MTNL Broadband Port Binding

• Thread starter Thread starter bwgadget
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 117
  • Views Views 27,246
i think its when you cannot using another user's ID and Password on your own telephone line...

I have been using mtnl triband (mumbai) for a long time.

But recently i changed my username and pass in the router settings with my friends user name and password.(thnks to him for sharing it with me as he has unlimited plan)

After doing so i was able to successfully connect and use my friends account through my phone line.

That means you can log into anybody's account using anybody's phone line.

Is the authentication so weak as i have only tried with one connection.
If it is so then i guess every one should change their password from the default customer account no because any body can get hold of your CA no through your telephone bills.

Pls comment on this or share if u have tried any such things.

:O Shows how seriously MTNL itself takes security, so we have to be doubly sure form our side. I hope you know that this sort of thing is illegal. If found out it could have serious implications for you & your family (I presume the tel. line in your house is in your parents name, same with your friend). Worst case scenario you could be thought to be a terrorist, no I am not trying to be funny.:readtherules:

I have been using mtnl triband (mumbai) for a long time.

But recently i changed my username and pass in the router settings ....

That means you can log into anybody's account using anybody's phone line.

Is the authentication so weak as i have only tried with one connection.

Pls comment on this or share if u have tried any such things.

There are some areas..some tel lines where port binding has not been enabled..yours is one such case..u will be able to use Username, pwd of subscribers whose accounts have not been port bound..

but who is using the line can still be identified..coz of the MAC ID data..

@socrates yes i know the consequences of using sombodys others account.
But as i have already mentioned my friend has no issues sharing the password with me..:wewin:

----------

@cyberwiz
Even some cable ISPs in mumbai have been providing authentication by checking
thier MAC ids.
why can Mtnl implement this ..?
Also MAC id can be hidden and changed using third party software.But it would be very difficult to get somebodys mac id.
What do u say???????

with MTNL if ur line is port bound u cannot get around it by changing MAC ID..cable ISP and ADSL mac binding are different ..and MTNL has implemented it on most lines here in delhi..maybe some are left..why? only MTNL can answer that..however i believe that u can get it enabled for ur line if u manage to put ur request through to the right person.

@socrates yes i know the consequences of using sombodys others account.
But as i have already mentioned my friend has no issues sharing the password with me..:wewin:

----------

@cyberwiz
Even some cable ISPs in mumbai have been providing authentication by checking
thier MAC ids.
why can Mtnl implement this ..?
Also MAC id can be hidden and changed using third party software.But it would be very difficult to get somebodys mac id.
What do u say???????

Hmmm. I don't think your friends consent or otherwise has any legal validity. If you read their rules it will be construed as a case of misuse. I think you are confusing it with 'my friend is not complaining so there is no problem' that is not true. You could use your friends broadband thru his tel line ie from his premises, but you cannot use his username & password from your tel line. If MTNL finds out you will have have a lot of uncomfortable questions to answers.

hey r u people jealous that i am enjoying a unlimited plan and paying for a 500 MB limited one.😉
Anyways i am not using anyones acc nwadys.
i was just astonished by such a low level of authentication provided my mtnl...

----------

hey any one of u know any good free software for getting n/w info and monitoring

----------

hey does the adsl signal decide the speed of your connection???
have asked this becoz even if there is no authentication through ppoe you can see the speed as DSL speed after logging into the router(D-Link glb 502 t)

its not a low level of authentication provided by MTNL..urs is a case of an oversight..thats not the case with all subscribers as most lines are port bound..they have spruced up their network and its pretty secure..n u cant monitor ADSL traffic the way u monitor traffic on a cable network..

(asking agian)hey does the adsl signal decide the speed of your connection???have asked this becoz even if there is no authentication through ppoe you can see the speed as DSL speed after logging into the router(D-Link glb 502 t)

yes and no..depending on ISP configuration...for BSNL/Airtel speed is software controlled...for MTNL, its controlled by the ADSL sync speed..

yes and no..depending on ISP configuration...for BSNL/Airtel speed is software controlled...for MTNL, its controlled by the ADSL sync speed..

Where is this software located?

Does this mean that you get different sync speed based on distance?

finally port binding got enabled on my connection too.
Hey, this happened only after i started using my friends userid and pass
How did MTNL come to know abt??? R they maintaining our MAC id also ?????