MTNL Mumbai MTNL and its issues

• Thread starter Thread starter Aayush_13
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 23
  • Views Views 7,420
ISP
MTNL Mumbai
So I live in Borivali East, Discovery Society to be more specific and on the 11th I decided to opt for the infamous 8mbps 1199 plan. On the first day after its activation, I saw my speed doubled to 2mbps and from then then onwards it downgraded back to 1mbps (still is). As of now, its worse than what I had before the speed bump with highly unstable internet :/

I called them to complain but like a typical government organization they just gave me a bunch of numbers to call and in short my problem still isn't fixed.

To add fuel to the fire, for some reason I cannot call MTNL exclusive numbers despite having their landline (1500,1504,12540) and I had to call them on their toll free numbers to explain my problem but to no avail. After doing some digging around, I found out that my society is more than 1 km away from the new exchange and the cables in my area are bad coupled with the info I gained from reading a few other threads regarding signal loss meant its theoretically impossible for me to attain such a speed over such a great distance(at least that's what I think)

I need a stable connection with a good FUP(unlimited if possible). High speed doesn't matter. A 2mbps plan would be more than sufficient and I'm ready to pay 1200/month, so here are my questions

1) Is it possible to tweak some settings from my side to achieve the desired result?
2) People living nearby, can you recommend a good alternative that can suffice my demands?

Here are my stats

Gateway:

SNR: 29.4 33.3 db
Line Attenuation: 33.5 21.8 db
Data Rate: 2048 509 kbps
Max Rate: 13988 2117 kbps
Power: 18.7 12.2 dbm
CRC: 0 0

Last edited:
I too stay in Borivli East.
If speed is not much of an issue and if you are looking for an unlimited plan, I suggest you go for the narrow band plan:
http://mtnlmumbai.in/index.php/narrow-band-plan

For namesake it is narrow band plan. But it will give you unlimited 1 Mbps from 7 AM to 7 PM and unlimited 1.5 Mbps from 7 PM to 7 AM (6:30 PM to 6:30 AM, to be precise).
Also, speed variation may depend on the distance from the exchange. But in my case, I stay near National Park and my Exchange is the Kandivali west one, which is more than 3 km from my house. But luckily, till date, I haven't faced issue of any speed drop. Maybe because I havent taken any high speed plans. I get constant speeds of 100 to 110 KB/sec during day time and constant speeds of 160 to 170 KB/sec after 7 PM.
Alternatively, if Airtel is available in your area, you can try that. Hathway also has 2 Mbps truly unlimited plan (without FUP) for Rs. 1200/- plus tax (They don't advertise it on their site, but I recently saw the pamphlet they were circulating locally and I enquired about it. It is definitely available in Borivli East). Of course, you can go for their 50 Mbps plans as well. The ones with FUP's. Post FUP, speed is 1 Mbps.

I too stay in Borivli East.
If speed is not much of an issue and if you are looking for an unlimited plan, I suggest you go for the narrow band plan:
http://mtnlmumbai.in/index.php/narrow-band-plan

For namesake it is narrow band plan. But it will give you unlimited 1 Mbps from 7 AM to 7 PM and unlimited 1.5 Mbps from 7 PM to 7 AM (6:30 PM to 6:30 AM, to be precise).
Also, speed variation may depend on the distance from the exchange. But in my case, I stay near National Park and my Exchange is the Kandivali west one, which is more than 3 km from my house. But luckily, till date, I haven't faced issue of any speed drop. Maybe because I havent taken any high speed plans. I get constant speeds of 100 to 110 KB/sec during day time and constant speeds of 160 to 170 KB/sec after 7 PM.
Alternatively, if Airtel is available in your area, you can try that. Hathway also has 2 Mbps truly unlimited plan (without FUP) for Rs. 1200/- plus tax (They don't advertise it on their site, but I recently saw the pamphlet they were circulating locally and I enquired about it. It is definitely available in Borivli East). Of course, you can go for their 50 Mbps plans as well. The ones with FUP's. Post FUP, speed is 1 Mbps.

What you said about Hathway is news to me :O If I can actually get 2mbps unlimited for 1.2k + taxes it'll probably be worth it. I had Hathway before I got MTNL. I switched because of their annoying login system... is it still there? I'll definitely check out Airtel and the narrow band plan (MTNL never actually had any disconnections). Thanks for your input also do you know anything about You broadband and their Holy Cow plan? Looks interesting.

Also, who is the local dealer/distributor for Hathway in Borivali East? I got my earlier connection from Sai Star Cable in Thakur Village.

