MTNL Broadband VDSL2 User Experiences

• Thread starter Thread starter sanke1
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 343
  • Views Views 64,179
Hi,
I want to upgrade from 2mbps express combo plan to either VDSL combo 2350 plan or 8mbps ADSL2 combo 2350 plan.
What would you recommend as of today.
Also I see that VDSL is giving me 10mbps down / 5 mbps up and cost of 1000 INR one time
ADSL is giving me 8mbps down/ 2mbps up and a cost of either free or 4000 INR for a line bonding.
I'm about in the range of between 1 and 2 KM away from the MTNL phone exchange.
I need an upgrade for speed, but moreover I need rock solid stability, which is no disconnections and downtimes. Because I use my pc more for trading work and working from my remote VPS and Dedicated Servers via RDP.
Also I have a lot of clients who need remote assistance requests and need to upload documents and files frequently, Sometimes these remote sessions could last for 4 to 6 hours, so upload speed as well as no downtime is a necessity.
So if upgrading to VDSL or 8mb ADSL2 will cause any stability or connection problems. I'm ready to stay with my current 2mbps and be sad or happy with the speed i get. (1.6 to 1.8 mbps down and 0.40 mbps up, but stable)
Lastly, I also have the backup reliance netconnect+ wireless 3.1mbps up/down with 5GB fup, as a backup internet. Which I also use it's high upload speed to transfer data up quickly.
Please let me know about this as I'm planning to go to the exchange anytime this week and upgrade it from next month.
Best,
Nickd

if you are physically at >1km then you are better off with adsl. fwiw vdsl is rock stable(almost no downtime or line disconnection) but the signal degrades a lot beyond a km(of wiring) . for adsl ppl here are using TP-Link modems. check the adsl thread.

kickass said:
if you are physically at >1km then you are better off with adsl. fwiw vdsl is rock stable(almost no downtime or line disconnection) but the signal degrades a lot beyond a km(of wiring) . for adsl ppl here are using TP-Link modems. check the adsl thread.
Hi Kickass,
Thanks for you reply. From google maps it suggests by road from my residence to the telephone exchange is about 19 minutes of walking distance, that's about 1.5 KM. (By Road) I don't know if the cables are placed underground on the sides of the road, or I think that it is, obviously not under the buildings.
What would you suggest then I should go for in this case. VDSL2 or 8mb ADSL2 ?
If both are stable, I don't mind if i'm not getting the whole 10mbps/5mbps on VDSL or whole 8mbps/2mbps on ADSL.
I'll even be happy with a stable 5 to 6 MBPS/ 1 or 2 mbps ... still better than this 1.8mbps/0.40mbps
Regards,
Nickd

for 1.5 km on road the wiring is easily > 2.5km. don't bother with vdsl. adsl shud work decently though 🙂

i Want to migrate from ADSL 8 mbps to VDSL 10 mbps plan how can i do so any 1 plz rply ?
n what r the actuall rates of wireless cpe provided by them ? since adsl router dnt support the speed i think so ?

keep in mind vdsl is more sensitive to distance than adsl. you will probably have to go to the exchange in person and apply.

I am taking a guess that maybe it is because of the power outage that mumbai is facing right now because of that tata unit tripping .

Ya was down for 1 hour in the afternoon evening and came back. everything was connected including dsl sync, but no data coming for an hour.