• Thread starter Thread starter Chinmay
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 19,957

Chinmay

Fivenet Lover
ISP
Fivenet+ Hathway
Hey, since last week I was unable to open broadbandforum.co and frequent disconnections, today I tried open DNS, it really worked for me, and surfing speed is much improved and all web pages r opening in the way they should open.

So my question is the magic done by opendns?
And what are the best dns servers for MTNL mumbai triband subscribers?

I used-
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/1718/dnsum5.jpg

Please post what DNS servers u r using? And how to check whether its fastest one?

i use opendns whenever i move around sites from one server to another. or am facing issues with connectivity. otherwise, i end up using 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/9513/pingyn2.jpg

is this d way to decide who'll be fastest, or any other source??

^^Thanks Sushubh, but are these servers located outside in india?
Do u know any DNS which is close to mumbai?? So that I'll end up in getting least ping time, because ping time in this DNS is >280msec, and does it make any difference to DL speed?

DNS are not going to affect your download speed much. they are used just once per session to get the IP of the domain you are trying to access. so if you surf around a lot, i guess the max you would save is a couple of seconds per day.

Another BUMP^^??

OMG someone stop me!:wall:

Sushubh is a Genius! Thanks for the Info!

But does not latency affect lot of softwares that use internet ?
MTNL DNS has the best latencies and with my Experience Airtel gives high pings!
High pings can affect gaming experience and also other stuff!

well its for Sushubh to comment!
He is always right!
XD

Later Dudes

Bump....Am not able to open some popular sites like makemytrip, thaiair etc. Can some1 help me please on how to convert to openDNS and what DNS to use ?

msn.commsn.co.inthaiair.commakemytrip.com are classic examples where mtnl servers dont work and the mtnl tech department tells me that its the respective website which is having problem.. 😛😛leasehelp:solution is use opendns and 4.2.2.1, 4.2.2.2, 4.2.2.3, 4.2.2.4, 4.2.2.5, 4.2.2.6

thanks ! gr8 tool it shows 208.67.220.220 & 208.67.222.222 as 2nd and third respectively156.154.70.1 is number 1 . let me try it !It tried 156.154.70.1 and its status shows it can resolve bad domain names! best is 208.67.220.220 the open dns !

There's also this:
Google Public DNS
- 12:08am
Google Public DNS is a free, global Domain Name System (DNS) resolution service, that you can use as an alternative to your current DNS provider.

Though I don't know whether it's best for Bombay or not.

This site is supposed to give a way to test what's best for you:
Google Public DNS vs OpenDNS vs Your ISP's DNS – measuring ...
- 29 Jan
It does it against Google Public DNS, OpenDNS, and (optionally) the DNS servers of your choosing. Since we're located in Portland, OR and have a Qwest ...

I haven't tried it (since I'm not technically competent).

What are the best options right now? Any thoughts guys?