MTNL Broadband: Strange problem - No DNS for browser, Torrents working fine. Pls help!

• Thread starter Thread starter saadakhtar
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 4,752

saadakhtar

ISP
MTNL 512 unlimited
My MTNL connection is acting really strange for the last few weeks. Here's what happens:1 Connection does not drop (ADSL light stays on)2 But I cannot open any webpage in the browser (ANY browsers). It keeps saying "Looking for [site]" or "Locating [site]" then times out. 3 Meanwhile Torrents download fine. At full speed. 4 If I take out the power and put it back again, the modem might work for some time, that is, I can browse webpages and of course torrents still work. But after some time webpages stop being "found". I thought it's a DNS problem. I've tried changing the DNS at my computer (Tcp/ip setttings), then at MTNL modem level and also at the Wifi router level. None of this changed anything. Right now I'm using OpenDNS, but earlier I tried the other MTNL delhi DNS's I found on this site. None of them worked. I assume it's a DNS problem somehow because if it was noise etc, the torrents wont be downloading at max speed. (Note: It's not a case of torrent hogging all the bandwidth and browser timing out because of it. Even if I pause the torrent the webpages STILL don't open) 😡Here's my home network structureLine -> Splitter -> D-Link 502T -> Netgear Wifi -> Computer (wired to wifi router). Also, even if I connect the computer directly into the Dlink modem, the problem continues (so it's not the wifi). As you can imaging it's driving me nuts. It's as if the modem has the mind of a irritating 3 year old naughty child :wall:I can't really get any help from MTNL customer service because even if they pick up the phone (which they dont often), they are generally clueless and just note down the phone number and say it'll be fixed. Or they hang up! Any help anyone can provide here is appreciated. Do you think the Dlink modem is gone bad? Will replacing it help? Remember that torrents are working fine. Just webpages dont work after some time. Here's the status dump from the modem:---------------------------------------------------ADSL status shows the ADSL physical layer status. ADSL Firmware Version: 4.03.03.00 - 3.02.00.03 - 3.02.06.00 Annex A - 01.07.02 - 0.49 ADSL Software Version: V2.00B01T01.ML.20050530 Line State Connected Modulation Multi-mode Annex Mode ANNEX_A Max Tx Power -38 dBm/Hz Item Downstream Upstream Unit SNR Margin 31 12 dB Line Attenuation 23 14 dB Data Rate 571 511 kbps ---------------------------------------------------Thanks a lot in advance :wewin:

i got the same problem since 1 months ... 🙁 .. but m using Sterlite SAM300 AX

You might have defective router that you need to change. Call 1504 and report and speak with engineer or report to the mtnl office. If they ignore call 18001114000 for consumer forum.

---------- Post added at 03:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 AM ----------

speak with sanchar haat change the router.

Oh it's 3 months old, but still unexplained. For the record, the connection started working fine after 1 month. Everything is great now, and no drops in anything. Just like that. Another case for the X Files.

^ you had a problem 3 months ago because of which you were unable to browse. I didn't think this thread would have remained inactive all this time unless your problem was resolved.You say the problem doesn't exist anymore. So you can judge for yourself the value of the suggestion you have received after 3 months. enuf said.