• Thread starter Thread starter banda
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 51
  • Views Views 14,091

banda

~
ISP
mtnl-256kbps-unltd
i hav been using voip to call uk & us since a few months and was surprised how simple it was and how cheap!!!but since about a week ago i am unable to connect to any decent voip service ,in a straightforward manner, that is. otherwise i have now devised a method to be able to connect thru a number of proxy services. but the point of my posting this is that if voip 'has' now been legalized in India , (or so i heard or read in the papers) then why is mtnl still blocking port number 5060 which is essential for voip.if anybody has any info on this front then i would like to hear it . also i would like to know of any way by which i can somehow put in the mtnl customer care guy/auntie's head what a port is in the first place :huh: and mods how about a forum on voip in india??... there are a lot of people now who are using this technology. and anyways if you can have a forum about iptv which for me is yet to b launched in india( i booked in November, no word from mtnl yet.) then we can surely hav a forum on voip which is in use by many.i will be happy to contribute my bit by telling a few ways to call uk or us pstn phones for free from india.

have been using VoiP on MTNL for the past 2 yrs..never have they blocked any Port..i have my ATA workin on the same SIP port u have mentioned i.e 5060

QUOTE(cyberwiz @ Feb 26 2007, 07:39 PM) [snapback]81315[/snapback]
have been using VoiP on MTNL for the past 2 yrs..never have they blocked any Port..i have my ATA workin on the same SIP port u have mentioned i.e 5060[/b]

which voip provider are u using?. do they provide outbound proxy by default? if they do then that is the reason why you are able to connect.

also mtnl is not blocking inbound traffic on 5060 , only outbound.(so switching to bridge mode does not help as port forwarding is only for inbound)

many more established voip providers provide outbound proxy which makes it easier to bypass isp's efforts to block voip. but providing outbound proxy uses a great deal of bandwidth and a majority of lesser known (and far cheaper) voip providers can't afford that. so it puts people like me in a very bad situation.
i use net4india which charge re1/min for most destinations(they do provide outbound proxy hence , so far i have had no problems connecting to them). but the question remains if voip is now legal then whose idea is it to block the port that is necessary for it

i am still w8ing for a mod's reply regarding having a dedicated forum on voip.

even i'm not having any probs in my voip, till the last time i called (last friday, i guess)...and you're paying a lot to net4india...try VoipStunt or the sisters...enjoy! 😀

I am not using any Voip provider..i dont need to..was using sipgate earlier..currently i have direct dialling setup between 2 ATA's..doesnt net4india support other ports viz. 5062-5080..most providers do..

as i said i 'can' connect to net4india no problem at all as they giv an outbound proxy also (not sure weather they listen on other ports than 5060). but it is the other smaller voip providers i can't connect to. i have confirmed that mtnl 'is' blocking 5060 for outbound traffic from the admin of one such voip provider. and the people i call dont have ATAs on their end so i hav to call pstn nos.

No MTNL is not blocking outgoing or incoming traffic on 5060..i have just verfied this..i used software SIP phone to register on a number of providers viz sipphone, FWD on port 5060 , registration was successful

err .. fwd too has outbound proxy operating on port 5080 which then communicates with fwd server on 5060 and then communicates back to ur client either thru stun or ports 8000 or 8001(which r open on mtnl)
from fwd' website:
we have deployed a solution from DiTech Communications, formally Jasomi Networks, that helps FWD users traverse NATs and Firewalls[/b]

I am goin on port 5060 specifically..using packet analyser..its registering on sipgate as well..if the provider was using any other port i would know it..

Well voip is totally legal in India & don't blame Mtnl for it as we all are using nicely and finely not even a single port is blocked by mtnl becoz they don't how to block 😀Check your ATA adapter settings any networking configuration changed.Well i know many person using vonage on mtnl & yet to receive any complain form them.Which Vsp r u using , also network config ?? may be we cud help!!

i can register on all vsps providing an outbound proxy .. or which also listen on other ports than 5060. vonage and all the other big names have outbound proxies as their default settings. i m unable to register with voxalot.they recommend these settings ..# Username: # Auth User: # Password: # Domain/Realm: voxalot.com# SIP Proxy: us.voxalot.com no outbound proxy 😱 so if anyone is able to register wid them then please let me know ..

Currently working fine here on my softfone. But i do agree it was not working 2 days back i think it is a provider based problem not mtnl based.Free operators are like this only!! No uptime guarantee.

my x-lite cant register with them.. their outbound proxy is useless as it also listens on port 5060.r u in delhi or mumbai??

Well my X-pro is working fine listening to 5066 port. And i am in DelhiAlso using without a outbound proxy!!!