MTNL Broadband: DSL Unlimited 599 or DSL NU 849 !

• Thread starter Thread starter scott274
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 27
  • Views Views 12,454
beware that 495 plan is just promotional offer as of now, so u wont be able to change back to it after the offer ends.
What do you mean? I am already on the plan so why should I change back to it?

Hey guys, Im in desperate need of help. You see, I am currently using Hathway Internet. The speed is 512 kbps (max is 60kbps when I download something).Now I want to switch to MTNL's 495 plan which gives 320kbps download. What would be the max download speed. Would it be 40 kbps (ie. 320/8 = 40)In that case, I guess its useless switching to MTNLI mostly download using torrent. If someone is using MTNL's 495 plan, please tell me what would be the max download speed.I need to decide soon as my hathway plan is about to finish and I have to renew it. If MTNL's 495 is fast, I'll swtich, or else I have no option and continue with hathway.Thank you very much.

32 KB/s is what i am getting on that plan. When on DSL, 30-40kbps go for PPPoE overhead and some TCPIP overhead.But 32KB/s is consistent.

Does it go beyond 30-40kbps, I've heard its much faster than 40 kbps. (even reaches 256kbps)So according to you, which is better, MTNL or Hathway?Thanks

I am saying 32KB/s = 256 kbps.MTNL is better than hathway overall.

I am saying 32KB/s = 256 kbps.
I dont understand, how is 32KB/s =256kbps
To tell you the truth, I don't understand
If it gives me a downloading speed of 256 kbps, I'll apply for a new connection tomorrow.
I have 512 kbps connection and it gives me max of 60 kbps (around 200 mb in an hour when I download using torrent)
How long would it take for MTNL's 495 plan to download 200mb (the kilobyte and kilobits seems to be a bit confusing)
Hope my questions aren't annoying, I have to decide soon
one more thing, the MTNL guy said I'll get a speed around 40kbps and therefore I was confused
If you don't mind, give me an example of its download speed, ie.,how long would it take to download 1GB?
Thank you very much for your efforts.

I am saying 32KB/s = 256 kbps.
I dont understand, how is 32KB/s =256kbps
To tell you the truth, I don't understand
If it gives me a downloading speed of 256 kbps, I'll apply for a new connection tomorrow.
I have 512 kbps connection and it gives me max of 60 kbps (around 200 mb in an hour when I download using torrent)
How long would it take for MTNL's 495 plan to download 200mb (the kilobyte and kilobits seems to be a bit confusing)
Hope my questions aren't annoying, I have to decide soon
one more thing, the MTNL guy said I'll get a speed around 40kbps and therefore I was confused
If you don't mind, give me an example of its download speed, ie.,how long would it take to download 1GB?
Thank you very much for your efforts.
simple
1KB=8Kb
32KB=256Kb
B=bytes, b =bits

For 1GB download it will take abt 9 hrs1GB = 1024*1024 KB / 32 KB/s = 32768 seconds ~ 9hrFor 200MB it will take abt 106 mins.

In that case, how is it better than my current connection, I can download 216 MB in 60 minsI thought MTNL would be fast, but it's almost half the speed I haveI have a plan for 6 months which gives me a speed of 512kbps and 7GB during day and night unlimited.It approximately comes to around Rs. 540/- per month.In case of MTNL, I am paying almost Rs. 500/- for almost the half speedI thought MTLN stated the real download speed even after dividing by 8 and all

He said "MTNL is better than hathway overall". He was not comparing MTNL's 495 plan with your current Hathway plan. Speed-wise your current plan is better than MTNL's 495 plan.

Just to remind you that MTNL's 495 plan is an unlimited plan so there's no worrying about crossing your download limit (if you are concerned about that).

Thanks guys, I guess I should stick to my current plan, my download is mostly done during nightI've downloaded around 70GB till nowbut for that I have to wake up late nightsbut the unlimited plans are half speed as a result of which the pc has to be turned on for double timeThanks a lot guys....

Yep I was not comparing two plans. If your hathway line is stable and u dont exceed the download limits then u shud stick to it.

I have the NU849 for my home... Coz no one uses it during the day and I game and surf till 4 in the morning so it suits me... D/L speed of 280 Kbps consistent... I think its a good option... But if you use it a lot during the day then ur phunked...