that I can talk to my brother in USA. He will be sending the Vonage kind of adapter which we need connect at our house. I will be leaving to bangalore and my parents will be the users. They don't want computers as it is too complicated for them. I hope u guys could understand.

Is there any plan in MTNL which comes under nominal price tag but good for VOIP only. no computer surfing as there is no computer..

Please share your valuable inputs.

Hi,

I live in boriwali(E) , kajupada area. I have inquired the broadband from Tata indicom and Airtel but both of them have told that my address is not under there service area so they declined the request.

Can anyone suggest a good plan for the VOIP connection so that I can talk to my brother in USA. He will be sending the Vonage kind of adapter which we need connect at our house. I will be leaving to bangalore and my parents will be the users. They don't want computers as it is too complicated for them. I hope u guys could understand.

Is there any plan in MTNL which comes under nominal price tag but good for VOIP only. no computer surfing as there is no computer..

Please share your valuable inputs.

Vonage and ReliableIP guys told that around 10MB per day if we do not use the phone , if used per housr 50-60MB will be consumed.Is it correct? In that case if we talk for 2-3 hours in a day then we require (10MB + 180MB) = 190 MB per day. In a month we need 5700 MB At least. So I am looking for the unlimited plan where I know at the month end before hand how much I need to pay. Please advice a good plan ( Airtel and Tata Guys have said no as they dont provide service to my area). I think there used to be ADSL feature where you need phone but the speed was 128KBPS to 256 KBPS. Is there any such scheme available in Airtel/Tata/MTNL which I can apply? Please share your valuable inputs.🙂

members/positivepause/
Welcome to broadbandforum.co.

Sorry. did not see your location . In Mumbai proper.there is no BSNL. Getting MTNL , seems there is waiting period of 6 months or more. Similar schemes are available with MTNL.
Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd- Latest News bare minimum. Rs 125/=
VOIP no telephone charges but internet usage counted either incoming or outgoing. ( not by mTNL)
Billing is done in U.S , or free calls. ( Vonage).
Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd.
Check Home 500C+ with 50 local calls free 2.5 GB. ( 0200-0800 IST free ).
Also Home 750 unlimited at 256Kbps. ( old Home 900)
If the ADSl modem is configured to connect to Internet , no problem using the Vonage unit. ( but you need computer to make the settings initially).
Working trouble free in my relative's house in Chennai.
Dataone + modem + vonage VOIP unit. for more than an year

If we use the Vonage it will consume the bandwidth ( Data) . How much one can talk with 1.5 GB per month internet plan??

Are these same scheme availabe for MTNL Also. I think in Mumbai you cannot have BSNL correct?
I could not see any such good scheme in MTNL.PLease guide me.

members/positivepause/
Welcome to broadbandforum.co.
Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd- Latest News bare minimum. Rs 125/=
VOIP no telephone charges but internet usage counted either incoming or outgoing.
Billing is done in U.S , or free calls. ( Vonage).
Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd.
Check Home 500C+ with 50 local calls free 2.5 GB. ( 0200-0800 IST free ).
Also Home 750 unlimited at 256Kbps. ( old Home 900)
If the ADSl modem is configured to connect to Internet , no problem using the Vonage unit. ( but you need computer to make the settings initially).
Working trouble free in my relative's house in Chennai.
Dataone + modem + vonage VOIP unit. for more than an year

@positivepause, the amount of bandwidth used depends on the codec that the VoIP adapter is using, i think vonage supports g729 which offers a good tradeoff between voice quality and bandwidth consumed so u shld select that codec in the adpater settings..if the adpater is configured to use 711 codec which is a high voice quality codec then u woud consume abt 37-40 Mb/hr whereas g.729 wud consume abt 13-14 Mb/hr ..

a 256kbps connection is good enough.. it will give crystal clear voice.If you are not sure about the codec and how much it uses or even how much you are going to use.You can take a basic plan for 1 or 2 months and observe your usage and accordingly choose an appropriate plan in the third month