• Thread starter Thread starter boygr8
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 42
  • Views Views 41,898

boygr8

Regulars
ISP
MTNL Broadband
The MTNL's DNS are panifully slow. I read in some other thread about 4.2.2.1 It works but is also very slow.On Sify I never had DNS problem....Sify's DNS servers are very fast. I tried using Sify's DNS on MTNL but they dont work.Can those guys on MTNL tell me what DNS to use? They should be fast.

59.185.0.50203.94.227.70203.94.243.70these i use in orderall work

203.122.63.152, 203.122.63.154try these.also try out...202.56.215.6202.56.230.6

I am planning to do some R&D tonight. Do I add these DNS to the TCP/IP settings or add them to the router?As of right now my router obtains these DNSes automatically59.185.0.50203.94.243.70My LAN settings have these...203.94.227.70203.94.243.70

You can try using Tree Walk DNS (http://ntcanuck.com/)

With this you run your own server and do not depend on ISP's

Is does not require any config other then Setup.exe -> next-> next-> restart

😀 just remmeber to clean the dns cache once in a while on that application. pretty usable thing i would say.

i used opendns for MTNL connection, 'wolla' there is definately a quite visible improvement, but on airtel connection, no such improvement..........P.S. - the dns were set automatically before in both connection....if anybody finds better dns than opendns, do post.... please try opendns before....Also, i read about DNS at many places, n able to get my hand on it. Still i'm not clear, what can DNS do for the operators?? Are they tracking us using it ? Can this thing be changed using other DNS as OPENDNS????

NO tracking or anything done by it. DNS just resolves the website address into IP addresses ie if u type www.hotmail.com in ur web browser... ur comp needs the ipaddress associated with this web address ie 211.206.123.219 in order to connect to it, therefore it asks the DNS server for the IP address..problem is that some DNS servers like MTNL take a long time to provide the answer (ie the IP address) hence slowing down ur browsing...also sometimes with poor DNS's the answer never comes.

yup. and dns can also be used to block access to certain websites. opendns means freedom!

QUOTE(Sushubh @ Feb 3 2007, 08:14 PM) [snapback]78436[/snapback]
yup. and dns can also be used to block access to certain websites. opendns means freedom![/b]

Hi,
I was going thru the opendns site, I am confused as I am not sure whether I should use the 2 dns entries as given there or should I opt for the Dynamic DNS as as far as I know MTNL broadband allocates dynamic IP addresses, which should I choose

can some one plz post a pic or two of their tcp/ip properties (advance tab) for us to benefit! there are many options under the advanced tab. which all to check/uncheck etc. SS may help!