MTNL Broadband Unlimited Plans with 2 Mbps speed on Sundays and Night

• Thread starter Thread starter shatrughan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 115
  • Views Views 32,063
I also switched over to Unlimited 888 plan and works awesome. I started a download at 9:55, when the speed was about 55 KB/sec, and was just keenly observing client. At 10:03, the speed rose to 202 KB/sec on its own, no restart, no hitch. Good start for this plan, hope it remains like this.

Lucky you

This has never happened to me. All downloads just hang at 10pm and 8am. There is no internet connectivity for a min at 22:00 till the router gets a new IP and reconnects at 2mbps.

Then there is a disconnection at 00:00, then at 06:00 and at 08:00 when the speed comes back to 1 mbps after 08:00. Then there is disconnection at 12:00 then 18:00 and finally at 22:00 and we are back in the cycle.

Pretty poor if you ask me or anyone else.

We cannot play multiplayer online as you never know when MTNL will disconnect you and give you a new IP. This has happened to me while playing COD BO on PSN a month ago till the time I gave up. You cannot do any online transaction/billing/trading at these times as loss of connectivity can mean huge monetary loss, or headache trying to explain billing authorities about the problem.

@sanke1: then that means we have to reboot the router at 10pm, just like i used to for my 849nu plan?also pls check my previous post on page# 9.thanx.

My pings were 15ms to Mumbai speedtest server for a week after changing to 1333 plan. There were no 6 hourly disconnections. But then I got a call saying your connection settings have been restored and my complaint was resolved. I never complained in first place. What happened was my pings jumped from15ms to 50ms. They put me back on old crappy network.They apparently have a new server which they connect to new customers.They put me on it by mistake and then switched me over.I never reboot. Router connects automagically after 1 min every time MTNL server kicks me out. I use JDownloader and that keeps on retrying the download till connectivity is obtained. It sometimes skips to next download link on disconnections. But then goes back to previous incomplete download. I avoid doing online banking/ card payments during above mentioned disconnection times.You don't fight MTNL (Not worth your time) You find a way around them and suck it up.Gotta live with them till Hayai or some decent options come up.My router is Netgear DGND3300. Very nice piece of hardware. Holds connection well.

@sanke 1, well I noticed, the transition is not that smooth, there is a disconnection at around 10:02 or so (depending on server time), and it does reconnect, though the time for this is not more than a minute or so, and then the speed increases. I guess, I must have missed this earlier.Apart from this the regular disconnects and reconnects of MTNL keep on happening, I have learnt to live with them

it disconnects exactly at 10...because i use NTP... so MTNL time is also accurate.it reconnects after abt 1 min.. because MTNL disconnects like few thousand connections (may be more) and then reconnects all of them again! so that process takes them some time.actually MTNL just disconnects.. reconnection is dependent on router/computer based on option "reconnect if disconnected"

hello ppl,i too jumped on the bandwagon just y'day. applied in the morning at the nearest MTNL exchange. was told you should expect activation by Mon/Tue, but saw that the plan changed from my earlier DSL Unltd 999 to DSL Unltd 1333 in the evening itself y'day ! but seeing fluctuation in speeds since then.till 2300 hrs y'day night it was nothing near 2 mbps. i then dozed off. checked today morning at ~ 0930 hrs, & the test-result was 1.83 mbps ! since sundays have to be 2 mbps days according to this plan, i thought it would be stable by now, but again its about 0.65 mbps. am i being too impatient, and should let speed-synchronization take a working day or two ? would someone like to share their experience in this regard ? waiting for replies...thanks !

Slow speeds have again started to haunt 🙁 When i need to get 2mbps on sundays, this is how mtnl is working as of now.

1. MTNL Website Speed Check

2. Speed Test Speed Chk.

3. Downloading Speed Chk

@krish_88: If you think that's bad see this :fear2::angry (2)::cursing::at-wits-end: https://www.speedtest.net

I had mentioned it in another post that those who don't take these sunday special plans will have to stop using MTNL on sundays, looks like that's coming true now 🙁

as soon as i posted my query above earlier in the day, i checked the speed on utorrent, and since that time i am steadily getting about 200 kB/s on utorrent, although still MTNL's speed-test & speedtest.net, both arent showing anything above 0.6 mbps :1huh (2)::Confuzzled:"Ye kya ho raha hai ?! :confuse:" (dhritaraashtra style in 'jaane bhi do yaaro')

^^ If you are getting full speed on utorrent then it means MTNL is throttling speedtest.net and and its own speedtest websites. This is indeed a very novel idea.Very evil thing for MTNL to do!

oh ok...and while doing this what must they be having in their mind, ie, 'purpose' of it all ?! even while surfing on my system one can easily tell its anything but 0.6 mbps, because the surfing-speeds are a notch better than what i get in the usual 0.93 mbps daily !

i have posted on the thread: https://broadband.forum/mtnl-broadband/70139-mtnl-mumbai-new-beta-site/
but i think this thread is more appropriate, so im posting it here too:
hi, since i have switched to the dsl_unlimited_888 plan from dsl 849nu plan, i have had frequent disconnections.
i switched plans on 31st may 2011.
i didnt change the wifi/adsl gateway (wag200g) and neither did i touch the configuration or telephone line.
but within 2 days of shifting to the unlimited_888 plan, i started facing these frequent disconnections.
what wud happen is both, the dsl light and the internet light, would go off and the dsl light wud power cycle back on and then the internet light wud remain steady red for 20secs and then turn green.
but after 2mins again both the lights would power cycle and repeat the process.
i contacted prabhadevi exchange and the madam said that she has tested the connection but nothing is wrong with it.
and if i continue to face the disconnections then to contact my local (Mazgaon) exchange.
ofcourse the prob persisted so i contacted the local exchange and they checked the telephone line.
they too ofcourse said nothing is wrong.
but now the method in which the disconnections occur has changed.
now the dsl light doesnt power cycle and remains green whereas the internet light turns red and after 1-2mins turns green.
and again within 5mins the internet light would turn red.
when i called both the exchanges, local and prabhadevi, they tell me that now the adsl/wifi router is faulty and to take it to my local exchange for checkup.
now im really weary to do this coz those babus might screw up my router too alongwith my net connection.
so what i wanted to ask u guys is....can the router all of a sudden become faulty when the probs started just 2 days after switching to the unlimited plan?
if its still the router, how can the behaviour of disconnections change just coz the local exchange have checked my telephone line?
if u guys still think that its the router then ill definitely take it to the local exchange this saturday or can someone tell me how i can confirm that its not the router or its the line or the way the prabhadevi exchange activated the unlimited plan?
thanx, in advance.