MTNL Broadband: Sharing internet for 2 PCs - using DSL-502T Modem

• Thread starter Thread starter cimmind
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 5,955

cimmind

ISP
mtnl
Hi all. I am about to buy a new comp for my home. What would be the simplest way to share my MTNL broadband connection, so that both PCs may access it (simultaneously also sometimes). Do i need to get a LAN card in-built into my new comp? My earlier one does not have one.

Modem: DSL-502T Modem

Can either of these options work:
a) Connect old comp through USB port of modem and new one LAN card through ethernet port of the modem. Will this allow both PCs to access net together?
b) Buy a 'switch' as suggested in some earlier posts. Can it be used directly? And what exactly is it.
c) Use a 'USB-USB cable'Connecting Two PCs Using a USB-USB Cable | Hardware Secrets Is this available here, and how much does it cost.

Would appreciate your help in choosing a simple and cost effective option. Thanks.

I presume that both your computers are desktops. The best way to have connectivity on both or only on one, at any given time is to use your DSL 502T along with a hub (I am told it costs around Rs 500/-) and connect thru LAN cards to both your machines.

Hi, I am assuming you are buying a desktop. Most motherboards come with inbuilt LAN cards. Check this when you buy a new computer. If the configuration you choose does not come with an in built RJ45 (LAN) port than you buy a card for Rs 450/- (Realtek is most popular brand for lan cards). You D-Link 502T ADSL modem comes with a USB and LAN port. You can connect USB to PC#1 and Lan to PC#2. If new PC is away from the first one then connect PC#1 via USB as the wire length is limited. I tested a similar setup at my home and I was able to browse internet from both PCs. If you are buying a laptop then a laptop would come with a WIFI card. In that case you would need a Wireless class G router. It will come with 4 lan ports and wireless access port. You can reply to this post with your specific query and I shall guide you further. Thanks,Toyota!!!

Thank u both for the suggestions.
@Socrates
I bought the new desktop recently from nehru place. A Hub is for about 400, and a Switch for abt 500. People elsewhere have said that a Switch is better to go for than a Hub. Added will be two extra costs for me: a) LAN card for old desktop b) Cost of wire

@Toyota
U have caught my prob bang on. I will be more specific: Old comp is a desktop, with DSL502 Router placed near it. It does not have LAN card. Currently net connected thru a USB wire to the USB port of the Router. I have bought a new desktop, and it has a inbuilt LAN card.

The problem is that the new comp is placed abt 15-20 meters away from the old one. Can you guide me what further hardware i need to buy to enable net access on both.
- I understand that buying a LAN card for the older one is seemingly a must.
- If i go for a LAN card (for old comp) + a Switch from nehru place, it means an investment of abt 800, including installing cost. Will i be able to get a ethernet wire that is of the required length?

Regarding your reply to my option (a), can you confirm that this may work. Because someone else said that the usb and the ethernet port of the Router cannot be active at the same time.

Is it of any use to approach MTNL? Is the DSL502 router standard, or can i request them for a router with more than one LAN ports (and buy a LAN card for old comp+ wire)

Thanks.

Edit:
Just read this article. Can this be done? i would save on buying the Switch.
Sharing an Internet connection

The only reason I did not suggest the USB option was because its been know to be problematic. Yes you can get a LAN wire of your reqd length with the connectors crimped at both ends (it might be cheaper if you have a friend in the h/w line who can do it for you or can lend you the crimper 😀)

Hi. Went to NP yesterday and got the hardware needed. Cost implication:LAN card (for old comp) + installation = 350Long ethernet wire + 1 meter wires x2 = 200RJsplitter = 20Installed the wires as: Modem wire goes into the one side socket of Splitter. Wires to the two comps go into the side-by-side sockets on other side of Splitter. Checked the connections, and fortunately got the net working on both computers independently! A problem i am facing is that as soon as i connect both the comps to the Splitter, the net stops working in either. As soon as i unplug any one comp's wire coming into the Splitter, the net on other one starts working. What do i need to configure to get the modem to be shared by both comps, and to avoid the nuisance of having to plug and unplug in socket by turns? While setting up, should i give the same IP to both comps or different ones? (Right now i have given diff IP to the new one). One detail i can add.. The working of internet on both my comps also seems dependent on the "DNS Client" service. Moment i turn on the service, ping STOPS going. And as soon as i turn off the service, ping starts working again. Thanks in advance.

Your DSL modem can assign only 1 IP at a time. You would need a hub or switch in order to connect.You have two options now.a) Connect DSL modem to your or old/new desktop using USB cable. And connect second desktop to the DSL modem using lan wire. I have checked this setup and it works fine. You need just the modem ON to use one of the desktops to connect internet.b) Buy a Netgear Wifi switch (WGR614) It comes with Wifi capability and 4 Lan ports. This would be best option to keep your h/w update with technology. It should not cost more than Rs 1650/-. You can disable Wifi if you don't want it. And enable it later when you have Wifi phone or wifi enabled laptop to share your internet.Thanks,Toyota!!!

Hi Toyota!Thanks, your first mentioned option works great! I had already been using it for the past week or so. I can confirm that both comps can use net simultaneously that way. The RJsplitter i bought went waste, but considering it was for hardly 20 bucks, and considering the petrol cost of a second trip to NP just in case i had needed it, it was ok to have bought it precautionarily!I dont remember, but i think i assigned a different IP address to the new comp. Had two questions if you dont mind.. 1> What are the electricity implications of keeping the DSL modem running throughout the day? I have disconnected it from the old comp's USB, and given it its own dedicated power plug point. But as i mentioned, its physically away from the other new comp. So, is it ok to keep the modem switched on for long periods of time, when the comps are not running? 2> The guy at Nehru place asked me if i want to connect the two comps or to connect comp-modem. I had read also that there is a difference between straight wire and cross-wire. (If i get it correct, the wire is the same, the difference is made when the guy crimps the ends). Is there any option for sharing data between the comps though the LAN? Right now i have to keep using pendrives as go-between. Will i have to buy an additional equal long LAN wire.

Hi,I am happy you are able to surf the net from both PC's now.To answer your questions...1) Your modem requires 9 - 12 volts current to run. I would suggest to switch it on only when there is a need.2) If you use a switch then the concept of straight / cross wire is applicable. Your DSL modem is a device to connect internet...so the answer is no...pen drive is the best option.Thanks,Toyota!!!!