MTNL Broadband New Connection - New Modem and Router Needed Urgently

RG51

[OP]
Jun 14, 2014
I recently moved to Mumbai and am about to apply for a new broadband connection. I visited the MTNL office today and was told that I should go for the 2 Mbps unlimited xpress plan as per my requirement. They have also suggested that I get my own modem and router. So here's what I urgently need to know -

1. Since in my house there will be 8 to 10 devices being used simultaneously for broadband ( desktop, laptops and mobiles included), so I need a router. Which would be the best ROUTER ? I live in a flat of about 1200 sq. ft. area.
2. Please tell me the suitable MODEM that I should purchase. (At MTNL also they were almost insistent that I should purchase my own router and modem)
3. Lastly, should I purchase the modem and router as separate units or a combo unit. In either case, which one?

I am a novice regarding this and everything seems very confusing so please give me the specific name and model for the modem and router which I can purchase immediately. Price is not an issue but the product quality is very important to me.

Thank you.

rj27

Net Addict
Regulars
Nov 15, 2010
Near NCR
TP-LINK TD-W8968 ~ 1800rs is a good combo unit for reliability and performance.

But since you have 8-10 devices and might probably be interested in streaming/copying content from each other over lan, I would suggest getting seperate units with ~ 1000rs modem + a better feature packed router.

TP-LINK TD-8817 is a good budget modem ~ 950rs.

TP-LINK TL-WDR3600 N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router is a highly feature packed router retailing between 4-4.5k

Pros:-
1) Fast Atheros AR9344 (594mhz) processor.
2) High speeds over wifi 5ghz bands with less spectrum noise
3) Gigabit LAN ports
4) DD-WRT/ OPENWRT Support.
5) Dual USB for having modem,hdd, printers etc plugged in simultaneously.
6) Detachable antenna

P.S. - If Lan transfers are not a requirement then the combo unit would serve well enough.

Reactions: 2 people

heeemz

Jun 16, 2014
My guess is that most of your devices are going to be connected over wi fi. Dink 2750u or TP Link W8968 should be fine.

Reactions: 1 person

RG51

[OP]
Jun 14, 2014
Thank you so much for such a quick response... You solved my problem!