MTNL Broadband is injecting ads on your computer pretending it's a feature

Considering MTNL and BSNL are government services... Can I use RTI to ask them details of the noting sheets that decided on implementation of this mechanism? And the revenues generated through it?

Now, I am not getting these ads, do you think they might be still tampering with my data. And yes you can file an RTI. But the main problem here will be framing a right RTI question. They will decline the RTI application if we don't frame the RTI application correctly. It's a big problem.

the fact that this is an opt-out thing means that they are injecting third party codes in computers of lakhs of paying customers in mumbai and delhi. bsnl is doing that across the country. stop thinking of your own connection for a while. think of the actual scale on which these ads are being injected. and in some of the links highlighted by members here, the code has mentions of Abeer Media which I believe is the parent company of Adphonso which was the original company that developed this technology and was used by MTNL in Delhi. if the codes still have mentions of Abeer Media, it is likely that there is still a partnership going on and Abeer Media might even have access to all the tracking data that is collected by these ads. and people think google is evil.

This is a big problem. But whenever you file an RTI, you will have to file it in a very proper way so that they reply correctly or else they will get away .

I have some experience in writing RTIs. I am currently trying to get HUDA (development authority of my state) to remove all the unauthorized gates in my sector. Plus it's not like I only get a limited number of chances to ask for details through RTI. I can send them 100 and they would need to respond to those 100 RTIs.

Have sent an email asking them to clarify how MakeMyTrip ads constitute service alerts.

@Prathamesh

PGPortal gets it to the right people, quickly. Twitter support never delivered for me.

Recently they have improved the twitter support, before they didn't even care to reply. Hope this gets resolved soon, they are stealing a lot of data. I am with you Chromaniac

They did remove the ads when I asked them on twitter, now I don't get any ads.

There are so many twitter IDs of MTNL which one took action?

Btw I got 2 ads on my mobile (when proxy was off)

Last edited:
Here's to more disappointment.

czynaG8.jpg

This is the response MTNL has furnished through PG Portal regarding the ads.

'it is hereby conveyed that MTNL respects the online privacy of all its Broadband Subscribers and hereby confirms that no user personal data is collected or stored by MTNL. We have put your broadband number in "DND" and now onward you may not receive further pop-up ads / information messages from MTNL. The in-browser pop-up
ads are harmless and limited to a very few times per day per customer. MTNL also utilizes these pop-up ads
to communicate important information like providing alert when subscriber reaches 80% of his entitled BB
usage, new plans and schemes, etc. If a subscriber does not want to receive these pop-up ads / information
messages, he can communicate so to MTNL. On receiving such communication, MTNL will add the subscriber
BB Tel No. to the "Do not Disturb [DND] " database, after which the subscriber will not receive any further
pop-up ads / information messages from MTNL please'.