Here are my stats

Gateway:

SNR: 29.4 33.3 db
Line Attenuation: 33.5 21.8 db
Data Rate: 2048 509 kbps
Max Rate: 13988 2117 kbps
Power: 18.7 12.2 dbm
CRC: 0 0

1. First things first, you need to call 12540 from your MTNL Landline and ask them to increase your line PROFILE to 8 Mbps or 9406 kbps as they are doing these days.
  2. In your ADSL Modem or Router, make sure that you have enabled ADSL 2+ Modulation called Annex-M. I have TP-Link TD8816 V8 and it is enabled by default.
  3. See here
    LQasFR9.png
  4. Your line statistics may just get you 8 Mbps but it will depend on how good your modem/router is at holding stable connection at higher sync rates or sync profiles.
  5. If all fails, downgrade back to 4 Mbps plan. It will surely work on your line.

1. First things first, you need to call 12540 from your MTNL Landline and ask them to increase your line PROFILE to 8 Mbps or 9406 kbps as they are doing these days.
  2. In your ADSL Modem or Router, make sure that you have enabled ADSL 2+ Modulation called Annex-M. I have TP-Link TD8816 V8 and it is enabled by default.
  3. See here
    LQasFR9.png
  4. Your line statistics may just get you 8 Mbps but it will depend on how good your modem/router is at holding stable connection at higher sync rates or sync profiles.
  5. If all fails, downgrade back to 4 Mbps plan. It will surely work on your line.
Thanks for your insight, but....
1. I CANNOT. Don't know why but I cannot dial 1500, 1504 or 12540 from my landline since the past 2 months. I called on 22221500 (which works fine BTW) and even registered a complaint thrice regarding that and it still isn't fixed. Do you know an alternate number for 12540? or an email address?
2. My router is the very same ADSL 2+ provided by MTNL, also the modulation and Annex mode are the same as yours (in the pic)
3. Honestly my patience is wearing thin... my preference is stability and a proper FUP (unlimited if possible) over high speed and lately MTNL has started being unstable and I don't know what to do :/

1. Please follow d5aqoep advice above. I believe, if your line settles down to 8 Mbps (instead of 2 Mbps which it is now), you may not want to switch to other provider
2. Since past few days, MTNL is a bit slow. These bouts happen on and off and I am sure it will be fine soon. I have never had problems with speed.
3. Hathway 2 Mbps plan is definitely there. You can check it out with Sai Star.
4. I am not too comfortable about other players like You and all. Don't have much idea. Of the ones available in our area (Borivli East), the ones I trust are MTNL, Hathway and Airtel.

One email id which has helped me in the past is wecare@mtnl.net.in
Try the numbers d5aqoep has mentioned above. If you cant get through, try this email and tell them their problem and to increase your porfile speed.
If all still doesnt work, just meet the DGM at your MTNL branch office. They usually help out in this situation

1. Please follow d5aqoep advice above. I believe, if your line settles down to 8 Mbps (instead of 2 Mbps which it is now), you may not want to switch to other provider
2. Since past few days, MTNL is a bit slow. These bouts happen on and off and I am sure it will be fine soon. I have never had problems with speed.
3. Hathway 2 Mbps plan is definitely there. You can check it out with Sai Star.
4. I am not too comfortable about other players like You and all. Don't have much idea. Of the ones available in our area (Borivli East), the ones I trust are MTNL, Hathway and Airtel.

One email id which has helped me in the past is wecare@mtnl.net.in
Try the numbers d5aqoep has mentioned above. If you cant get through, try this email and tell them their problem and to increase your porfile speed.
If all still doesnt work, just meet the DGM at your MTNL branch office. They usually help out in this situation

1. Still cannot. I dropped a mail to wecare regarding the same, hope they reply soon.
2. I agree. I never had any speed or disconnection issues on my previous plan. I'll wait for a few days before making a decision.
3. Actually I have a pdf of Sai Star's plans... there is definitely a 2mbps unlimited plan however it is 5k a month. I'll still call and check with Sai Star.
Thanks

EDIT QUESTION: Is Sai Star the nearest Hathway distributor, is there none actually in Borivli East?

Last edited:
What is the Attainable Rate (Kbps) shown in your router statics? Also, when you pickup the handset do you hear any disturbance in line? It is possible your line has went bad and hence the disturbance. Are youtube videos playing smooth ? (its because youtube videos are usually streamed from indian servers and hence they must work fine. Finally, have you tried changing your spliter (I assume you have one). It is possible your spliter is gone bad.

Edit: I forgot, I came to forum to let people know latest problem with mtnl. Pages are not loading in one click, i have to hit refresh for pages to load properly, this problem only exists when using mtnl since last 2-3 days. Not having problems with other providers.

