• Thread starter Thread starter kapil9211
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 12,645

kapil9211

Regular
ISP
Airtel 2mbps 5GB
Hi, I have got MTNL-Delhi Broadband connection recently. When the person came here to install the set-up, I was not in the town and rest of my family dont understand much of the intricassies related to computers. Well, now I have got one more desktop with me where I need to share my present broadband connection. Pl. suggest me the procedure to do it.Pl. note:> Modem: Sterlite SAX 300 AX> Model has got 4 LAN ports and one USB.Guy at MTNL CC said that its not possible until you have a hub. However, I dont believe this. If the above said is true, I dont really understand the logic of 4 LAN ports on modem then!! Sounds weird to me.Guys help me out.

Guy at MTNL CC said that its not possible until you have a hub.

That's nonsense. I have the same modem from MTNL and have desktops sharing the connection just fine. Just plug both of them in the LAN ports and you're good to go.

If it doesn't work, then try the following in the router configuration interface (normally http://192.168.1.1):

go to Status -> Device Info and note the Virtual Circuit ID (in the 'WAN' section). Let's say it is 'PVC2'. Now, go to Advanced Setup -> VLAN. Click on 'Assign VLAN PVID for each Interface'. Note the PVID assigned to ATM VC #2, say, 3. Make sure that all the Ethernet Port PVID assignments are also set to 3. Click on 'SAVE' and it should work.

Last edited by a moderator:
@svagyan
Thanks for ur prompt and well explained reply!!

I did as u said....and thought it will work....coz the steps seemed logical to me....

In my case the value for Virtual Circuit is PVC0.
Hence I went into Advanced Setup -> VLAN. Clicked 'Assign VLAN PVID for each Interface'.
Noted value of ATM VC #0. It was 1.
And hence i changed Ethernet Port PVID assignments to 1 for all of the ports including USB.

However, it didnt work :S

Earlier, before changing the values, only the LAN Port#4 had the value as 1 to which my old desktop is connected and on which the internet is working fine.
I am trying to connect my new desktop at LAN Port#3.
Kindly see what can be done. This is the only forum on which I can bank upon. Thanks.

What MTNL Delhi website says . hope this helps.
1. Please Note
In this Model Sign Writing of Ethernet /LAN port/LEDs has been wrongly done. Please read LAN4, LAN3, LAN2 & LAN1 as LAN1, LAN2 LAN3 & LAN4 . Therefore various services on different ports will be available /visible as given blow :

LAN1 Broadband Internet
LAN2 VoIP
LAN3 IPTV
LAN4 Broadband Internet

2. set your network connection properties IP address 192.168.1.5 and gateway 192.168.1.1 and if pinging is Reply from 192.168.1.1 gateway
Type http://192.168.1.1 on address bar of Internet Explorer.
In User Name type “admin” and password “admin “, click OK.
etc

@kapil9211Thanks. I think you can alsovote in the "SCALE" icon for me !( see my post left side )Of course, the satisfaction is more, becausethe problem appears to be unusual.

i just did, but i guess for the wrong post. I'll do it for the correct post now.

No problem. Kindly post screen shot (for SAM300) of the Device status page,to find out similarity with other modems normally in use.

I'm going to try sharing my connection with my laptop. I have the same modem so let's see if I can get things to work. If not, you'll see me back here 😛.

Hi essbebe,1. For what need these configurations are?2. I am unable to connect to yahoo messenger, however gtalk and rest browsing is working fine. I think if I use port forwarding, it shud work. Can u help in enabling that in my MTNL Delhi - Sterlite SAM 300AX modem.Thanks

I have tried all these settings on the Sterlite Sam 300 ADSL2 Modem, I could connect both computers as I could use skype. But I am not able to browse any sites using internet explorer. Do I need to do some additional settings?I was also not able to connect through USB. Can someone send me the step by step guide to do it please?Please revert.Thanks in Advance for all your help on this thead.