MTNL Broadband: How can i Use my Friend account??

• Thread starter Thread starter Nemesis87
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 68
  • Views Views 14,855
as per agreement sharing is allowed.. so its within 27.1

Please point to me in the agreement the paragraph where sharing is allowed.

Does MTNL give me service card??? no.. so how come 27.2 become applicable?? and even if its applicable... WHO told you that it is transferrable even to members of the house? this you assumed right? NON_TRANSFERABLE means non-transferable to ANYONE... did they say MEMBERS allowed?? so if connection is in ur dads name.. LEGALLY you cant use it. but dont tell me that household is IMPLIED.

A lot is implied under contract law, but one thing that is not it letting your neighbours piggyback on your connection.

Going back to the insurance issue, if that's all in your father's name, then if your computer gets stolen, then you'll be making the claim under his name, even if you paid for the device. But your neighbour couldn't claim for his under your father's name.

and i am not transferring anything to my friend... its still under my name and still in use by me. even mobile SIM cards are non-transferrable,... that doesnt mean i cant allow my friend to use my mobile and make calls...

You're assuming you have the right to do that. In reality, you don't.

mobile is mine.. broadband is mine

That is not entirely accurate - you rent the right to use a particular phone number and use of the providers network so long as you are alive and paying the bill. It's not YOURS.

mobile phone is under my name... broadband line is under my name... i.e. i have not tranferred it.

The physical device may be yours, but if your mobile phone and broadband line is under your name, then you are merely the one licensed to use the connection. MTNL or any ISP may revoke that license at any time without warning if they can come up with the right reasons.

my friend is making the call...my friend is sharing the connection (because MTNL said sharing is allowed)

Again, features list yes. Contract no.

its simple..nothing is violated.. OR tranferred to him.

You're assuming you have the right to allow someone outside of your household (designated address) to utilize a connection which is contracted to you. In reality, you don't. While IMO casual usage isn't worth worrying about, were you to set up a LAN cable between your two properties for the purpose of sharing, that *would* be worth worrying about.

prove me that i am re-selling it to my friend or getting commercial benefits and ISP will get the right to disconnect my connection.

I'm not saying that you are, but if MTNL decided to take the action of disconnecting you based on evidence that you had been sharing your connection with your neighbour, then they would be well within their rights and you would surely lose if you took them to court. In fact, I doubt any lawyer would even take the case.

sorry ..no more replies 🙂but i have nice idea... when i want to sell something.. i will say something in feature list which will be all over internet and in paper ads etc... but wont actually write on contract papers... that makes it perfectly legal to not provide that feature after promoting product based on that feature.oh what more,,, i even have valid case to put the buyer behind the bars... "ulta chor kotwal ko daate"

instead of seeing wikipedia.. can you please go and read actual dictionary meaning of LAN??

i hope dictionary meaning shud stand right?

Lan | Define Lan at Dictionary.com

1. a system for linking private telecommunications equipment, as in a building or cluster of buildings.
2. Computers. a system for linking a number of microcomputers, terminals, work stations, etc. with each other or with a mainframe computer in order to share data, printers, information, programs, disks, etc.; usually confined to one office or building.Compare network (def. 6).

where did LAN definition say.. household? or within house?

Like I said, I'm talking about a common definition. It doesn't talk specifically about households or not, but it also here doesn't say for the purpose of sharing Internet either, so strictly speaking we're both wrong here. Given the terminology, this appears outdated... but while we're at it, why don't we go all out?

define: Local Area Network - Google Search

Most of them talk about office buildings, schools and limited areas (such as the same floor or within the same actual office), but therein lies the fundamental difference also:

Each home in an apartment block is considered a separate entity and has it's own address, relative to the name of the society, street, suburb, PIN code etc.

If I send a letter to Mr Amish Blahblah, I should be expected to know he lives in Apartment #X, Such and such society, so-on-and-so-forth street, whereever, 400000, Mumbai. If I get one of those details wrong (even the Apartment #), then it's going to go to the wrong person and perhaps once or twice that wrong person may correctly redirect the letter to you, it's not a reliable way of sending you a letter!

On the other hand, a school or office block is many rooms sharing a single address and the entire school/office block becomes the entity, NOT the individual room that the guy may be working in, and so I don't usually have to mention specifically which room the letter has to go to in order to reach Mr Amish Blahblah (maybe a department name, but that's about it).

haha, we all end users shud be put behind the bars... because i dont have license.. and my friend just came yesterday at my house.. because he does not have internet....so i gave him my internet services to use.

Technically you don't have the right to do that, but this is also very different to laying a LAN cable to his house and letting him use the internet when he pleases - you're still in the confines of your own home.

---------- Post added at 01:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 PM ----------

sorry ..no more replies 🙂

but i have nice idea... when i want to sell something.. i will say something in feature list which will be all over internet and in paper ads etc... but wont actually write on contract papers... that makes it perfectly legal to not provide that feature after promoting product based on that feature.

oh what more,,, i even have valid case to put the buyer behind the bars... "ulta chor kotwal ko daate"

Mama mia.

SHARING IS ALLOWED. WE GET THAT, AND I AM NOT DISPUTING THAT. What I am disputing is to the extent that sharing is allowed UNDER LAW, which is basically to the entity with whom the contract was signed. Said contract involves ONLY YOUR HOUSEHOLD, NOT YOUR NEIGHBOURS HOUSEHOLD, and as such only members of your household under the terms of the contract are theoretically supposed to be using the connection. If that involves multiple computers, then this is indeed allowed and you are free to do that as much as you like.

But establishing a permanent link between you and your neighbour is forbidden by Indian law and by the contracts of every ISP in the country, whether mine or MTNL or Airtel or Tata or Reliance or Hathway or anyone else.

On the other hand, casual use by your neighbour is impossible to manage, so even if he comes to your house and uses your internet then while this is a grey area - nothing can realistically stop you from doing that, and I doubt that the authorities would mind.

lol when i was out of town my thread returned with so many replies 🙂----------If there is NO solution to the problem (of sharing account) ... then why are people discussing of the hypothetical circumstance.After we can share connection, we can judge about it's unlawful nature.

If there is NO solution to the problem (of sharing account) ... then why are people discussing of the hypothetical circumstance.
After we can share connection, we can judge about it's unlawful nature.

That is one way of looking at it. Another way is to look at whether it is legal or fair. If not then why look for a solution?
It is like looking for a solution to rob the neighbouring bank and figuring out later whether it is the right thing to do.

Well you are not selling it to a friend (officially!), u r just sharing it!

My query may be mildly appropriate to this thread.I have got 2 MTNL accounts on different plans and bound to different telephone numbers (obviously). I don't really use account # 1 as it is in a different location and only when I go there, I need to use it. So that free data usage goes waste every month (since I pay for it anyway). Since I'm a full-paying customer for both accounts, is there any way I can use it at my other location? I do know that MTNL will provide only to that address, nevertheless, has anyone tried it?Yes, I own both accounts and pay for them in full.Even if the above isn't possible, MTNL should probably have a facility where 2 accounts of the same owner can be bound to each other and used interchangeably. Pretty sure there are other complications to this that I may not know of.

Unlikely that they will do it.If that is allowed, this is what I would do.1) Take unlimited plan at location A (say 1mbps)2) Take LEAST COST PLAN at location B3) Always use username/password of account A at both places.In short enjoy 1mbps at both places at half rate.