What is the Attainable Rate (Kbps) shown in your router statics? Also, when you pickup the handset do you hear any disturbance in line? It is possible your line has went bad and hence the disturbance. Are youtube videos playing smooth ? (its because youtube videos are usually streamed from indian servers and hence they must work fine. Finally, have you tried changing your spliter (I assume you have one). It is possible your spliter is gone bad.

Edit: I forgot, I came to forum to let people know latest problem with mtnl. Pages are not loading in one click, i have to hit refresh for pages to load properly, this problem only exists when using mtnl since last 2-3 days. Not having problems with other providers.
No disturbance on the handset. YouTube videos playing at 1 mbps speed, no problems there. By splitter you mean that little box where the net cable divides into one that goes to the phone and other to the router? If yes, then I don't know. It was provided by MTNL and was never touched by anyone (is there a way to check whether its functioning properly)
Lastly, I'm also having the same problem as you. I thought it was due to the plan change. Some random websites just dont load until you hit refresh.

UPDATE: I just rebooted my router and my stats updated to this. Looks like the Data Rate upgraded however I'm still getting 1 mbps speed
Data Rate
:
8192 2045 kbps
Max Rate
:
12100 2089 kbps

No disturbance on the handset. YouTube videos playing at 1 mbps speed, no problems there. By splitter you mean that little box where the net cable divides into one that goes to the phone and other to the router? If yes, then I don't know. It was provided by MTNL and was never touched by anyone (is there a way to check whether its functioning properly)
Lastly, I'm also having the same problem as you. I thought it was due to the plan change. Some random websites just dont load until you hit refresh.

UPDATE: I just rebooted my router and my stats updated to this. Looks like the Data Rate upgraded however I'm still getting 1 mbps speed
Data Rate
:
8192 2045 kbps
Max Rate
:
12100 2089 kbps
Aayush can you share your speedtest.net speed result, I think you are confusing something.

Aayush can you share your speedtest.net speed result, I think you are confusing something.
My speedtest result
Ping 9ms, Download 1.01mbps, Upload 0.71mbps
My router stats as of now:
SNR Margin
:
14.3 8.3 db
Line Attenuation
:
33.5 21.8 db
Data Rate
:
8192 2045 kbps
Max Rate
:
14248 2125 kbps
POWER
:
19.1 12.8 dbm
CRC
:
3166 39

Well, you are having a link speed of about 8Mbps so if you are not getting that much, its an issue with MTNL. As for hathway, two of my friends just switched last month. I haven't seen the connection in person for one but at my second friend's home, he has 8Mbps upto 50GB plan for 3500/3month. He downloaded 70GB+ last month but had his 8Mbps connection and didn't got down to 1Mbps as it should. This month, he downloaded 100GB+ and still no slowdown. He get about 10-12 Mbps and YouTube videos load at 9Mbps on avg. I have seen torrent speeds till 11.2 Mbps. No login on his line. The other friend has login page. So I don't know how to get rid of it or how they do decide. Kandivali east. The speed didn't went down for the other friend either. at least that's what he said

UPDATE: So suddenly on the 1st of December, I started getting my designated 8mbps speeds...still getting them without drops. Torrents download at 500-750kbps depending on the connection and YouTube videos stream properly at HD. However I feel that ironically my browsing has gotten worse than 1mbps. The website doesn't load properly and I have to hit refresh at least 5-7 times. It happens with any random sites and sometimes they load in a jiffy or dont load even when I hit refresh 10+ times. It is highly unstable. It's not a speed issue as I said about YouTube and Torrents however trying to load that youtube video takes a hell lot of time. For Facebook, I get this error
This webpage is not available

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG

I tried using a proxy and my connection to FB was a lot more stable :/ This feels irritating and annoying since my videos and torrents work great but the simplest of browsing experience is hindered. I cannot even access 192.168.1.1 for checking my stats. The page is still loading.

Well, you are having a link speed of about 8Mbps so if you are not getting that much, its an issue with MTNL. As for hathway, two of my friends just switched last month. I haven't seen the connection in person for one but at my second friend's home, he has 8Mbps upto 50GB plan for 3500/3month. He downloaded 70GB+ last month but had his 8Mbps connection and didn't got down to 1Mbps as it should. This month, he downloaded 100GB+ and still no slowdown. He get about 10-12 Mbps and YouTube videos load at 9Mbps on avg. I have seen torrent speeds till 11.2 Mbps. No login on his line. The other friend has login page. So I don't know how to get rid of it or how they do decide. Kandivali east. The speed didn't went down for the other friend either. at least that's what he said

If your friend is in Kandivli East, I'll assume the ISP is Sai Star However when I asked they only provided me with the 50mbps plan sheet saying this is the only one they have. I want a list of those local plans since the plan your friend is using is really similar to mine and if the speed doesn't drop that might be one of the best alternatives to me.