• Thread starter Thread starter Ryan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 11
  • Views Views 5,090

Ryan

Regulars
ISP
Airtel
Do you think bsnl/mtnl will ever offer unlimited packages in the foreseeable future. I know it's a government venture, do you think they will be able to cover such vast areas with unlimited packages. I think once they start offering that, the number of subscribers will double.

Nope, I don't think they will introduce an unlimited package anytime soon, at least one that is reasonably priced (i.e. not more than Rs.2000 a month).The thing is that people do not know better and when they say "download limit" it confuses people, because some of them might think "Well, I don't download mp3s or movies or anything, so that doesn't really matter."It doesn't really matter if it's a PSU or a private venture, they both will probably find (cheap) unlimited packages unfeasible unless and until I think they block your ability to use p2p networks and gaming ports... and I am not sure of the legal consequences for that..........my 2 cents......

yup ppl confuse them with downloadin.if ya chat(voice) on yahoo then ur limit will burn down in 10 days and moreover, dont expect them to hav unlimited package's without any catch.

So unless major private ISPs launch unlimited packages at reasonable prices, these government organizations will not offer it. Ha. I guess this is india. When India starts to get 1mbps, then that would a time of celebration. 😀 ofcourse by that time, I will be in the US so no problem.

Yeah, though sometimes we tend to give too much credit to the private sector.... all said and done, they are there to make a profit.. and if they think they are going to make the maximum profit by keeping to Rs. 500/1GB-limit packages... you can bet your *ss that they are not going to come out with unlimited packages....

But the temptation would be there to make higher profits, so they'd have to corral more customers in 😉.

But more customers don't mean more profits necessarily. To take an extreme example, if you sold a 8Mbps unlimited package for Rs. 299/- a month with free installation, Hell, you would get a HUGE number of customers, but profits you are not going to make....On the other hand by deceiving (or rather "intentionally not informing") customers about data transfer limits, contention ratios, TRAIs definition of broadband etc. they can just get that boost to their number of customers without cutting away at their profits!

Not necessarily, you see in the business, if you lose in one area, you are bound to make up in another area. For example, they could provide services like VoIP or something like that and charge for it. Or, they just give like say a 1mbps connection for a reasonable price and unlimited package, but if the customer wants more speed, they'd have to pay more. They could make it up this way. Anyhow, I do see your point but ultimately businesses or governments know how to make up their losses. I'm sure the Indian government is probably one the elite for that 😉.

Hey, Exatt in Bombay offered 256kbps unlimited for Rs 800 per month a few months ago.. and a friend tells me they now offer 512k/1mbps unlimited during night plans...! (dunno cost)

www.exatt.net www.exatt.com (but no plans mentioned on the site now)

Sir, I m reading all discussions being posted here.I m guest.I want to know difference between unlimited internet access at cost Rs.700/- & Triband offer Rs.399 offered by MTNL.Will u pl let me know.Anand

Originally posted by ywnmmsb@Feb 6 2005, 06:39 PM
indian ISPs s*ck
whats the use of 1mbps when u can download just 1 gb a month
[snapback]5566[/snapback]
[/quote]
hello,
i dont think the dload speed shud hav any bearing on ur monthly dload capacity. IMHO🙂