MTNL Broadband: Huge Discrepancy in Actual Usage & usage shown on MTNL Portal

• Thread starter Thread starter saumil
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 85
  • Views Views 24,797
I tried opening the links from this page and it works :ashamed:

yeah it is working now....... in the morning it wasn't...... thank you....

Will send them a mail......

Problem still persists but to a much smaller degree of error. Someone had called me from the exchange and promised to keep this complaint 'under observation'. But also said there is no problem at their end

Hi Guys,

I'd like to know if all of you are old users or the new @a alcatel users. Because I'm an @a user and the MTNL reports lesser usage than my DU meter. So if my Du meter for the day says 60MB, the MTNL site says only 24MB. Ofcourse I have downloaded ImglikOpera, NoScript and NoFlash for firefox. Oh and one more thing.

Please don't keep your modem in the pppoe mode as I can confirm that even without the computer it does some sort of data transfer, which I don't know. For eg. one day bet. 7:59 AM and 8:30 AM it transferred (downstream) 93MB, which meant I had 93MB lesser to use. Even router reboots after the night unlimited time is not enough.

After going bridge mode, my DU Meter got screwed up, but even after vigorous(trust me on this, sometime literally the whole day) browsing I hardly reach even 40MB (My self fixed daily limit, 849NU).

And ya, there's a new chinese MTNL(Huawei labelled, but actually it's chinese) router which has got a waaayy screwed up interface. I think that's the problem. (I'll try to compile photos and make a nice tutorial, time permitting).

Your observation that DU meter over reports has been my experience from Dec '05 (for MTNL) till this year. Now MTNL usage is ALWAYS more than my DU meter reading😡. There were also occasions in the past of sessions not being metered by MTNL, I think in trying to plug that deficiency they have screwed up their metering s/w. I use PPPoE :O

With PPPoE DU Meter is perfectly in sync with MTNL usage. It's the bridge mode thats where DU meter over reports

This is very funny.
See this link: Introduction

The FAQs on MTNL website are meant for their customer care executives for answering customer queries.

For example:
Question:Customer says that MTNL website is giving wrong data of usage ?
Answer: You can tell customer not to worry about the Balance MB figure if it is wrong. He will be charged as per his plan and free MBs. 😛

I can't stop laughing :dance:Actually I should be crying :ashamed:

^^^^^^^ lololol.....Now that you mentioned it, even I'm laughing like mad...:wall:😕Although I should technically be crying... 😱

Actually that answer is right. As bill is sent based on total used MBs and not on balance MBs. But that also means that, if balance MB is more and u use more thinking u have enough MBs, then in that case, u might feel that u r overcharged in bill.

Hi Guys,

I'd like to know if all of you are old users or the new @a alcatel users. Because I'm an @a user and the MTNL reports lesser usage than my DU meter. So if my Du meter for the day says 60MB, the MTNL site says only 24MB. Ofcourse I have downloaded ImglikOpera, NoScript and NoFlash for firefox. Oh and one more thing.

Hi,

I'm also on alcatel.... but i have noticed that MTNL sites always shows 5-10 MB download more than what is shown by my DU meter.........

Regards,

i am not sure if u r on bridged mode but if not then try using that. and note down bytes reported by connection properties just b4 disconnecting and verify.

I am on PPPoE right from time I started MTNL broadband. 🙂 Where do I find this 'Properties', in the task bar when I right click on the icon I see only packets sent & received?

yes may be there are some packet activity (flooding/attack) which gets dropped on router and hence DU meter doesnt notice.if u use bridged mode then may be u can detect those attacks and then we can try to figure out ways to stop it.